My Anthem

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Life Renewed

Today's post titled is plagiarised from a mNf (definition: N for New); I said yesterrday that fRiendship is at least two=way traffic, ofTEN it is extended to multi-way, and F1 introduces his/her fRiends to F2 and vice-versa. This lends meaning to making one's Life Anew, and simultaneously, make some of our lives RENEWED.


Monday's Child

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for their living,
And the child that is born on the sabbath day is bonny, blithe, good and gay.


DESIDERATA has also confess'd he does NOT know on which week-day he's born, and Mum is not more physically around to answer this question -- though I know she's always like my Guardian Angel Keeping Me and My Li'l Life in View.

I assume today I could have been born on a Saturday, so according to the li'l ditty reprised above,
"Today I must work hard for my living."


I'm continuing the subject of L've, falling out of L've, and reaching a certain point of No Return, which I hope teenagers today caught in such dire straits would not have to reach that precipice. Always, remember, seek out the BefRienders at 03-79568144.

As mortals who are born to be social animals and have a natural instinct to “love and want to be loved”, a partner who becomes one’s “soul mate” evokes in the loved one a tremendous feeling of tenderness and oneness that the condition is often like “in a dream”. As Stephen Foster's BEAUTIFUL DREAMER shows, the “beautiful dreamer” description, associated with the quiet and tenderness of “the moonlight”, enchanted with song (“soft melody”) sung in a low voice so that the quiet may not be disturbed.

We are all familiar with the phrase “Wine, Women and Song” – I guess some Players just get INtoxicated with this thing called LOVE.

Here’s a poet’s dedication:

To Celia

Drink to me, only, with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss but in the cup
And I'll not look for wine.
The thirst, that from the soul doth rise
Doth ask a drink divine:
But might I of Jove's nectar sup,
I would not change for thine.
I sent thee, late, a rosy wreath,
Not so much honouring thee,
As giving it a hope, that there
It could not withered be.
But thou thereon did'st only breath,
And sent'st it back to me:
Since when it grows, and smells, I swear,
Not of itself, but thee.

Ben Jonson (1573-1637).


BUT How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?

But not all love affairs end with the fairy tale ending of “they married and lived happily ever after”. Just as love can bring joy and love-making ecstasy, many affairs end in sorrow and despondency. Men and women will always fall in, and fall out of, love, but many will tell you that it is better to have loved, and failed, than never to have loved at all! Yes, love can be painfully one-sided, as many who tasted “rejection” would be too heart-broken or shy to testify -- so Sir John Suckling penned this admonishment to such a a love-lorn man:

Why so pale and wan fond lover?

Prithee, why so pale?
Will, when looking well can’t move her,
Looking ill prevail?
Prithee, why so pale?

Why so dull and mute, young sinner?
Prithee, why so mute?
Will, when speaking well can’t win her.
Saying nothing do’t?
Prithee, why so mute?

Quit, quit for shame! This will not move,
This cannot take her.
If of herself she will not love,
Nothing can make her:
The devil take her!


Compare the above with what follows by Shakespeare. The two poems share some common features in that they indicate that human nature is “unchanging” for the unlucky in love, who will always “pine and sigh”, and the rhyming and musical (sound) devices were used in both poems with a catchy effect, and such poems have to be read aloud (you are allowed to, even if thy neighbours complain you're neighing!) for full enjoyment.

Sigh no more, ladies,
sigh no more!
Men were deceivers ever,
One foot in sea, and one on shore;
To one thing constant never.
Then sigh not so,
But let them go,
And be you blithe and bonny,
Converting all your sounds of woe
Into hey nonny, nonny.

Sing no more ditties, sing no moe,
Of dumps so dull and heavy!
The fraud of men was ever so,
Since summer first was leavy.

Then sigh not so,
But let them go,
And be you blithe and bonny,
Converting all your sounds of woe
Into Hey nonny, nonny.



