My Anthem

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Writing comes naturally to some gifted ones

desiderata.english


Today's column starts with a CHALLENGE, if I don't at least 10 responses for me to get a meaningful sample, I may consider stopping this Sunday's rumination of English altogether. And this is NOT a threat, it's just a form of persuasion.:)


One of mGf sent me an enquiry to solve some question on this once "colonial" English-now-adopted-as-Our LANGUAGE:)

Is there a Christmas .....?

In a question at a school test, this was posed:

Students have to choose the best word to complete the
paragraph. Four words are given plus a picture.

Henry and I wanted to go to the *Church* (picture of a church).
Instead, we went to the *market* (picture of a market)
to buy *fruits*(picture of fruits).
They are for tonight's Christmas ..... (picture showing a round tabe with four chairs and a Christmas tree behind the table).

There are four choices for the last one:
> > > >(A) party, (B) class, (C) dinner, (D) meeting.

Via the COMMENTS channel, my EsteemedReaders, please spare a minute or two, select an answer from (A) to (D), and justify with an explanation, by midnite Monday August 22, 2005.

I'm thinking of offering a PRIZE as an INCENTIVE. Let me think and get back to the Winner first thing Monday morn if I get a good Breakfast from brudder IM!


Meanwhile, ENJOY this week's desiderata.english, and it's FREE! If my counting meter is installed and my hits reach JeffOoi's level, I may charge a fee per view... see I am putting on my thinking cap to get that RM20million for OUR I-LAND!


Writing comes easy to those with a flair for language and have mastered the craft through constant practice and dedication. But Desiderata, while appreciative of God’s gift to him with a talent for words and wordplay, and perhaps, an imaginative mind – he must confess that these past few days, he felt thoroughly “paralysed”, and prayed hard and intermittently for his “flashes of inspiration”, after the upsetting incident. I tried to humourously describe the episode to my goods friends as “my LapDog having gone for a walk, and I’m still awaiting its return …”


Just prior to writing the major part of today’s column, I just came back from a tea with a good friend, recently acquired, who also happens to be a writer – a published one! Her name is CATHERINE DE COSTA. I thought a tea break planned for an hour would do the trick of overcoming writer’s block – the tea extended to more than two hours; luckily Cathy and her “significant half” (that’s the term I use to refer to her husband!) were not in any hurry, …and our informal sharing definitely was time and fellowship well spent.

The lesson to share is that making highly conscious efforts to push oneself to write is seldom fruitful, for the ideas or words just won’t come. If the words come, they come in spurts, like water from a choked pipe, not swimmingly, which means flowing smoothly and without effort, and the writer enjoying while doing it! So it’s better to take a break; just like school pupils, you can’t last a whole day of lessons without breaking off for the food and drinks at the canteen, can you?

While God gave us each A Beautiful Mind, it is a always a mysterious gift. It works in ways that no scientist has properly mapped its pathways, permutations of thought patterns, or even why an Inspiration can result in an exquisite poem or a short essay, or even a chapter of a romance novel.

Catherine today shares with us some tips on overcoming Writer’s Block. She would take a break to listen to her favourite songs, or even watch a movie. Cathy has a large collection of VCDs of films, current and old, she had missed seeing on the big screen – she mentions the latest like Constantine; and oldies like The Year of Living Dangerously and High Noon (in B&W!), and recent local hits including Sepet.


Catherine thrives on romance with her novels

For longer interludes, she would visit some of her buddies she connects with, not necessarily in the writing line, or take her son for shopping, or indulge in a continental meal at The Ship or any Cowboy’s station, where the food is yummy and they play country and western songs.

Asked why she’s writing romance novels – the first titled “A Challenge to Love” was published last year, and she’s halfway through a second one now – Catherine was frank and down to earth.

Whatever people may say, romance sells,” Cathy says with a smile, and also a hint that she needs to earn her bucks.

In fact, romance novels total some 40 percent of all novels published. Almost all of the blockbuster movies have an element of romance in them, she notes.

“I was often asked why I chose to write romance instead of something more literary. I said that romance was one of the easiest genres to write – you don’t need to think up an elaborate plot, as for a crime/murder. You don’t need to know about espionage and its associated weaponry.”

All the author needs is a dashing hero, a beautiful heroine, a few dark moments and a happy ending. “Easy! Am I kidding thee?” Catherine asked me using olde English, knowing that Desiderata sprinkles a lot of thee and thy and thine’s in his poems.

