My Anthem

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

i count THEE among mGf in the plural

mGf is defined as myGOoDfRiend in both the singular and plural. GOoD is written thus as I believe they are all GOD-fearing people, so the Almighty is embedded in the good in them. Mutually, Desi hopes that they include me on their list -- as in Abou Ben Adheim's angelic list.

I am happy to report that one of mGf Mr Coww recently sat for the final part of a course on Theology that would see him authorised to be a Lay Pastor very soon. I have written substantially on Mr Coww – not so Ignorant or Insignificant as Desi and many other Cowws who stroll or stray here,(see http://ignorantcows.blogspot.com)-- in fact, he is quite scholarly, in both Chinese and English literature, and now the Scriptures – so I would be seeing less of him in four months’ time to discuss literature, but the Holy Manna is just as well.

I recently quoted a line to the effect: "One can readily see the ….. in thy neighbour’s eye, but can’t see the beam in one’s own eye."

I had left that …..”blank” , hoping one of my EsteemedReaders would respond to fill in the gap. But no, it was all Quiet on the Writers’ Front for some weeeeks. So I consulted mGf, soon to be Pastor Coww, what was that “word” I just could not recall, but I know it’s buried in the deep recesses of my mind. You know one of those times –- when you want to use that word, it escapes thee.

Mr Coww said it can be “thistle”, “thorn”, then (that light bulb came over my head!), I said “mote”; and Coww smiled, adding "also-can", adding somemore that “beam” can also be replaced by “branch”. But he said the most commonly pair quoted from the Bible are “speck” and “beam” respectively. (So Desi has not strayed so far fromthe straight&narrow after all -- can still use some Verses in the right context or for contest, just as GOoD as quoting from Julius Kaiser (!)"fRiends, Romans, countrymen, Lend me your ears ..." OR (!!) "Hail 'Itler! Thy woes be with thee!" The (!) is Shakespeare's, the (!!) is mine(d).

So now you know why Desi also calls him Counsellor with due respect. He also wants to tell me about YangKueiFei, the exquisite flower among many concubines of a Chinese Emperor whose beauty surpassed that of Cleopatra …but that’s for another day, not fitting this Wednesday, cos …I’ll explain later.

When I mentioned the impending celebration of Mr Coww’s moving on to serve out of Seremban -- to where the needs are greatest -- one mutual acquaintance, he heard me partially, and rambled on: “I have a friend in Port Dickson involved in agriculture who may be able to call on Mr Coww’s experise, do some soil tests …”. I was nonplussed while he shot off-tangent, then it dawned on this Coww it was a “g” instead of a “t” that led the acquaintance to believe Mr Coww was tending to “soil”, not “soul” terrain.

Desi was always challenged by Mr Coww to go on a “spirit-filled” mission, but I said I do my writing with “passion”. To me, the spiritual path amounts to a different calling, much higher than a mere writer like me. I have always held in high estem these fervent servants answering that calling to serve mankind, truly Service Above Self. No, Desi is not in that domain, far, far from it, I honestly told Mr Coww. I stand humbled.:)

Journalists have always put the subjects – VIPs and VVIPs in the limelight – while they do their jobs behind the glare of the public eye that it’s a RELUCTANT JOURNALIST who makes it as a media subject. I don’t know about others, my close circle of media friends are similarly inclined.

Yesterday one of mGf-cum-journo – YAN of yancorner.blogspot.com – was thinking aloud whether she should throw Desi a challenge to review Mitch Albom’s TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE. I begged to decline – citing “tiredness”, which is only half the truth, the OtherHalf is that Desi is committed to more work at a friend’s finance portal very soon as one of the staff is soon going on maternity leave. Desi is trying to fill her place – no, not the pregnancy, it’s that seat in front of da PC terminal looking at KLSE’s highs and lows and WhatHaveYous.

In recompense, I said I would render her WEDNESDAY’S CHILD, Matt Monro-style. The diction is clear, the delivery silky smooth, Matt’s, not Desi’s -- and the music is h-a-u-n-t-i-n-g-l-y beautiful. An if you aspire to speaking impeccable English, do it Matt Monro style. Remember Born Free, From Russia with Love …? Oh, I forgot I was Wednesday’s Child, not Sunday’s Meek&Mild!


“**
Wednesday's Child

Lyrics by Mack David
Music by John Barry
Vocal by Matt Monro

From the movie "The Quiller Memorandum"


Wednesday's child is a child of woe.
Wednesday's child cries alone, I know.
When you smiled, just for me you smiled,
For awhile I forgot I was Wednesday's child.


Friday's child wins at love, they say.
In your arms Friday was my day.
Now you're gone, well I should have known,
I am Wednesday's child, born to be alone.


Now you're gone, well I should have known,
I am Wednesday's child, born to be alone.

Wednesday's child, born to be alone.




I believe the composition is derived from this nursery rhyme:

“***
Monday's Child

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for their living,
And the child that is born on the sabbath day is bonny, blithe, good and gay.

***”


PS: So what am I going to do with Yan’s Challenge? I suggested to her to run another similar Challenge 5 at her weblog, coopting me as co-hostess, mainly serving TehTarik, bungkus from HariDas’, all the way from Seremban to Catsville. That’s where Yan resides, Kuching! Let’s visit her at Yancorner – In Touch, to see if Yan is brave enough to “ho®st” CHALLENGE 5 …

UPDATE @ 8.38AM:

"******* Yan said...
YAN happily accept's Desi's CHALLENGE 5 to run a
Booker Review of Mitch Albom's TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE.

