My Anthem

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Saluting Thee, Mr Prime Minister!

DESIDERATA, with much help here acknowledged with a s-M-i-l-e one mile-long from the NST of FRIDAY JULY 22, 2005

Is proud to put on OFFICIAL RECORD

What OUR ESTEEMED PRIME MINISTER says at when opening the 56th UMNO GENERAL ASSEMBLY at the PWTC, Kuala Lumpur, on Thursday :

‘ENOUGH…

No one can deny that in the past, there were those among us who received too much assistance and too many chances.

There are those who have not received enough assistance and those who have not been given opportunities at all. This is not fair and far from just. This cannot continue.

I am determined and committed to cleanse UMNO of political corruption. I may be climbing up a steep slope, but I will not be deterred nor will I lose the faith.

As long as there is life in my body. I will seek strength from the Almighty to contiue my battle to eliminate corruption.UMNO members and leaders involved in corruption may be able to hide their deeds from human eyes but they cannot hide them from God.


It would be a tragedy if wealth is used to barter power and if power is used to sell out our people.’

Desiderata: That’s from Page 1, when Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi addressed his party members, akin to the American President's State of the Union Address made annually. If only the PM focused on a universal message that embraces ALL MALYSIANS -- not only UMNO members-- that's when Malaysia wpuld have been akin to have arrived as a First World Nation. I wait in anticipation for that day. Meanwhile, I salute Our Prime Minister for his words of true leadership. THINK NATIONAL, NOT RACIAL.

Pak Lah in his almost years at the nation's helm has come across as a GOD-FEARING LEADER, straight-talking, sincere, firm and consistent. In his latest address, he has identified many of the nation's problems and challenges -- more the people's ills and bad habits -- he has a tough agenda to meet and overcome.

I know the Prime minister has the nation's future at heart. But I'm NOT sure about his lieutenants and mah-cai (political followers), because many have been quietly helping themselves, hence you have a bunch of RENT-SEEKERS, BANDWAGONERS, still wanting the CRUTCHES after 30 long, long years of special treatment.

What makes it worse, and troubling, and disturbing to citizens like me, is the show of arrogance, and the flaunting of riches, much ill- gotten,in the public eye. The only saving grace is they are so stupid they show themselves in all their naked glory as the Modern Emperor with See-Through Clothes.

Malaysians of decency, and who are like Pak Lah, are God-fearing, must rise up, STAND TALL AND BE COUNTED! The "towering" character the PM wishes instill must also stress on the moral fibre, not just the physical attainments like climbing Mount Everest, or Making it into the Forbes Top 100, It's the leadership of a man who places the nation's interests above his own, his family, and his cronies. Pak Lah knows, but what about the people, especially the politicians and the corporates?


OTHER QUOTABLE EXCERPTS from the same address lasting more than an hour:

There will never be enough contracts, licences, permits or scholarships for all bumiputras. We must wake up to the fact that when we award a scholarship to an unqualified bumiputra, we are depriving a more deserving bumiputra recipient. This is clearly unjust.

"Spending must be controlled and stimulating economic activity to prompt growth cannot be done at the expense of placing the nation's finances in a perilous and unstable state."

Islam Hadhari is a long-term government effort to ensure Islam is practised in a more holistic and more diverse context that encompasses all aspects of life.


""*** The days of quick and esay profits are over. These practices contravene the spirit of the NEP and have to end now. ***""

3 comments:

imran said...

Hmm...I've read the PM's opening speech and I'm surprised to see you singing praises so soon.

All his speech did was to make the same old promises. And since this is the UMNO general assembly, it's fine if he only speaks of the Malays.

We all know what's wrong with the country. We all know some quarters are abusing their power to become rich. Leaders come and go, and yet the promises are still the same.

ENOUGH! We don't need someone else repeating the same promises like an old record player. We need someone of action. ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!

Will there be changes anytime soon? I doubt it. Will his promises be delivered? I doubt it. Cemerlang, Gemilang, Terbilang? I doubt it.

chong y l said...

Hi Bruddder Imran:

GoOD morning on a "Never onSun" outing, Good to see thee rising as the soothing rays of orange and tinges of yellos and reds and blue on the horizon!