“Was I mistaken! It wasn’t that easy,” she puts the record straight.

“For starters, my characters are strong-willed and have a mind of their own. Sometimes they don’t go the way I want them to,” she smiles again.

Before Cathy writes, she has a story outline, breaking it down into chapter outlines. The difficult part is not in plotting the outline, but how to get a certain character from Point A to Point B. It includes fleshing out the characters, bringing out their strength and weaknesses through action and conversation. It’s about SHOWING instead of TELLING.

“Sometimes it takes about a dozen rewrites before I’m satisfied with how the scene progresses,” Cathy recalls.

“My characters and I have an emotional bond. Sometimes the emotional connection is so strong that I’m drained after writing a difficult scene. All of my emotions are dredged up to give the scene emotional depth. The result – I may not be able to write for weeks.” One such ‘stint’ lasted up to five months during which Cathy couldn’t write a line. (She did not say it, but the prospects of moving house is one of these “burdensome” factors causing the mental block, my guess.)

However difficult the path is, Cathy avows she’s happy to be a writer. “The satisfaction is priceless when I see my book on the shelves and my readers come up to me and give me feedback. I‘m especially joyful when my readers share their feelings and tell me how my book affected them. “

“It is worth the long hours working alone in my room, even the hair-pulling frustration on not getting a scene right, even though I’ve tried half a dozen times,” Cathy relates. One thing she regrets much is that she had jotted down on bits of paper “flashes of inspired observations and ideas in her younger days. But unfortunately, on moving house a few times, these golden nuggets of writing were lost forever. And once lost, such inspired moments captured on paper are never recoverable, as both Cathy and Desiderata both acknowledge.


So Desiderata is trying to motivate Catherine to take up this hobby of keeping an online journal – that’s what we call a Weblog which I wrote about a few weeks back. It helps to focus my observations and thoughts at a particular period; it would enlighten me if I need to use such information either for my fiction or essays later, especially as background. We live in an age of information and ideas overload on the advent of this marvel called the Internet. If we do not process the information and news developments, and sort out the gems we want to use, the “fleeting moments” of significance or brilliance would be lost forever. “We can capture some golden moments and nuggets, that’s the great motivation for this relatively new hobby, besides my chronicle of major events enveloping my nation.” I believe Cathy will soon get on board this enjoyable journey to enrich fellow travellers with her writing experience.


PS:
DESIDERATA set up an UPDATE at 10.00am Sunday August 21, 2005.
Read the EPILOGUE that follows, and then go back to the sunday.desiderata of July 31, 2005 titled "EDITING FOR A BEAUTIFUL PRODUCT".The best answer to CHALLANGE 2 will receive an AUTOGRAPHED COPY of the book by CATHERINE called "CHALLENGE TO LOVE". Now get to work on the CHALLENGE to think about exquisite English!


EPILOGUE

Despite my rigourous editing, one "error", not a true HOWLER, but still an error, escaped my second or third reading before I sent it to the newspaper two days before the deadline. My challenge to the IgnorantCows reading this: Spot the "error", and postulate how Desiderata could have come about making the "mistake" (i.e., for that is, the RATIONALE), and post it up at the COMMENTS channel. But you must prove that you are a contributor/OR a particpant with at lease ONE contribution/OR COMMENT at http://ignorantcow.blogspot.com, CITING DATE OF POSTING, stating your name or nick.

The "best" argued answer received by end of coming MONDAY ie. at 2400 hours August 1, 2005 would be gifted with a signed copy of the romance novel by Catherine De Costa. Incentive enough?

CHALLENGE number 2:

For those who have responded by 10am, please send in an additonal COMMENT as an answer to CHALLENGE 2, which is what has been spelt out in the EPILOGUE above. Save that the new deadline (not dateline) is now 2400hrs Monday, August 22, 2005, to enable more participation-lah! For Silly IgnorantCows, of course, it could not be August 1 midnite, that was set in then first round.(On second thought -- you're allowed, you know -- that's called on reflection...that compulsory comment at IgnorantCows is removed for Challenge 2 ... but please Visit them and learn a thingor2 ...ooops, teach them a thingor3.)