The First Prize is an autographed copy of CHALLENGE TO
LOVE by Catherine De Costa (donutted by Desiderata;);
and also First PUBLICATIONS RIGHTS to BorneoPost
(where Yan has a little say!) to feature THE TOP
2or3 REVIEWS:);) where normal payments just like for any
other freelance contributions apply...

(3) mGf Desi has promised to be hardworking Judge (along with Yan Co-Pilot) and
his&her decisions are final&muktamad, to be announced
Three Days after BPost's use of the 2or3 reviews.

(4) Entries of at least 2,500 words must reach YAN by
Email at phylliswyy@gmail.com or chongyl2000@yahoo.com

(5) Deadline is 2400 hours, September 30, 2005.

ENJOY! ENJOY!! ENJOY!!!

WRITE & L'VE!

Yan

7:55 AM


desiderata
said...

Hi there EVERYBEESYBODY!

YAN has generously, after some nudging from/with TehSi, accepted to run CHALLENGE 5!

SEVEN bravos to mGf from Sarawak, where the CEOs still headhunt, and the GalsNextDoor still pun
Desi at SEVENam seneraded her with Wednesday's Woes
She said yes! So Here C5 goes!



8:17 AM

12 comments:

chong y l said...

Hi there EVERYBEESYBODY!

YAN has generously, after some nudging from/with TehSi, accepted to run CHALLENGE 5!

SEVEN bravos to mGf from Sarawak, where the CEOS still headhunt, and the GalsNextDoor still pun
Desi at SEVENam seneraded her with Wednesday's Woes
She said yes! So Here C5 goes!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sabrina Tan said...

wht's C5 btw??

chong y l said...

Hey Sab:

U R overworked in deed!

C5, C is for Challenge, 5 is for FamousFive!!!!!

This gal ventures out to the PerthianHaze once 2ofTEN, also the SerembanMaze once 3AM ...hehehe; SS, am I lauffing OZ or NZ style now?

Yan: You know wat -- just came back from late BF from Catherine's and I told her that I'm promoting her r-o-m-a-n-c-e over the Internet and she's upped the offer of two more Prizes of an autographed copy of A Challenge to Love.

So we'll aim for at least 3 GOoD quality reviews to eacg desrve a copy of the prized Booker, and see their NAMA in the Borneo Post come October!

Just check with Readers is the length --2,500 words--required OK?-- feedback here and we DO LISTEN you kNOw! desi may be 1/2 deaf but Yan is full of 'earing!:);)

Sabrina Tan said...

Desi

Pardon me if I have an overworked brain...long day long day...
So, what do we do with the review? IS it the one that you just had on your post??
I'm a little lost...:P
Wouldn't mind reviewing it if I have time...;)

chong y l said...

Sab:

I'm now your "patient" -- let me take thy hand, relax, role reversal here, patient counselling the doc-to-be!

Sit back from the hustle-bustle of Life over this wekend, get hold of a secondhand copy of TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, by MA, then do a GOoD Review of the book in 2,500words; I want feedback from my EsteemedReaders if that minimum is mite too high? If so, write back to me, or Yan, complain-lah! Malaysians can lodge public compalints at the Bureau under the PM's Dept, on BookReview thingy, complain to Desi's Place, or YanCorner,also-can -- we, er, make it Yan, promises action Pronto!

But Sab, please do your Uniwork and wardrounds first, eh? Don't get intox by TehTarik at Desi's -- susu lembu may be running out -- the Haze!

chong y l said...

Primrose:

Hope you art reading this. Pls contact me ASAP re receiving da BookOfRomance, remember?

Other EsteemedReaders, Now 3 more BookerPrizes are witing for Thee! Take the Challenge 5 NOW!

Anonymous said...

A review... Tuesdays With Morrie?

Sounds cool enough. :)

Cheers!

chong y l said...

kyels:

Hope you did well in thy exams; I'm sure you did!

Take weekend to lesisurely read MA's Tuesdays with Morrie, I think he's not particular which days you visitor drop by! Just like at Desis' Place, some SssssSpirits also roam EightDaysAWeek!

ENJOY! plus SEVEN more times!

Anonymous said...

I have my review already.. Lols..

Cheers!

chong y l said...

kyels:

You are JOKING-lah, Right? Left? Centre!

This is more difficult than making it to MU ie Mancheter United for non-socker fans!, Doing a Morie Review needs at least 48 hours working thy brain -- you just finished thy exam, and you finished thy Review?

Yan, I'd beetr pass her Entree to you -- Fisrt Course arriving!

I'm outstation the next 2-3 days, may post 1/2 enrees. Taste as Goodie!

SssssSpirit -- art thou running for r-o-m-a-n-ce-e 2?

Don't be Angry (Grrrrr...) with Desi for out-decibelling thee with WM while you did your AAF!;);) Pls at least say: GOod Mornin' with that AM towel!
(if u dont understand Desi in the last line, ask Letti, maybe she remembers those Xpensive face towels, branded1s...hehehe, laffing like thee. And it's 12.25am Msian time, and the neighbours are neighing at my DESIbels!

Anonymous said...

I think I am done with it but will do further editing. Mine is just a short one.. Lols..

Exam was ok Desi! Thanks.