I wax lyrical to put thee in a "bright" mood so thou art more easily convinced "there is HOPE out there yet". BECUASE you ask a highly RELEVANT Q: Why does Desi sing Pak Lah's praises, "surprised" was your reaction.

Like thee and many fellow Malaysians (Sabrina, mitochondra, SH Tan et al who expresed themselves regularly via this humble site...). I'm trying to spot tat "glimmer" of light at the endof the tunnel.What I saw in the last few days was a huge cacophany of unpleasant and outdated noises asking for more, yetmore, andMORE (like Oliver?, bad cf, he's an orphan and really HUNGRY!) when it's a GLOBALISED world out of PWTC, which should be clearly evident to the UMNO delegates for within sight are all the foreign embassies and high commisssions, and the ultra modern Petronas Twin Towers just within 5km radius.

Like a man clutching for the last straw as the same cacophany was thumping Malaysia loud and clear the preceding half a year, I saw that faint glimmer of LIGHT, and HOPE, in Pak Lah's openiing address.

Giving credit where it is due, I had to sing my support, and say "Hear, Hear!" to perhaps a modern BRUTUS who has remained constant and principled against a crashing tsunami of demands, unreasonableness from rentseekers, rober barons and soulless mercenaries (otherwise, how do you account for the 19% Bmui equity having stood still for the past 20 years? As confirmed by a conscience-clean Shabery Cheek who lamented that it was in 1985 -- yess, 2 decades ago, the Bumi stake in the nation's corporate equity stood at 19%, the same figure bandied about by Hishamuddin Hussein. I easilt believe Shaberry, I believe Hisham is creating FICTION.

I saluted Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahamd Badawi becuase he shows national leadership, Discard the "needing the crutches".subsidy-dependednt mentality that has divided the nation, slowed nation building, drove many other Malaysians to foreign shores out of frustration and dsiappointment.

Sdr Imran, I'm glad your harshment is harsher on Pak Lah than mine -- it just shows I sometimes do pause, ponde, and HOPE. Hope is the thing with feathers, says Dickinson, another fav poet, and that means we can continue our flight, with some OPTIMISM, looking for the full sunshine on that horizon, a gglimpse rendered by almost a LONE VOICE, Pak Lah's, in the PWTC wildreness. Okay, maybe rope in Shaberry, then Sharir Samad, maybe coopt Imran YLChong?

This is not just a conversation -- almost another Post; thaks to all readers for thy forebearance. ENJOY the little warmth that trickles out of the Great Hall that our "soft-spot" Prime Minister exudes with me, Semuanya OK? (It's NPT a rhetorical q--I'd like to hear from more of you!)

chong y l said...

PS:

Am writing this at 12.30pm Sunday.
Maybe I could've been Wise to follow my sometimes Credo of "Never on Sunday". See the number of typos sprinkled like moondust everywhere?

Sorry to readers, esp to Sdr Imran:
In my quick on-the-run response earlier at about 9am, several TYPOS were made, to Desi's discomfort after returning from a sumptious Continental BF with some mGf.

I know my esteemed audience comprises mostly "discerning readers", so I no need point out those 'howlers", eh? (Luckily, this Post is NOT desiderata.english, Man! otherWise, the TeAcher won't look that A-wise after all!

As I was saying, I just got back after paying for two pieces of French Toast, a piece of Ham, one Fried Egg, costing RM3.30 in Seremban. (the White Coffee, prepared by a Brownie, cost another RM1.50...)

Yan -- how much is it in Kuching or Sibu, and don't spoil my next BF recounting the story of the Chicken and her Porgie fRiend, alright. I want to eat with a gOod conscience!

Sabrina: how much does this cost thee in NZ? Our Ringgit has just appreciated, I may yet be able to afford to take an AirAsia flight to join thee for ConBfast!

I also wonder how much such a BF costs at the PWTC, ah, ne'er mind, I digress on a hazy Sunday. TG the cacophany of noises has ended from within the Great Hall. "Will the din outside be worse?" -- I see Brudder Imran nodding his head -- sleepy, or in agreement?