For newcomers, that is,you're NOT among THE FAMOUS5 referenced, please answer BOTH the challenges. And if thou do not understand what BOTH means, please get the .... out of here! (And it's a very mild searing word here, OK!) For once, Desi is dately seriously!
Hehaho.I'm learning from all mGf to laugh out loud OnLine! I won't let thee (last dig at Moses, "agitate" him as IM says, cos he (can be either Moses or IM) has gone MIA for some time!

ENJOY, ENJOY,ENJOY!!! Hari-hari-hari-Asmara!!!And dear IgnorantCowws, in your writing please DO NOT put three exclamation marks. You get marks deducted for doing that. As for Desi, there is this thingy called PL! (If you still don't know what PL is by now, get the ................!(And that's a rpomise, not swearing again, and I'm doubly deathly serious. CHOW! as in buy for now, or oh, yummy food, glorious chow awaiting. Real CON1, I see Sab is jeles.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd pick 'dinner'. Because it looks the best and I'm still thinking of the crab i had for mine.

Dezmond said...

I choose dinner because "Henry and I" went to the market to buy fruits, obviously it's for a dinner occasion, maybe for desert.

Party Seems too "alcohol-music" related.

Class!? It's Christmas for God's sake!

and Meeting? What the heck is called a "Christmas Meeting"? Christmas Meeting? Christmas MEETING?! I'd choose "Christmas Gathering" over Christmas Meeting.

so Dinner is my answer (C). ;)

Sabrina Tan said...

Hi Desi
im just going to join in the fun nonetheless.after all it's a Sun morning and want to start the day right.

I pick DINNER. why?

Dinners are always a place for rekindling relationships. You are at your best whenever at a dinner gathering or meeting.
One can enjoy the best of human relationships during dinners and you bring the best out of everyone in those conversations. You are civilised, yet respectful; you are relaxed, yet not too comfortable.
And since it's Xmas time, what better way to catch up with each other than dinner itself?


PS: Yes, there has to be a flair for writing. But with practice, one can also fine tune that arena pretty easily.

chong y l said...

DESI's commento at 10.02 am Sunday, August 21:

Hi, five hardworking pupils already. WoW, you are indeed ALMOST PERSUADE. Remember that wonderfull bar-room song suggestin' There's such a glowing thing as "L'VE at first sight". Ah, a warm diression. I'm still stuck here working just as hard as you, can I call thee the FAMOUS5 (yeh, the EnidBlighter creatures...)? And that's another rhetor.. ..bla, bla, bal. See, this teacher also uses Manglishwat! Hey, remember, this is NOT the column page, Ig......, just flippant SundayMorn BF citcat!

SeeYa -- my CON is getting cold; and Sab has finally found her way back. Six teh tariks plus ginger (ah, more on the high octane value of Ha-Lia, stay tuned till Tuesday!)please!

J said...

I choose "party".
Just my first impression.

imran said...

Hi Desi,

I choose dinner.

Do I hear you asking me why? Because dinner is the only decent meal I eat nowadays.So yeah, dinner is the time for me to be merry with friends.

Sekali lagi, jawapan muktamad saya ialah, "DINNER!"

sweetspirits said...

Just an Aussie thought here Desi
i do agree with dinner, but coming from oz christmas dinner is not the way we go. Usually it is Christmas Lunch so the Aussie in me would say Christmas Party
as although there is only one table and four chairs inside,that still makes me agree with christmas dinner.But of course i will be aussie and go for Christmas party, who knows the could be six tables outside and twenty four chairs surrounded by coco palms beside the inground pool . Hehe okz you got my mind thinking on a Sunday so thats good, tcz n enjoy your sunday :)

chong y l said...

Desi at 5.00pm:
james, dezmond,poptat,
sabrina, yan, imran, sweetspirit:

Thanks for challenge 1 answer, I need three more at least before I change my mind of retiring ...deadline is midnite Tomorrow.

Meanwhile, will the above-named SS ( no, it is not sweeetspirit again, now it;s SecretSeven of that Blighetrer fame ...or istit Magnificent7, my fave number? -->>> PLEASE PROCEED TO THE CHALLENGE 2, remember? <<<


I'm thoroughly CONfused by Imran, Muktamad?, I heard Murtabak ... taling about dinner; SS, don't you believe Malaysians , except Desi, are poor -- Nah, they makan-makan tiap-tiap hari kari mari; satu makan, dua mau lagi!

I'd provide the answers on Tuesday morn ... and the Booker Prize winner is ...(trumpet roll...): ???????

chong y l said...

