My Anthem

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Pennies from Heaven (2)

I was once bittten, twice shy when it came to having my Desktop PC fixed.

In the two years since relocating back to cozy Seremban from Hustling-bustling Kuala Lumpur, I had had two "costly" X-counters with two reerred fixers. The first encounter was when some idiotic Virus caused the FrontPage to "hang"; it cost me RM140 to have the access to Microsoft Xpress re-formatted.

The second encounter was a lightning strike kaput-ting the modem; this X-trip cost me RM210 to fix, after spending some RM10 on bugging the fixer via my Hphone, and I believed the PC came back "defiled". OR a stronger word, RAPED! If a PC can be attacked by viruses, surely it can also be raped, right? No, then I apologise to the fixer, whatever.

Because when the LapTop went for a walkabout yesterday noon and refused to find its way back home, I took out the the Desktop CPU as another idiotic Virus had visited it and misbehaved to its host, laying him sick and unable to perform again. That happened some two months ago, BUT then I had the LapTop to fall back on then.

In my woe yesterday afternoon, I contacted new-found fRiends DavidChan and his significant other, Catherine De Costa -- Yes, another writer -- for some advice where to send my kaput-ed PC for repair.

They "rode" me, lugging my heavy CPU like I was a bagman, to the Parkson Complex fronting the Seremban Lake Gardens (hey Kyels, ours rivals the TaipingOne, if not Besting all others!), and cutting a long story short, a Happy ending to almost end-week for Happy Blogging.

Today, after just 18 hours, the PC SHOP named PINEAPPLE located on the first floor fixed my misbehaving PC. The pleasant Mr Tai remarked that my PC was a little slow --due to the PC RAM having been "decreased" -- (my guess the previous fixer took me on a ride -- that's why I yelled "RAPE!").

Well, at least this "Third Time" around for another formatting, the ride cost me just RM60. So it's only au natureil we adjourned for an A&W RootBeer to celebrate my PC restoration, all done within 24 hours. "THANKS" to DavidplusCathy, hence this follow-up Post to record an event proving that FRiends Are Indeed Like "Pennies from Heaven" ... in addition to GINGER's VOICE previously.


PS: I popped a quick visit to Kyels before blogging Part 2, so reinforcing her post, Desiderata avows: In times of Need, the Action Ones are Friends In Deed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez...

Am sorry to hear about your PC and laptop. I hope they are okay now. And functioning fully to their master's requests. Haha.

Well, Taiping and Seremban Lake Gardens are rivals eh. That's cool. Haha. Maybe we should make up a conspiracy to "kill" all Lake Gardens in Malaysia.

I am so evil. Haha. Thanks for popping into my blog.

chong y l said...

Hi kyels:

No worries about the PC going AWOL -- materialthings can march off into the sunset, it's to be expected. It is in the intangibles -- like love&friendship, sinCERITY, and Truth we constantly are in quest of, aren't we?

Leaving our twinning project for Our Hometowns, Kyels, how about a more NationalProject?

Ginger ruminates on some aspects of this dilemma Madonna-style facing all Malaysians, we really do have a "Malaysian Dilemma". Maybe I can do another Essay Series on this topic -- will you mull over this subject, maybe joining Sabrina Tan, to highlight the nation's woes (including upsurge in crime which really is depicted in microscopic eyes on the PC going for a Walk. ...such that We Don't Feel Secure Anymore), targeting around AUGUST 31, 2005?

Regards,
YLChong

PS: Those readers sharing concerns on the Malaysian Dilemma perhaps can Email me at:
chongyl2000@yahoo.com, by August 27, 2005.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Desiderata,

A National Project? Wow, it sounds cool. I'll give it a thought or maybe I'll just give it a go.

May the force be with me.

Cheers!!!

imran said...

A Parody of the song 'Yesterday' by The Beatles, dedicated to Desi.

Yesterday,
All those backups seemed a waste of pay.
Now my laptop has gone away.
Oh I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
There's not half the files there used to be,
And there's a milestone
hanging over me
The system crashed so suddenly.

I pushed something wrong
What it was I could not say.

Now all my data's gone
and I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay.

Yesterday,
The need for back-ups seemed so far away.
I knew my data was all here to stay,
Now I believe in yesterday.

Hope you enjoyed it and brought the smile back on your face, my esteemed conversationalist and blog-ist (is there such a term?)

chong y l said...

HI brudder Im:
That was too nostalgic -- but love does not comapre with the LapTop who has no lyalty; so it's Ok...I'll survive except for some lost memory and bites! or bytes?

Blogist is fine by Desi -- Blogospehre is so young we can all experiment, even Moses has been "bought" by our joint efforts to play the WordGame! 'Tis Ok -- Semuanya Ok!

chong y l said...

Hi kyels:

I like thy enthusiasm.

I'll post a message on this "national project" tomorrwo to flag off. Meanwhile, please refer you back to TWO series of essays:

(1) SEVEN7 in 5 parts from July 12-16 -- on the international terrorism scourge, staring with 911.

(2) Losing Our Country ...? in 4 parts from June 29 - July 2;
this second series is analogous to what I have in mind for
"THE MALYSIAN DILEMMA" series. In both attempts, Sabrina was my kind and reliable MENTEE who contributed from an UNDERGRAD perspective.

I would definitely wewelcome your input, kyels, and your contribution will defintely enhance Desi's Place.

As I believe One Good Turn Deserves Another, I've in my last few posts encouraged some IgnorantCows to look to Sabrina as a potential mentor, so that we who have gone on before can benefit the YoungerOnes who follow. Even winning ONE disciple will be reawrd enough through this Blogging adventure.

Sdr Imran, do you also respond to this Quest?
Hi, the INVITE also to wordplay participant Moses if Moses is also evesdropping on us; and all the rest like recent guests Mito-C, Dezmond, Y!...A to Z mnus Y... rollcall names to be added later, eh?