In modern times, very often such downcast youths would write to newspapers or magazines to seek advice on their “dilemma” of failed or rejected or even unrequited love. The “agony aunt” would normally express sympathy with the reader’s plight, then offer some insights on what life’s about to show empathy, leading to a final piece of advice that the “broken-hearted” lad/damsel should treat the affair gone sour as a “lesson in life”. The motherly counsel would run thus: “There are many fishes out there in the ocean – not just one – so go out there and you may be successful in your next fishing trip…”.

But sufferers of L'VE normally do not listen to advice. They only need some shoulders to cry on. Really, these words came from people who have been there. So if you are a fRiend, be there to lend your shoulders. That's the defining helping hand.

PS:

Uninitiated readers to Desi's Place may be tempted to ask: Why such a long post, man?
Short answer: To make up for Thursday's IMposter taking over Desi's Place and 1OR2 knotty RegularReaders making an MIA report at Seremban BalaiPolis all daway from Taiping&DU. DU-H! The polis char turned up at My Place, making me all red like a lobster, at SEVEN Saturday's morn. Before adjourning for late BF, I had to use black lipstick I "bollowed" one mGf to return from the red to the black. Have to pay for the BF, you see, as mGf des(s)serted Desi!

Goodness, Gracious,Me!

Amazing Grace Lyrics


"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.



T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.



Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.



The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.



When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.




"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

15 comments:

sweetspirits said...

Oh Yes Desi
We all want love in our lives to a degree.
Its kinda weird ,bcoz one can love another and be rejected That is life

I have my children ,there is no room in my life any more .I don't desire to love another in the sense of a partner.

Its funny in a sense that yes a person can say that they want to be with you and no matter how much one rejects that person they will still keep trying.

There was a time not long aga,this guy for over a yr was sending me like 7 emails per day n saying how he longed to come to oz and met me blah blah.He also was saying things like i only wanted for us to fall in love ,if only we'd met yrs ago blah blah.Those emails ect grossed me out
for i could tell ,by his words it was lust n nothing more.Honestly that guy turned me off men lol.

But after a yr of rejection he still tries,but bcoz of this i do not reply.

Anyway of course any one can find a new love ,but one must of cleaned out the closet on the old one first and not look to replace that person.

Sometimes i think it would be nice to have another in my life,watch a movie,whatever.But then i realise i am happy with being single, i don't feel incomplete:) .In the real world i have been single for 9 yrs, no dating,no bf at all.It's all good :)

imran said...

Hey Desi,

Long time no see. Sorry for being MIA, work takes me on outstation journeys. Anyway this new post is something new. Good to see that the L've bug has bitten you.

I agree that we humans wants to love and be loved. But then loved is not everything, and love does not conquer all. This is speaking from my own experience.

No point crying over rejection and suicide is definitely not the answer.

So what if a person is rejected? It is not the end of the world, and take it as a blessing and have this mindset of being too good for anyone. In the meantime embrace single life!

sweetspirits said...

Oh i love Amazing grace , its a fav of my on keyboard :)

cheerz tcz

Sabrina Tan said...

Love love...we always come around to this topic...one way or another...
As for romantic love...well, I shall reserve my comments on that.
Perhaps someday when I am more experienced, I shall say something about it. At the moment, too many things turn me off that arena.
But loving each other, as human beings should, NOW that is something that I truly treasure.
However sadly enough we don't see enough LOVE around in this world.
When I saw the Katrina images on TV, my heart sank.
ONe thing I would have to admire about those ppl in US, the celebrities and all actually took an initiative to do something about it.
Perhaps they might do it for the wrong reasons, but for Dianne Sawyer who was able to walk in the muddy waters with her boots; for Oprah to be able to be in the Super Dome with the foul smell; for Matthew McCaughnahey to be in the boats to rescue the animals, that is something that I can truly admire.
When tsunami struck Penang, we don't see any of our local celebrities doing that.
Most of you would be familiar with 1 Corinthians 13: Love is a not selfish..love is not conceited...
We should have that coming around more often.

chong y l said...

Brudder IM:

Glad to see you back -- I was about to file another MIA report at the balaipolis nearest you!