Oops, I'm "solly" -- take out Yan, she's way below the Age of Consent -- which I won't tell thee, replace with Jessy -- so still SEVEN!

Anonymous said...

Dear Desi,

I choose dinner too because it's the time when two people can gather together and talk both their hearts out to each other. A place to rekindle the relationship between two people.

And yes indeed, we need to have flair in writing but just like what Sab said, practice makes perfect!

Cheers!

sweetspirits said...

Hi Desi
I'd like to share this blog with you
http://ilhamep.blogspot.com/
plz try find the time to take a peek i am sure it will put a smile on your face .It will be worth your while to know what others do also.
cheerio

Howsy said...

I'm not sure whether this question is posed for which level of intellectuality, but if by step-by-step scientific analysis, let's see:
1. They intended to go to church, but skipped it-so they are not truely religious Christians; so not expecting a solemn slient Christmas dinner-->definitely A. party. i.e. booze party then.

2. But if for a party, why would they buy 'fruits' then? Then it could be C. dinner but still could be A. party (they might have a 'fruit throwing party' at night then!

3. There's a table and four chairs-which might be just ideal for a nice quiet C. dinner but still doesn't exclude having a A. party as other guests can sit on sofas, floor, etc.

Conclusion: This is a very ambigous question as there's more than one answer for it. So, the question is not deemed suitable for a test.

chong y l said...

DESI'S UPDATE:

Starting at 12.20pm, 10 minutes after Posting a rare POLITICAL post on MONADY BLUES CAN BE GOOD TOO!,JUST A FINAL REMINDER please --you have only 11hoursa&50minues from NOW to answer the SECOND CHALLENGE, otherWISE the Booker Prize, "half" of CHALLENGE TO LOVE, goes to HOWSY!!!! (drum roll........):

TELL THEE WHY:

To james: I know you, like Desi, like CRAB for dinner, but these creattures like to walk sideways, the Inggerrris teacher likes to WALK THE ST. AND Barrow! score thee 1/2! (out of ONE, not 100-lah, 'tis teAcher NOT so-cruel ONE!)

Desmond:

Hey, well argued answer. But Henry is a teetotally, like Desi, so you faulted on suggesting "too alcohol-music" related -- score thee 3/4!

Poptart: I think you tossed a four=sided coin on this. Not GOod 'nuff. Score thee 1/4!

Sabrina: here the teAcher is BIASED, 'cos she's my fav GUEST BLOGGER, so I've declared my Partiality --

A sobering 'rite, Sab, I'll converse more with thee
so that these NON-mentees list'n in what the mentor-lated smoker says, OK! (AND this is definitely a rhetorical Q -- no rebuttee on this ONE!)

Score thee 3/4 plus 1/8, 'nuff!? (Sami-rhetorical, as in samy vellu that dictator ...ah, the pleasure of hosting a brog, borrowing IM's and Desmond's alcohol induced ...)

chong y l said...

Continuing at 12.35pm -- HOW-sy the time fries!

Yan: you're under-aged, says the Dictatorial One, but thou also Digressed to sing-land for SHOPPING, that's knotty at Christmass! You're supposed to be home to prepare for the .....

No score-One!

Desiderata: this entry is from oOne over-aged, also
No score-One!! (You see, I was sclolling down the COMMENTS to respond One-bye-One.

Next to:

jessy:

Another one who tossed a three sided coin: although the answer is close to being Right, you need to 'rite more to get more than:
Score to thee: 1/4!

brudder IM:

Jawapan anda adlah TIDAK MURTABAK!

Saya sini sikit=sikit biased sebab brudder ini selalu "bribe" Desi dengan teh-si=lah! Susu=lembu campur pun boleh-lah, dia "savings" banyak=banyak, langsung tak beli newspaper, except theSUN, itupun dia culi-guri dari SEVEN7!

Skor anda, drum roll, putusan muktamad, ialah 1/2 plus 1/8!

sweetspirit:

Darimulanya, Desi berkata saya sangat biased kepada nicloke kid ini, Brudder Im, sila tolong SS jada "The Interpreter",(halo -- ada tengok tak wayang bes fav aktres Desi starring you? ia-lah itu-lah based at the UNUTED NASIONOne!) buat bayi-baye, OK?

