My Anthem

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Jest to dismiss the humour about ...

Desi's BIRDdae.
NO, it's NOT true. Jest some rumour started by a JP.

Or Desi is running out of time, NOT probable; ... dime, it's possible.

Butt 'cos howsy.blogpsot.com says he/she/it (I'm no gender reader from afar, or even on close-up) MISSES Desi!
Hey, J(H)osey (ni niknamanya), sila bagi tahu anda adalah Encik, Cik atau Datuk/Datin atau Ton/Tonne?

I'm back a fractional day early!
Who else MISS'd me? Legs up.
Alrite, I didn't see any! Or I'd tarik it hard!



The Printer's Devil can create havoc sometimes.

I remember seeing Publib Bank being rendered in all its naked glory by The Star reference to it as a Pubic Bank, captured for posterior-ity:(? by JeffOoi!

So was I startled a bit when page W42 of The Star, March 9, 2006 -- not agin! -- ran this as a birief down its right hand column:

WANTI-TERROR LAW
APPROVED:
Law enforce-
ment officuials get to keep
their anti-terror tools, but
with some new currbs, under
the USA Patriot Act renewal
passed by the House in an
cliffhanger vote.

This scribe has engaged in WORD PRAY-PLAY -- ala PCK, The Best in JB and Sin-Land -- Best in Furong, maybe even the Hole of Peninsular Malaysia, also perhaps some caves in Sabah, and Cats dens in Sarawak mayhaps; Desi's Place is just to lighten up -- jest up? -- this o'lady very tensed up cuntry called Malaysia-eh.

But on serious occasions like when this thingy called Death visits, Desiderata often is stumped for words. Men -- unlike Women -- generally do not fare well at WORDS at crisis-points in human affairs. They make very good CONsorting rascals, but very poor COMforting partners.

Hey, my Mail friends, do you agree?
and my Estemed fe-Mail friends, do you miss-agree?

But I recorded this for mGf William Wang & family -- always can rely on a fellow Poet to the Rescue! A poem without a title, but now often referred to by the first verse,which underwent many "versions", but from "Googling" research came this:

Mary Frye was acknowledge the writer of the poem, and she had confirmed the following interpretation as her original version (specifically apparently in her interview with Kelly Ryan for Ideals magazine in 2000.

(do not stand at my grave and weep)
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

It is likely that the mystery and magical appeal of Mary Frye's verse will continue. Probably the mystery has contributed to the poem's appeal. It is likely also that the poem will forever touch people, in the way that people are touched and inspired by Max Ehrmann's 'Desiderata', and by Rudyard Kipling's 'If', to name a couple of other worthy examples.

Mary Frye's 'Do not stand at my grave' and its timeless appeal provide a wonderful illustration of the power of language, and the power of ideas and concepts to spread far and wide, quite organically.

Beautiful words transcend all else; they inspire, console and strengthen the human spirit.

7 comments:

Howsy said...

"Ramblings of a sensitive+introvert plus very sarcastic at most times; mostly about the happenings of his home yard, as viewed from thousand miles away..."

Congratulations! It's a boy after all!

Tulis lebih sikit, Pakcik Desi!

sweetspirits said...

Hi Desi
I miss'd ya , between breaks Of caring for Em as she has been sick with a virus .So late nights for me and of course my mind has been immursed into another time and place.Yes Bryce Courtenays " April Fools day" 80 pages left to immurse in .There is a part of me that doesn't want to finish being immursed in this time and place , but i will finish it this morning.

tcz

sweetspirits said...

Desi
Btw
I really like the poem

(do not stand at my grave and weep)
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

I have read it before and many similar ones.

I can relate to it
I don't want a grave
I wish to be cremated
My ashes scattered at sunrise
along the oceans shore
No grave No headstone
For i will be remembered in thy hearts ,of those who love me.

Anyways on a lighter note
have a nice day
cheerz tcz

chong y l said...

howsy:
Pakcik ini bukan sorang The Preacher Man yang diseronokkan oleh That'Harlow'GalWentToParadiseWith,
jangan-lah buat Cunfession di Pubic!
Yu ada e-male saya, kan?
Oh brudder, you punya Bahasa sangat besta, dari mana sekolah you graduate? Konvent Bukit Bintang5 ke?
Have fun-d,will blog!:)

chong y l said...

sweets:
MISS'd me in double doze, eh?
I, da first mail here, alos MISS'd thee in triple dozes!:)

chong y l said...

ssssspirit:

You are like Desi in a way -- poet aspiring after Freedom and the Wandering Spirit unbounded by Man's artificial boundaries of Space, Time and Human Physical Limits.:):)

chong y l said...

Sweetspirits:

Butt when I breathe my last, Iwwant not my friends to shed any tears,
Xcept fo tears of joy, and maybe some PENsiveness
So they take out their PEN
and 'rite me some verses to rival
Mary Fried,
Max Erreed, and
Rudyard Keeped...
and on my Tombstone thus writ:
GO placid amid the noise and the haste
And remember ...
Desiderata with gladness:):):)