My Anthem

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Interesting Suit: Mike Chong, Ah Long?

I first read the NST print newspaper dated June 9, 2007 page 8, and there ws a report by its own reporter A. Hafiz Yatim headlined:

Michael Chong
files defamation
suit against daily



On surfing to NST Online wanting to do a quick C&P, I was greeted by a Bernama version:

» NewsBreak
2007/06/08

Michael Chong sues Chinese daily
BERNAMA




KUALA LUMPUR: MCA Public Service and Complaints Department head Datuk Michael Chong today filed a defamation suit against Guang Ming Daily for publishing a report which allegedly referred him as "Ah Long King".

The suit was filed at the High Court (Civil Division) Registry through Messrs Amrit & Co. Named as defendants in the suit were the Chinese daily’s publisher, Guang-Ming RiBao Sdn Bhd, and chief editor, Ch’ng Li Suang.

In the statement of claim, Chong said that daily had on Dec 8, 2006, published a report which gave a meaning that he was "Ah Long King" and supported unlicensed money lending activities.

The report also carried a meaning that he could not be trusted, a criminal, a liar and a dishonest person and not fit to head the MCA Public Service and Complaints Department, he said.

Because of the report, Chong said, he was hated, ridiculed and humiliated by society members, friends, staff and members of MCA and other political parties.
Also following the report, the public had called him “Ah Long King” and he had been summoned by the MCA president for explanation on unlicensed money lending activities.

He said the publication of the report had severely tarnished his professional status, character and reputation and exposed him to public scandal.

Besides exemplary and aggravated damages, he sought an injunction to prevent the defendants from repeating or publishing the alleged defamatory sentences. He also sought an apology from the defendants and to have it published in all media which had published the alleged defamatory sentences.

Meanwhile, MCA Public Service and Complaints Departmet chief legal adviser Datuk Theng Book told reporters that Chong was seeking RM10 million in damages. — BERNAMA

Rank this story

DESI: Since NST asked readers to rank this story, I gave it a TenOnTen.
But Desi would not comment on the suit. My dear ER (EsteemedReaders-lah, why you ask wan?) are similarly advised NOT TO COMMENT on said item.

Please cooperate; I won't co-opt, I won't copulate either for I ain't that sort of politikus.

UPDATEd @5.20pm, YOU MAY COMMENT ON THE UPDATEd ISSUE!

I read NST's report in the copy bought by mGf Mr Coww at breakfast.
At lunchtime I spent a precious RM1.50 (I dropped RM1.20 at the 7ELEVEN counter and walked off... the sweetie called me back in raised desibelles that "Sekarang RM1.50 wickedend!"

I scoured the paper thoroughly for another news treatment on the MICHAEL CHONG ISSUE.
I no see any. Did you see any?
First I closed one eye. Then I opened BOTH eyes. Still no see any.
Unless I miss'd somethin' -- which is possible but not probable because I'm approaching V2020 seriously -- I think The People's Paper had failed in its primary duty of keeping the Readers informed. And this public figure from MCA -- though a Datuk and belonging to the party that has indirect majority equity control over the highest-circulating English daily -- defintely was a newsmaker with his law suit against another daily, Chinese it may be.

Did I hear mGf from Ipoh whisper: What you expect, double Latuk protecting the interests of single Latuk-lah!

Well, now we know where some highly placed journo's dedication/loyalty lies, don't we?

8 comments:

chong y l said...

TO ALL READERS:

I seek your full cooperation.

My dear ER are advised NOT TO COMMENT on said item. I'm Posting this FOR THE RECORD.

Miss Patience says she's also Virtuous,So wait for the suit to be heard in Court, can? (This is definitely a Rhetorical Q!) And NOTE that "definAtely" is not spelt with an A like that. In Desi's Vocab, that ranks a ZeloOnTen!

chong y l said...

COMMENTS are now welcomed but restrict them to the ISSUE observed by Desi that The Star OMITTED carying this particular news report. Thank You ~~ Desi@5.33pm

Anonymous said...

For those who are uninitiated, try dealing with Michael Chong when you have a problem. Chances are that you have a maoutain to surmount, bigger than the problem itself. The old fox Datuk is no more the young geuine Michael who was working his arse out to help the needy in years gone by.

Anonymous said...

Even the great Titanic sank!

Anonymous said...

Do you rear cats at home? Remove the shit and the smell still stinks!

Anonymous said...

Desi,

Don't defame me or else I'll sue you for teh tarik for the next five years, three cups a day including public holidays, a piece of roti canai for 10 years (one a day), dosai (a piece a day) for the next 20 years, and a piece of fried chicken for the next 50 years. Can you calculate see if it tallies to RM10 million. ha, ha....that will make me rich in bodyfats!! madmonk

chong y l said...

dear anon @805PM, 1209PM, 232PM and semi-Anon @450PM -- why why why and why you people did NOT follow Request1 wan?

But okay, I will let you pass since you did not intrude what I worry about --Prejudicial or Subjudicial comments.

anon1: you waited till the lust cow came home iszit?
anon2: I thot I heard diCaprio sirvived the Titanic and the sweet refrain of "Our love can go one forever ..." still sweeps the SE7EN Seas! (Hope I quote'ritely:(
anon3: I no no cats at home; got Tygers, which I let loose on those who call me fRiend but I think minus the "R" is apt:(

Ah, Madmonk , I think my fRiend from mantin nunnery knows thee, be carrefool your cover may be blown! -- I'm very carrefour wan, no suit amore. Hey, Come out of hyde-ing in Russia and Comment-lah on Second Request...On second thot, bader knot!:( I steal need tehtarik forver and a dae + sundae from thee!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Desi,

I owe you a teh tarik. Can I bribe you with a roti canai as well. As a madmonk and I give my fullest respect to the belated Mother Teresa. Who is Michael Chong, trying to duplicate a Lee Lam Thye? A salaried employee of a political organization paid to do community service! Compared to many befrienders who "volunteered their free time and personal sacrificies" to help the less fortunates. Come on, just use comparison and common sense. Many don't even get a datukship for all their virtues and good heartedness. So what so great about MC? Right. Madmonk