How's work coming along? I kNOw you R like Desi needing to work hard for a living (leave out that Loving eh, meanwhile?)!

Seriously, we miss you here, especially for C4; please take on Challenge 5, money or your life ...

Enjoy, Five times over!

Anonymous said...

Desi,

Amazing Grace is a nice song. Love it lots.

It's better for them to write to newspapers because at least they can let go some off their problems of their minds.

It's better than not speaking to anyone right?

Cheers!

chong y l said...

SweetSpirit:

You need to hire me as a Bodyguard as another off-screen Kevin Costner to stop these stalkers -- alright, amend that to STOP THAT STALKER.

But as long as it is via Cyber-Space, all you need to do is one "clikc" when you see that Nama, isn't it. Don't even read the contents.

On the subject of Love proper, I always quote my masters like Browning, Shakespeare, Max Ehrmann; me, I'm in the company of Greening, PluckPears and GrrrBagman.

No worries, you are a strong one, so I'm sure you can take care of yourself; after all, kyels and Sab are just aneCall away.

Me, I'm still raising funds for OUR I-LAND. Think I'll try my luck on some lottery -- I feel lucky toDie!

chong y l said...

PS to ssssspirit:

You sing AAF, I sing WM, trying to out-desibel each other. Then we'll smoke the peAcepipe, and
we DUET on Amazing Grace, OK docz?

chong y l said...

Sab:

I took on this subject partly INspired by YoungOnes like thee and kyels (plus other readers here not so acquainted at Deesi's Place, but I wish to tell 'em: pls make yourself equally at home , "No Discrimination on spiritedestination ...:)" and this is merely Dress Rehearsal while working towards that RealMcCoy.

Sab -- this place has been much enriched because of your Sharing&Caring, hence when I go on the run (IMposter, remember), take care of my guests, acting in carehoots with kyels, ss as co-hoRsts, eh?

Next time, I'll try to remember to bungkus some TTarik and Redwine, and GreenPeAce for drinks and some munch, to stop yougals from pulling PUNCHES at the hostess-in-absentia. A-Joker in deed!

chong y l said...

kyels:

Besides stealing blooming flowers from Primrose's garden, I also peep in at thy place, and I quietly have to ponder, yonder.

So philosophic nowadays, writing so d-e-e-p that Desi dares not take part in the CONversations going on lest I make myself see- through as that Emperor who wears birdday suit. Hope you undersatnd why I'm behaving like Mummy in 'both' 2sen/sense of Da word..

sweetspirits said...

Where Art Thou Bodyguard hehe
My cyberspace bodyguard :)
You know Desi , i nagged Lone about
thy stalker tsk tsk.
Anyways like you said its cyberspace n one click n its gone.But can still give one the creeps or heebee geebeeies tsk tsk.

Anywayz your going to sing Waltzing Matilda n i AAF and duet of AG sounds
good ... Oh well i've been glued to ebay tsk tsk time to cook dinner.

Oh a lottery hey maybe thats the only way to buy our i land hehe..
cheerz

chong y l said...

Hi hight spirited Sweets:

I just posted a second post on hot&humid Saturday cos of thy Nag-ging!

So to keep thee from nagging more, I'm getting a bit sore
I've cocked up Challenge S'X
This time, make 3 Educated GU'SS!

8.08pm, Saturday

sweetspirits said...

Okz i sniff sniff will take a break from nagging n log by next weekend :(
cyaz

Primrose said...

What a coincidence for I wrote a post on "Life anew" too...

chong y l said...

hi primrose:

Confess1: No, it's NO coincidence -- the plagiarthm was from your Garden!

Fess2:

Nice garden, but the "blooms" are stubbornly out of reAch .. problem is ON DESI'S END!
When I clicked on ARCHIVES of Blooms, the advice is "A pop-up winder was blocked"; this occurs also at other Blogs, even at PPS main page ping -- so it's no use Primrose handing Desi your keys -- Terima Kasih anyways, I need to fix my own entree ...:)