My Anthem

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Lazybones awakened by the hammer!

Justice Gopal Sri Ram has been in the news a lot these days.
Today's news hammered up my CNY Lazybones!

At my workplace -- which works in tandem with Bursa Malaysia (or the KL Stock Exchange if you prefer the old Moniker, and Sdr Im, this is NOT the name of a dame!...:) -- I re-started my human engine last Friday. It was rusty, not lusty.

I gave it another jump-start Monday (yes, Yesterday...), butt it's a case of the body being willing, but the spirit was not. I managed to type less than 100-word work related stuff, five times less than my Blog post? Now you can see why I earn a church mouse's aloudwance!:(

This morn Justice Sri Ram oooomph-ed up my engine a few notches -- using automotive parlance, "There's a ThaiGal in my tank!"


from The Star, page 3,
*a Tuesday With No Worries
February 7, 2006


Court won’t overrule tribunal


PUTRAJAYA: Awards by the Consumer Claims Tribunal should not be overturned unless there is a clear-cut error, the Court of Appeal has held.

The court should be slow in interfering with decisions of the tribunal as it was created by Parliament with the intention to protect consumers, said Court of Appeal Justice Gopal Sri Ram.

“If we start injecting common law, contract law and the various other laws, it would be like us taking a parang and chopping what Parliament intended,” he said, adding that the tribunal applied consumer law, which was based on equity and justice.

“Unless there is a clear-cut error, we will leave the award alone.”

He said this when he and Court of Appeal Justices Hashim Mohd Yusoff and Mohd Noor Abdullah unanimously restored the Consumer Claims Tribunal award given to a freelance language teacher, who was dissatisfied with the quality of teaching and instruction provided to her children by a Kumon Method of Learning Centre in Selangor.

Justice Sri Ram said it was high time consumers were protected from producers of goods and services.

You can get blood from stone or even life back from God but you will get no money back from the trader. This kind of bad trading practice must cease," he said.

“Parliament got fed up, and that is why it created a special tribunal.”

The three-men bench unanimously set aside a High Court order to quash the Tribunal’s decision to award 41-year-old Hazlinda Hamzah RM4,070 on her claim of being “short-changed” by the Kumon centre.

“We are satisfied the learned judge was wrong in this case and, for the reasons which will be given in due course, this appeal is allowed,” Justice Sri Ram said.

On the submission by Kumon counsel Y.T. Ling that the written decision by former tribunal chairman Eddie Yeoh – given after the High Court wrote several letters to him – was an afterthought, Justice Sri Ram said: “That is a very serious allegation against a very senior and respectable public officer. Eddie Yeoh has served the Government with distinction.”

When Ling submitted that there were no findings by the tribunal, Justice Sri Ram interjected: “The tribunal found that Kumon gave bad service. The fact that this lady (Hazlinda) filed a complaint at the Tribunal shows that she’s a civic-conscious and responsible citizen.”

On Feb 21, 2001, Hazlinda, 41, enrolled her three children in the Kumon centre in USJ4, but 23 months later, she withdrew her children and enrolled them in another centre.

She found many discrepancies between the quality of teaching and instruction of the first centre and that of the second.

On March 26, 2003, Hazlinda filed a complaint against Kumon with the tribunal and her grouses included the quality of service of the first centre she had enrolled her children in.

She asked for the return of course fees totalling RM7,740 that she paid for her three children, as well as costs.

About a month later, the Tribunal allowed Hazlinda’s claim and ordered Kumon to pay her 50% of the fees and RM200 costs, for a total of RM4,070.

However, on May 24, 2004, the High Court allowed Kumon’s application for a judicial review and quashed the tribunal’s decision.

DESIDERATA: The portions highlighted by me are the relevant and significant points hammered out by what I deem a learned bench. I'm encouraged that the judges in recent times have been more vocal and atune to protecting the community and public interest -- the common man in the street -- against the big corporates and powerful lobbies, and keeping wolves and vultures at bay.

I particularly like the flowery metaphor used:“You can get blood from stone or even life back from God but you will get no money back from the trader. This kind of bad trading practice must cease," he said.

My ER, especially Y&A ones, don't you think that you'll learn a thing or two sitting in Justice Sri Ram's courtly presence?

When I hammered out today's post title, I sudddenly recalled the connection with an American ditty:
Now choir gals&boys, please rise, and let's YumSING!

The Hammer Song (If I Had a Hammer)

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning,
I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land.
I'd hammer out danger, I'd hammer out a warning,
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters,
All over this land.


Well if I had a bell, I would ring it in the morning,
And I would ring it in the evening, all over this land.
I'd ring out danger, I'd ring out a warning,
I'd ring out love between my brothers and my sisters,
All over this land.


Now if I had a song, I would sing it in the morning,
I would sing it in the evening, all over this land.
I'd sing out danger, I'd sing out a warning,
I'd sing out love between my brothers and my sisters,
All over this land.