Skor anda, pretti Sssh ..., nicolekid ialah 1/2 plus 1/8 .. tie pula dengan bruddder Im. OK-lah, I tambah 2 teh tarikS pada duayou share!


Ah, kyels:

YoungKyels ini pun Desi sikit-sikit biased, latest mentee pulak,bagi saya manyak-manyak kerja-kerja-loh!

Score thee 1/2 minus 1/8, even thy answer sangat short-ONE!

chong y l said...

And finally, 1/2 the BOOKER PRIZE goes to: HOWSY! (Half-trumpet roll........):

BACKGROUND: This question was first emailed me by a concerned Mum (Please keep mum about this, don't tell her I'm going public with this, OK, I had not gotten her permission, and she is like A teaAcher, vely strictOne, Desi's TAKUT-lah! IM: pls translate for sweetspirit, OK?)

HOWSY's answer is the closest to Desis' written to my EstemedFan: CONGRATs are in order,so 2 teh=tariks to HOWSY! and another TEN teh-tariks all round to at least other respondents, second round awaiting!

NOW I extract from my email reply to Yan:(typos, omission & errors all, but my DiscerningReaders can surely tell the ‘rite from ‘rong!…):

“*Ah, ingeris guru here thinks both all four are wrong!
Methinks there going be an Agatha Christie thriller
tonight -- one by one the dinner guests seated neatly
round the table would just slip into unconsciousness
... of Rat Poisoning which takes almost effect within
an hour.
The last one seated with eyes wide open will be the
Unlucky One -- he has to bury all the Others and die
later of arse-nic-laced poisoning which takes effect
after 24 hours.

Seriously -- It's a toss between Chris' Dinner and the
Official Guru's Party. One of those Ambiguous
questions we would NEVER encounter during OUR TIMES.
Now, I pray very hard for the YoungOnes -- there are
actually more serious problems in the classroom and
the newsroom -- eg. I remember one TV3 broadcaster
pronouncing Chaotic as "Chowtic" describing the
commotion taking place at Chow Kit -- someone running
amok on the street wielding a machine gun shooting at
random; Serious story -- TRUE!

So Let's L'VE!

Regards,

Say hi to the Lawyer-Designate.*”

Last appeal from Desiderata.English >>>>>>>

CHALLENGE STILL THERE, PRIZE WAITS

To be rewarded for the WHOLE BOOKER PRIZE of Catherine De Costa's CHALLENGE TO LOVE, PLEASE DO THE SECOND CHALLENGE. You can be IgnorantCowws on Sunday, BUT DON"T SIT ON YOUR BUTTS on Monday!

Now it's 1.15pm, you have another 10hours plus 45minutes before midnite!
<<<<<< (SEVENArrows for at least SEVEN GOoD answers by 24hrs today, Monday no more blues ...)

Thanks, HOWSY, for ty INTELLECTUAL 1/2 ANSWER, NOW to the OTHER 1/2?

chong y l said...

PS: The Best Answer to the Second Challenge gets the Booker Prize of "Challenge to Love" by Catherine De Costa. An autographed copy too!

The scores to the answers for First Challenge don't count. ALL Readers join HOWSY at the starting line! Life can be so unfair, IM complains. Me thinks so too, like Howsy -- surrender your half-advantage, INTELLECTUAL ONE!

chong y l said...

UPDATE TO CHALLENGE 2:

Now 7.00pm. exactly 5 more hours before DEADLINE.

If I don't get at least 10 responses by then, I'll reprise my ALMOST PERSUADED threat to retire...SERII-OOOO-UUS!

OK, ONE HINT:
The answer appears within the TOP QUARTER of the long article!
CHOW!

Catherine's CHALLENGE TO LOVE waiting for the best answer of sufficient quality received by midnite. Results first thing tomorrow morn, Insya-allah!

Anonymous said...

Desi,

I am a bit blurry right now. What is Challenge 2?

Sheesh..

*eyes spinning*

chong y l said...

kyels:

You need to read the WHOLE forest of contents, and see a subheading CHALLENGE 2, to spot an English mistake in the earlier article on 31 July 2005 ...

You're blur because you spent so much time cheering for Chua JM; then felt so down-hearted I had to request IM to pass you some tissue paper. I think you better join SssssSpirit and hold a quick discussion to solve the puzzle ...ven this teAcher is getting blur... please don't MISlead me in the Haze...snow is fine by me! See, I digress, which is not good, can get lostONE, like my LapDog!