My Anthem

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Some Poems Borrowed at Priceless Interest

Last Sunday I said I'd try to narrate Encounter 2 of Universal Truth and Godliness; but while the spirit is willing, the body is spirited elsewhere and tear.

So Almighty-willing, sext Sunday?

First, a special message to a cyber-friend whose name is part of RM20million My Dream I-LAND spiriteDEStination.

I reprise from somewhere in cyberspace
when in dark moments friends bringeth forth
rays of light
to shine through fog, mist and storms
And RELIEF cometh true as a heart resonates
to voices of empathy, consolation
like a bridge o'er troubled water
from out of despairing failing light
emerging from sprays of lashing rain and Nature's fury

SweetSpirits receiveth her Nick safely home
and they taste once again the Joy of Young times
frugal dimes notwithstanding
safe times
close times
Friends embrace
Almighty Bless. ~~ DEsi


Forever Young Lyrics

Bob Dylan

May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.


May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.


May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.


SECOND, the following comprises a few poems, some ANON, (Madmonk, art thou so modest you don't want thy name attached?) which Desi would gladly claim ownership if only certain Voices out dare nodded their head.


The Cold Within


Six humans trapped by happenstance
in black and bitter cold.
Each one possessed a stick of wood,
or so the story's told.

Their dying fire in need of logs,
The first woman held hers back.
For of the faces around the fire,
She noticed one was black.

The next man looking 'cross the way
Saw one not of his church,
And couldn't bring himself to give
The fire his stick of birch.

The third man sat in tattered clothes;
He gave his coat a hitch.
Why should his log be put to use
To warm the idle rich?

The rich man just sat back and thought
Of the wealth he had in store,
And how to keep what he had earned
From the lazy, shiftless poor.

The black man's face bespoke revenge
As the fire passed from his sight,
For all he saw in his stick of wood
Was a chance to spite the white.

And the last man of this forlorn group
Did naught except for gain.
Giving only to those who gave
Was how he played the game.

The logs held tight in death's stilled hands
Was proof of human sin -
They didn't die from the cold without,
They died from the cold within.


__________________________________


Are you seeking liberation?

I have not heard from thee
I thought I saw you just yesterday
it's also like eternity
Time is frozen
in summer heat of love-making
in springtime of dancing among daffodils
in saying farewell in the fall
but cold, cold winter freezes body, bones and all

In your journey of wanderlust
do you seek Truth or love?
Or liberation from human wants?
Is it truly purity,
lberation of body and mind?

Do you suffer not apprehension
like all humans do most times
Not finding One's true self?

Some fly to unknown nooks and corners
Seeking liberation
In new places, among new faces
in new and bold adventures
But the bird still need to come Home
To where the heart is
Beating to a familiar beat
Touching a familiar rhyme

Isn't it time?


___________________________________

If You Forget Me

By Pablo Neruda


I want you to know
one thing.
You know how this is
if I look at the crystal moon,
at the red branch of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch near the fire the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,

as if everything that exists:
aromas, light, metals were little boats that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me.

Well, now,
if little by little you stop loveing me
I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you.

If you think it long and mad,
the wind of banners
that passes through my life,
and you decide
to leave me at the shore
of the heart where I have roots,
remember
that on that day,
at that hour,
I shall lift my arms
and my roots will set off
to seek another land.

But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetness,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine.



____________________________________________

And for Nostalgia sHakes among friends, I plucked this off anakmerdeka.blogspot.com's garden, trying to lure the Eve itno the bright daylight. It's daylight robbery, sort of! Butt still/steal silence. As coy as Jena before the PM arrives. Of course, she's to live up to her nama, AM!:)


Thursday, January 25, 2007


THE UNCOMMON MAN



I do not choose to be a common man.
It is my right to be uncommon if I can.

I seek opportunity - not security.
I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled,
dulled,
by having the State look after me.

I want to take the calculated risk;
to dream and to build;
to fail or succeed.

I refuse to barter incentive to a dole.


I prefer the challenges of life
to the guaranteed existence;
the thrill of fulfillment to the calm state of Utopia.

I will not trade freedom for benefiance
nor my dignity for a handout.

I will never cower before any master
nor bend to any threat.


It is my heritage
to stand erect, proud and unafraid;
to think and act for myself;
to enjoy the benefits of my creation,
and to face the world boldly and say -
This I have done!


- Anon

Anon: can I replace with Desiderata-YL Chong, ah?
24 June 200SE7EN

********************
And because the names are familiar, I also reprise, wit':) or withOoouch permit!:(

posted by Anak Merdeka at 11:18 AM

8 Comments:
Helen said...
Amen...



26/1/07 15:06
Maverick SM said...
Wah...now super poem! I really am absorbed into it.

27/1/07 12:33
desiderata said...

anak M:

Well recited, got me excited.
For my sycophancy
where's the handout I fancy?

2 comments:

Arena Green said...

That's two you pinched off me - why so nostalgic Desi? 31 August is coming up, are you feeling sorry for yourself & our homeland for not living up to the promises of 50 yrs ago?

chong y l said...

dear AM, a belated response:

I was "spirited" by your comment, so I rise again from some ebbs of despondency and despair because there had been so much pessimism in the air (from friends and coffee-shop interactions...I am a card-carrying PKR member, remember?) So kaypoh a li'l, cun?:)
Butt some1 is steal avoiding Desi at MengKee CON Bf on sundaes!:) I amsaying adieu, D*art-in!:):)