My Anthem

Monday, June 11, 2007

I borroweth from clarityofnight foolly...

I lazily surfed to an US attorney-writer jason evans' blog -- clarityofnight.blogspot.com for some Inspiration, and sure enough, he obliged! I think the following extract is so timely and apt to yesterday's PLAYfool, and I don't wish to weigh my ER down with Mondaebiru. I normally steal partially from other Blogs with attribution, but as Jason's Friday (childe born that day is loving and giving...) entry was short and sassy, I reprised in fool; hope he accepts a token "gift" in return in place of royalty as I don't hail from a kingly residence.

______________ Reprise from clarifofnight.blogspot.com____________

Friday, June 08, 2007

Morality Poems--Society


Have you ever heard of the New England Primer? First published in 1690, it was part religious message, part English text book, and part introduction to Puritan ruler-whacking goodness.

I've always been fascinated by the little rhyming couplets the Primer uses as a mnemonic to teach the alphabet. They are ingenious vehicles for indoctrination. It's a lost art (probably a good thing).

These "Morality Poem" posts are my little attempt to philosophize about the world New England Primer style. Can you guess in one word what I'm trying to describe in each of these "lessons?" Hint: each represents something damaging to society.

The mind of justice hears and weighs,
The knife of the righteous blindly slays.


Public faces wave the fist
Then shiver with secret bedrooms' kiss.



(My first attempt at one of these was a little while ago. Strangely enough, this post gets the most random hits from Yahoo and Google searches. Folks are searching for moral guidance, I suppose.)
Labels: morality poem


posted by jason evans at 12:07 AM

_________________________________________________

DESI's vain artempt at a a couple of couplets Primer-style, can?

Minister on high preaches morality
Caught with pants down seeks immunity


Dis blardy writHer 'rites mostly nonsense verse
Can you stand my swearing, or thou prefer my Werse?

2 comments:

Helen said...

Dropping by to say HI!! :-)

chong y l said...

Hi-back2back!:):) to someone rising like JamesBondgal fromtheazureblueseas--watch GreatWhite or Black behind thee!:(