My Anthem

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

When I’m 64…

The type of role model for citizens in spiritedestination was spotted by Desiderata at lunchtime today – so appropriate, First Primeday.

“I have a heart problem and went through much stress, tension and plenty of burning the midnight oil. I am proud to have finally done it.” – Dr T.S. N. Rathakrishnan who graduated from the Melaka Manipal Medical College.

That was the lead highlight on the frontpage of The Star 12 September 2005.

The full story on page 6 further quoted the good doctor at that young age of sixty-four: “I almost called the whole thing off during the first two years of study in India ,,, studies and reference work were proving were proving to be too much.”

I was tempted on tHis lazy afternnon after a wealthy lunch to stop here, but THE bless'd Primeday RAINS THAT CAME ABOUT 1.00PM HELPS TO COOL DOWN DESI'S RISING BLOOD PRESSUE DUE TO SLEEP DEPRIVATION, also I haer some protestation. So to live up to my name which I said in my previous post means “charitable”, I am typing out a paraphrase of some 4 more paras from The Star report for mGf such as IMran who don’t want to part with RM1.20 to spend on a copy (he claims tightening the belt’, getting too fat, but Desi suspects he’s a real’kedekut” from Up North?...). So the report continues:

Heading: He’s finally a doctor at 64

MALACCA:
It has always been T.S.N. Rathakrishnnan’s drem to be a doctor.
He had to skip the convocation ceremony on Saturday as he was helping a friend set up another medical college, where he is to be the principal. His wife is a radiologist at a Kuala Lumpur private hospital while their son is a registrar at the neurology department of an university hospital in Singapore.

It took Rathakrishnan, a retired plantation manager SEVEN years to complete his medical studies, after he first enrolled at India’s Manipal Medical College.

DESIDERATA: That’s the role model for citizens at OUR I-LAND – demonstrating TRUE GRIT. Like Primrose, Yan – winners all. Desi qualifies not be age of 64, but being the Initiator for the i-land project, HOPE there is no objection please. We are very DEMOKRATIK on spiritedestination, as long as you do not proteseth too much against the founder-members, who comprise ……..

Mayhaps Desi's next Challenge is to ask Readers to GU'SS his age. I won't becos nobody will get it rite! Desi subscribes to Mark TWAIN's definition -- it is an issue of Mind over Matter!

A hint is that Desi is almost forty, going on 39 next year, 38 the year after ...On spiritedestination, we also enjoy Time Travel, as mGf Julese Verne taught founder Desi S-well. LoLs!:) as mGf fella (NOT sheila!) founders SweetS, Sab, and Kyels, will yell.:););)


Beatles song lyrics
by John Lennon/Paul McCartney

****When I'm 64****

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine,birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three,would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?
Hmm------mmm---mmmh.
You'll be older, too.Aaah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you.
I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, sunday mornings, go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty four?
Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wightif it's not to dear. We shall scrimp and save.
Ah, grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck, and Dave.
Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away.
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty four?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chong y l said...

hi YAN:

Gr8 of thee sharing with us the story -- we all learn about what this indefinable thing called L'VE, don't we, thru other's actions, others' sharings, our own Xperiences...

Don't apologise for taking up space for a "long" post -- luckily cyber-space is still FREE! It's your time that's precious, and your wwillingness to care and share.

Desi's Place is warmed by such telling -- anytime, and evrytime, Monday to Sundae, and especially on a Primeday!

H J Angus said...

Hi Desi
Good of you to highlight the new doctor.

Someone said,
"One is never too old to learn, but the moment you stop learning that is when you grow old."

Or something like that!

Why don't you install the type-in key so U don't get spam?

And thanks yan for sharing such a nice story. I am sure your patient must have been touched by your caring too.

chong y l said...

Hi h j angus:

Long time no see, how's the going so far?

I hope you are enjoying the ride, I do, tho I sometimes get overwhelmed by the "bad" vibes shooting at JoePublic from all directions.

We "seniors" just have to try seeing as many Rainbows from among the clouds, eh?

Yes, I too join thee in saying Terima Kasih to Yan for the "sharing".

Yan -- you are a rainbow on Desi's Place horizon;)

chong y l said...

Yan:

No worries on Primeday.

Yes, as Bloggers, we sometimes invites GUESTS who have interesting anecdotes to share to appear, and wer act an ANCHOR.

WoW, Desi is Now an anchor person; and
mGf Yan is enrolling to become a GOod doctor in SEVEN years time? But it costs RM500,000 -- for that sum, why don't we conduct journo courses and charge each student RM100,000. If we just get 10 s......, we are almost there!
Lols, wild and wicked thots are sometimes Aloud at Desi's Corner -- so keep in Touch if you aspire to be a journalist, kyels our first recruit? Aiyah, RM1,000 also can -- don't kNOw, geetiing Desperate here, influnced by Yan's referral of Desperate Houswewives?

H J Angus said...

My daughter will finish medical school next year; not a course we encouraged but she was quite passionate about it.

If your child does not talk about medicine, don't go there - the course is really terribly hard with major physical demands and brain trauma. Caused mainly by lack of sleep when on call - she mentions falling asleep while standing in the Op Theatre!

Besides on the first day at IMU, the talk to parents and students was "If you think you are going to make money, please don't do medicine."

Blogging is OK so far but appear to be running out of issues as most are the same old ones. Also not many comments on my blog, unlike yours! Gee I'm getting jealous.

yan - did not read the intro properly - guess I put my foot in my mouth. Come to think about it, 64 is not that far away. But reading your blog, I believe you would be that type of person.

chong y l said...

Hi h j angus:

Glad your daughter is joining the profession -- I salute all those who are engaged in the haelthcare profession, can even be akin to a callling for those who went in with a passion.

Good for her.

Yes, I also know of some cases of parents pushing their children to do medicine when it's not in the children's wishlist. Sad. Bad. Will turn out to be sqaure pegs in ....


h j angus -- blogging is a hobby to keep us on our toes -- and to Desi, as a writer who uses his crafty to earn B7B, I had strated with the premise, or promise, even if I get ONE reader a day, I'm happy:)

Don't worry about numbers -- just follow the heart's desire .. Blog when there's somethin one can contribute ...

In a year's time, we can then re-read what we've planted, and smile at some of the blooming flowers&F-gals! Lols, some proFUNity here!

Anonymous said...

I am touched by the story...

Love.. It creates happiness for us and also it can be destructive.. It may be pure but when one mis-used the power of love.. It can be really destructive.

chong y l said...

kyels:

Your Gen (X or Y?) are bloody lucky -- you can talk, see, touch Love so openly ...:)

During my time (ask h j angus ...) we can only quietly read about it in the libary, steal some looks from AFAR (it also standds fror Australian Foreign Affairs Review!); the most compose a pome or2 drwa a few sketches, send the,m by Slow mail.

You guys&gals just pen what's in your mind NOW, and send it off instantly ...Internet indeed, it's more like catching fishes in the Net!:)

I hope this situasi would help to reduce the suicide rate -- more communication channels, faster2! My thoughts only -- for the xperts views, I contacted the BefRienders, they have not responded...Patience, eh?