Well I've got a hammer and I've got a bell,
And I've got a song to sing, all over this land.
It's a hammer of justice, it's a bell of freedom,
It's a song about love between my brothers and my sisters,

All over this land,
All over this land.

18 comments:

Dangerous Variable said...

It is a first step in a bigger leap forward. Businesses be warned!

JOEPSC said...

Hi Desi,

You may use Trini Lopez's hammer to nail those recalcitrant traders.
But if have that hammer, I know whose head I would love to bash.

Over here in Sing-land, dishonest traders are black-listed and named in a book circulated to tourists for their protection. This is, of course, after being dealt with by the consumer association here.

Howsy said...

Desi,
Have you ever attended that Kuman or Kumon or watever mon and Erican? You might want to follow the trend of setting up these language centres to speed up Spiritedestination formation.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chong y l said...

hi most EsteemedReaders:

This morning WedNURSEday Feb 8, 2006 -- also the 11th dae of CNY of Man's Best Friend, I'm inclined to goodwill and gooder cheer and goodest humour.

to Danegrous V, Joe-psc and Howsy, thanks for constant visits and conversations at Desi's Place.

DV: agree it's a leap. but here sometimes they then do a reverse Hop-Step-and-Jump. I still harbour some HOPE yet.Let's keep our fingeys crossed.:)

joe.psc:
Maybe we should sponsor all our Law-makers and councillors on study-tours to Sing-land, no need lah to Egypt unless they want to make Belly-dancing our national dance.:(

Howsy:
Com'on, YL's engrund was all learnt in the library (liked the AC!) luv-making with Enid Blyther and Sir Arthur Conan the wat? (B?) Desi has bisexual tendencies in deed...:) OR :(?

Then, from The Star, pic caption HEAD!
Deadly rubble!
Then followed a DELUGE of comments and exchanges obviously on another MALAYSIAN ISSUE, but hey, there's a TIME AND PLACE FOR EVERYTHING.

Read Sexty comments that follow! my ER if you have the patience....
Also read my response that follows...Patience is also some ER' nama, rite?
Dat's a rhetorical Q!

chong y l said...

APPEAL TO
*reek
*konek
*ning pan bee
*vesewe
*hong yang
+yoy
+kelly
+samp
+shinwee
+romsam

The Group of 10 -- G10, may I call thee? -- please email me at "chongyl2000@yahoo.com" and
CONVINCE ME the relevance of your comments to my Post's TOPIC, which I basically lauded a panel of judges' findings in a Consumer Claims Tribunal case, and tied it with The Hammer Song of worldwide cause of Justice.

To my reading, all the 10 views are well written and centred on a debate about Malaysia's poltical issues like NEP, Education, concerns and state of non-Malay Malaysians -- are you people acting in "concert"?

I'm letting these 10 comments stay for another 24,
then if I don't hear from you people with Rationales to conveince me enough the comments should stay, I'd pull them OUT at 10.17am tomorrow.

Seya!:) OR :(?


PS: DV, Joe.psc and Howsy:
Help me dissect the case of G10 (?) above worthy of SDherlock minds?

chong y l said...

NOTE TO ALL ESTEEMED READERS:

After the preceding "initial response" to G10, I then a pplied my Sherlock mind, and looked at the TIMELINE, starting with Reek at 2.12am and followed in QUICK SUCCESSION .... ending with romsam at 2.28am with marathon entries in 16 minutes!
So Dr Watson says: all entries by the "foolhardy commenter/s acting in concert" posing as 10 persons ABUSING Desi's Blog.
I'm removing the comments 30 minutes from now, BUT advise the Commenter/s:
CEASE and DESIST!
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

JOEPSC said...

Hi Desi:

I have read those comments before and I remember one of them clearly - by 'ming pan bee' at 2.14am - it was written by someone else ("human book") at M. Bakri blog: Posted in Uncategorized, An Education System Worthy of Malaysia | 53 Comments »
January 20th, 2006 at 4:24 am

You can check it out. Your mentee, John , is quite regular there.

I believe all the 10 comments are copied from others by one person. They are interesting comments btw.

chong y l said...

Joe-psc:

thanks a million for thy detective work -- you make hercule Poirot more than proud, and Shylock envious too.
as for the refrence to "ming pan bee", I add:

Dion't hiigh-jack others' writings and transfer them wholesale onto others' blog -- it's UNethical, it's DEVILISH if I may add, and normally Desi does not travel into that territory.
Butt rest assured, I'm a very proud owner of Desi's Place and don't take kindly to Hijackers. :( or Jackos:( or JACKarses.:(
"May Satan remain with thee, starting with Reek-ing...and keep your kind and ilk constant company.
I don't enjoy your CONverspoisons.
I:
S:
A: amen/amin.