My Anthem

Friday, July 08, 2005

I think, therefore I am

I Think, Therefore I Am. – Philosophical words, from SOCRATES, but questioned by certain quarters that such a person named Socrates even existed! But that’s not my topic of discussion today. This philosophical postulation is often quoted and attributed to Socrates, and Desiderata would similarly cite the same authority unless someone of authority proved me wrong.

Taking poetic licence to its extreme, I postulate: Socrates thought, therefore he was. He existed.

I had not quite understood “Cogito, ergo sum” (that’s Latin for I Think, Therefore I Am.), so well until last night.I have pondered over this saying since my youth. I sometimes wondered whether that ALL humans think. But I do not wonder if humans exist.

Here, I can only speak for myself. I do think. Therefore I am; therefore I indeed exist.

The moment I stop thinking, I breathe my last, I no more exist. And I would like to postpone that moment as long as possible.


So to one regular Reader who often partakes of conversations at Desiderata, SWEETSPIRIT – I thank her for that moment of sweet realisation, and I add:

It is sad but true
You can’t do nothin’
You can’t think nothin’
You can’t not care.



To put into context, SweetSpirit from Down Under, has commented on my Post yesterday titled do nothin’, think nothin’,
with a succinct one-liner,via Comments:


If only it was that easy

Indeed, it was not that easy. I could only try it for a day -- do nothin', think nothin', that is.

After all, we need to put on our thinkingcap everyday to cope with Life's ups and downs. We can't escape the rat race; we can't avoid competition; we can't live on air and sunshine alone -- we need to fight for the almighty ringgit to buy us the three square meals a day. So we have to think, we have to do.

But do we have to care?


THAT IS THE BIG and COMMON DILEMMA challenging many adults today -- especially parents -- and children, and more so, teenagers and youths. In fields of studies, relationships, making friends, breaking up, and the perennial tests of growing up, and loving for forever and ever, and the heartbreaking betrayals. Et tu, Brute! remember?

So Desiderata has no choice but resume his thinkin', doin', but the CARIN', it is a question mark. You know why? Except for the 10 fingers on my two friends with which I number myGOODfriends, I generally am NOT INCLINED TO CARE ANYMORE! Sad maybe, but increasingly true.

If that disappoints, I owe no one any apologies, for I'm a God-Fearing Man, and I believe He Understands. He DOES, He THINKS, He CARES.



PS: I would specially like SweetSpirit to further add to today's post; to GINGER too, who sparked off this POETicRUMination with her Poem on July 6 from up north where the char-kuey-teow is the best. I promise Conversationists -- hey Imran,and YoungSabrina, art thou game? to spend a while, "Penny for your thoughts?" -- to treat thee to a piping hot glass of Haridas' teh tarik with a pinch of ginger! Even two, as I just received my pay from thinkin' and doing' for mGf's newspaper somewhere where the people, especially the YoungOnes -- still have a yen for exquisite English and Life!

8 comments:

sweetspirits said...

It is written in your words
You care much more than you say.

Take care my friend
wish sweet dreams

Luke said...

"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes

chong y l said...

sweetspirit:

Thanks for "assuring" assessment; must take another look at myself in that mirror, on the wall?

And to LUKE:

Thanks a million (USD!) for that alert "correction"; I owe ye a "teh tarik" if thou should head down Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, MALAYSIA, way. Yes, we do philosophise by the roadside tea-stall, amid all the noise and the haste, smog, and mites, and occasional petrol drop!

Luke said...

Desiderata:

Re-reading my previous comment in its briefness, I think it sounds a bit cavalier and snide. My correction came not from a thorough knowledge of philosophy, but rather from a memory from a college freshman literature class about 6 years ago.

To gain a better appreciation of who I am and what I am (for those who care) follow the link to my blog

imran said...

Do we have to care?

Good question. I believe the answer to that is yes. In a world that's becoming ever more blinded by money, somebody should care.

Aren't we all brought up with the understanding that giving is better than receiving? So it's better to care than not to be cared for. Maybe we won't be rewarded today, but we will definitely be rewarded. Have faith.

It's funny how I can say this, when I myself tend to question this.

PS: Where is Haridas that serves the teh tarik you hold in such high regard?

Sabrina Tan said...

would like to say that it's a luxury to DO Nothing, THink Nothing. Maybe I don't share the luxury, or maybe I shouldn't have the luxury.

While Young And Free
Do Not Do Nothing
Think Nothing

Time flies
It idles away
And what is left?
Your body wasted
Your mind empty
And you learned nothing
In this seemingly complex world

Webs of knowledge
Awaiting
Unfold in front of our eyes
Allow us to go forth
And search the hidden treasure

PS: Yes would love to join you for Haridas teh tarik, but will need a guide for that :D

chong y l said...

Luke,

no apologies needed, I assure you writers with a philospical or poetic bent don't see your contribution as being "cavalier" at all! Yes, I have visited thy blog, will continue to monitor thee for lapses (pulling thy legs, which I'd do with no hesitation as your pic shows, like me, and brudder Imran, you're not fe-mail!)

I salute the voices of Imran and Sabrina -- I can't add further to their puddings and icing on the tops. I still await Ginger's cake, or is it Penang kueh?

To all my Friends, I will one day "gather" thee around Haridas stall and monopolise the whole venue for a talking-session-till- the-cows-come-home with more "susu lembu" -- for Luke's info only, that's Cow's Milk!

chong y l said...

Oops, in my haste, I forgot at least one more INvite -- Yan (are you listenin'? I know you always do,think&care!;))

Pls give me thy yen of wisdom, for more than teh tarik, Steak anyone? Poor cow, I must switch to NZ or US lamb maybe -- will Sab or Luke oblige?