My Anthem

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Evening has broken

Evening is upon us, and my thoughts turn to serenity and
beauty. I want to get away from Politics for a long while.
I want to read some poems, I want to sing a little ditty.
I do not want to waste my time in sighs and sad goodbye.
Then I remember this soothing poem I did long ago.
It's not for pity, not for sympathy, not for Ego.

Fisherman's Song

City folks are already gathered at dinner
A good restaurant spread on the table
Well cooked by a maid from a neighbour source
Or transported from a fast food chain in town

But as the evening casts its shadows
Over darkening hills and silvery sea
A lonely fisherman is still casting net
To catch what Nature provides for today

While streaks of orange, green and gold
Peep through the faraway hill
He says a quiet prayer:Let this catch be full
That my children would their stomachs fill

A patient woman with hot brewed tea in basket
Waits loyally by his side, expectant,
That the net would turn up crabs and fish
To light up the young faces at home

This is a village fisherman's song
That the sea be merciful, bringing joy
That minus what's eaten for dinner
A few dollars come from his daily toil



By YL Chong

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Desiderata:

Joining you in early morning pensive mood....


July rain washed away the haze
Sunny rays break the early dawn
Woolly clouds drift aimlessly above
A happy butterfly flutters amongst the lillies

Shrieks of laughter in the pen
Not a care in their innocent world
Mothers stand watching idly
Mind drifting, chores waiting.

The aroma of coffee whiffs the air
Two slices, butter and jam
Do nothing, think nothing
Don't care.

chong y l said...

Hi ginger:

(as in a duet...)

Feel like that too
as expressed at your end
Do nothin', think nothin'
Don't care.

life's an illussion
playing tricks with your mind
so it's safer
do nothin', think nothin'
don't care.

imran said...

Hmm... I am getting terribly jealous reading all the verses. Is there a book or something to teach me how to rhyme and put words into verses? I would like to have this ability as well.

I believe my blog would be so much better if I have this ability. Go have a look at mine (sorry for the self-promoting).

I truly envy you guys and gals!

chong y l said...

hi imran:

I just composed a "duet" to ginger's ditty (that's what I'd do to it by humming in musicallly...), satrted at midnite, over in 10 minutes, and that takes care of tomorrow (7 July) posting. I need a real break from Politics and Money Power.

Hey, with some practice, and pehaps exchanging notes here, you won't do too badly in Verse eIther (in Msia, this rhymes with Rider) or e'e'ther (in some Brit, rhymes with ether!)

I "popped" over to enjoy your Power of Money -- alright man,you're close, brudder, di I get the gender right this time? (save I did NOT get any teh tarik!)

PS: imran -- Do email me at chongyl2000@yahoo.com if you're serious on some poetic exchanges -- no, I'm not fe-mail either!)