My Anthem

Friday, June 01, 2007

Inspirations from Abroad

I have been engaging occasionally with a fellow Blogger, Jason Evans, based in Pennsylvania, USA. Qualified as a lawyer, he also writes for a living, and has run severeal writing contests at his Blog, attracting entries from near and far.

I find a recent post interesting and revealing, and I extract the initial paragraphs. For more, surf to clarityofnight.blogspot.com:

________________INSPIRATIONS_____________


Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Inspirations

by Jason Evans

Once in a while, a person speaks some words which stay with us. Maybe it was praise, or maybe it was tough love. I'd like share some of the quintessential moments in writing when a person cared enough to point me the right way.Think about some of your own moments when someone reached out to you and inspired you. It doesn't have to be about writing. It can be about life in general. Feel free to share in the comments.

Whatever you do in life, I hope you make a place for writing.--9th Grade English Teacher, 1984

The first person who seriously encouraged me to write. His enthusiasm was strong and infectious. I owe a great deal to him.

The writing feels like it came out of a meat grinder. It's all the same.--College English Professor, 1988

The first direct, blunt, and undeniably correct criticism I received. He taught me that stories are more than mere communication. Magic happens when the language itself has wings, when you strive to say things in new ways.

Do you want me to do this?--A friend uncomfortable with my reaction to a critique of my first novel, 2001

I learned that there are two people responsible for a critique. The one giving it should be firm and honest, yet positive. The one receiving it should fight the urge to be defensive, hurt, or depressed.

_____________________________________________

Desiderata: I believe one Eugene Chua would feel some synchonocity with the third quote by Jason; I did. Even as I write this, I could picture the half-smile sliding cross mGf from Pahang's face. No, not the face of Pahang, Eugene's.

I shall pause here for a w'ile while I think about such moments of awakening in a writer's journey, ah, but before I say adieu, let me knock in a short one.

I think you have coipied some lines from somewhere, I don't know, Chong. Better you write something original. A cikgu commenting on a poem I wrote at age 10.

I must admit I did steal one or two phrases (from a piece of writing by a Singaporean? Cos it had some reference to the republic Down south I had not visited then. The furthest I had travelled away from Peyton Place Furong was Kuala Lumpur, the nation's capital; ven then, I was not impressed!) Perhaps Desi learnt from young about the danger of this thingy called Plagiarism, but again, I remember Juslo's...

No comments: