My Anthem

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Getting By

desiderata.english

I am always delighted every time I come across a piece of fine writing -- whether in prose or poetic form. I happened to take a longer look at one teenage weblog named IgnorantCow.blogspot.com recently, and was I pleasantly surprised by a piece of articulate writing by an IC member, TIMOTHY SU. Go visit the youthfulramblings-cyberhome of a "million contradictions" and see for thyself.March 31, 2005 featured The one about Popularity and Stereotypes. You can do it on a SUNDAY!

Today I am doubly delighted on a lazy Sunday, sometimes urged by the dictum "NEVER ON SUNDAY",and it's a bonus I could resort to obligingly follow the spirit of that dictum!

SABRINA TAN makes that possible with her poemGetting By , but sometimes I feel youngSab is trying too hard to find "answers" to too many Life's questions> My observation is that ofttimes, there aren't clear-cut answers -- even the answers can vary because of changed or changing circumstances. As I said in a recent musing, one constant in Life is CHANGE. Hence, I advise the YoungOnes to adapt to the changing environment. Sometimes, it's still relevant to take heed of Charles Darwin's .......(fill in the blanks, will you). If thou have doubt, please consult your parents; yes, work the adult brains a little, even on a Sunday! OR consult thy Science teacher tomorrow -- show him/her you have been doing some reading over the weekend -- getting an education at home!

Now, after a somewhat windy/winding intro, ENJOY Sabrina Tan's:

GETTING BY


Awoke in the morning

With a blistering headache

The sun’s welcoming rays

Greeted me with a smile




Get up and greet Life, Sun says

And go about to embrace the days

You have a mileage ahead of you

To be the best and be of true



What’s Life? I questioned

Where there were so many hiccups

I looked at my left and my right

The both do not seem to match up




My right seems great and happy

To be the person where I am most comfy

Yet my left has a shade of grey

That my feeble mind can’t seem to portray



Just get by the Sun reiterates

And pray that God will complete

The unsolved mysteries

That you nor any human can convey




O God, grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change

The courage to change the things I can

And the wisdom to know the difference



I prayed and prayed

Hoping that my prayers would go beyond the ceilings

Let go and get by

To the things that you cannot solve

And also to the things that affect your life



Let go and get by…

From: YoungSabrina (but desiderata's imaginage, is there such a word, pardon?) lazing on a easy chair by the seaside in NZ North or South Island, or east or west islands, but I may be wrong as desi's geography is not too good. But I'm sure she's holding a glass of Iced Lemon Tea somewhere serene and windy, blowing her hair into a spray maybe, and the seagulls overhead singing their morning melody, or more. Yes, they do it even on a Sunday, I guess. Am I "spot on" in this imagimage? I'm sure, for I "stole" it from her weblog, not as serious an offence as committing "plagiarism"!

PS: In deed, Sabrina also has her own weblog. To all the YoungReaders&Teenagers still in school or college, drop by at htpp://sabrinawstan.blogspot.com. As Sab is a dentistry student in New Zealand, some lucky ones may turn to her as a "mentor" if you treat her NiCe, and she can guide you on the journey to university? Cool!

Now let's sit back, tune to Light&Easy, maybe the DJ will oblige with this Sixties number, popularised by Connie Francis?

Never on Sunday


Oh, you can kiss me on a Monday, a Monday,
A Monday is very very good
Or you can kiss me on a Tuesday, a Tuesday,
A Tuesday, in fact I wish you would
Or you can kiss me on a Wednesday, a Thursday,
A Friday and Saturday is best
But never ever on a Sunday, a Sunday,
A Sunday, cause that's my day of rest

Most anyday you can be my guest
Anyday you say but my day of rest
Just name the day that you like the best
Only stay away on my day of rest

Oh, you can kiss me on a cool day, a hot day,
A wet day, which ever one you choose
Or try to kiss me on a grey day, a May day,
A pay day, and see if I refuse
And if you make it on a bleak day, a freak day,
Or a week day, well you can be my guest
But never ever on a Sunday, a Sunday,
The one day, I need a little rest

Oh, you can kiss me on a Monday, a Monday,
A Monday is very very good
Or you can kiss me on a Tuesday, a Tuesday,
A Tuesday, in fact I wish you would
Or you can kiss me on a Wednesday, a Thursday,
A Friday and Saturday is best
But never ever on a Sunday, a Sunday,
A Sunday, cause that's my day of rest

Come anyday you can be my guest
Anyday you say but my day of rest
Just name the day that you like the best
Only stay away on my day of rest

Oh, you can kiss me on a cool day, a hot day,
A wet day, which ever one you choose
Or try to kiss me on a grey day, a May day,
A pay day, and see if I refuse
And if you make it on a bleak day, a freak day,
Or a week day, well you can be my guest
But never ever on a Sunday, a Sunday,
The one day, I need a little rest!

3 comments:

imran said...

Dear Desi,

I see that you've also becomed like me and used a song as a topic for your blog.

Funny how many occurences in life can be related to a particular song and be used to express our innermost thoughts.

Yes, I grew up listening to Connie Francis, and I'm not that old. But never to shy away from a good song.

Sabrina Tan said...

hi desiderata

not sure if you are a classical music fan, but Claude Debussy's 'Image' is what I had in mind. However didn't go to the extent of executing it..
The confines of my comfy room is all I had :)
Shall I salute thee with Hot Lemon and Honey? (costs NZ$3.00 in Queenstown for such a simple drink!)

chong y l said...

Hi Imran:

Yes, songs are poems set to music, especially those ever-greens and semi-classics (Beautiful Dreamer; Unchained Melody, remember?) which stand the test of time.

For youngGals&Boys, Connie Francis has some fun songs in "Where the Boys Are" ...but Imran,who needs your confession you're "not that" old? Age doesn't feature in the song and dance of Life; Mark TWAIN begs us to remember "It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, It doesn't matter."

Sabrina:

Debussy, yes, among my clasics when I need quiet and serenity to pen my thoughts; for more riotous and raunchy runaway with my imaginary rides, I prefer my C&W like Faith Hill (plus her significant half, whom I envy!)and HankWilliams.

On your lemon plus honey, I'll take the lemon (plus Lipton tea bag) -- let's leave the honey aside, I've my reason which I can't go public! Hey, it's just SundayRambling only -- you see, some IgnorantCows and the bulls may pop by today and check us adults out, and we must be on our Sunday b'st! (PS: I say welcome to the YoungOnes who may check us out after BPost which runs a feature called BLOGGING and BEING TRUE TO ONESELF, yeh, Always on Sunday!)