My Anthem

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Don't laugh yourself to the bank!

One of mGf at the BF (non-CON today as I couldn't afford it -- but I can yet smile about it!;)) --table asked Desi if I laugh out loud often. She only knew me for sis months and therefore had to ask - so before I answered, I paused, and come to think of it, I said slowly: Modestly. No, the wright word is MODERATELY. Being a Sunday guru in English, I had to be precise.

Then I countered with a logical question -- WHY do you ask?

Similing, then laughing loud a little, she said it was reported in the press some (I confirmed later it was a long time ago, like 1-2 years...) that PEOPLE WHO LAUGH A LOT OFTEN ARE THOSE WITH NOT MUCH MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS! This was solidly based on evidence collected, collated in a big-enough survey to win her nod, also her significant other's complete assent with even a bigger nod. I hope it's not that he's cowed into nodding his head! (Dave, for this butt, the next BF is on me, OK?)

WoW, I was reflective for a moment, then wise-cracked: Hmmm, now I wish to amend my earlier statement -- I normally don't have many notes in my pocket, shirt or toursers -- in fact coins keep falling out of one shirt's pocket! -- so I think I count as ONE OF THOSE WHO LAUGH A LOT!

So the Reader's Digest has not been teaching me wisely on how to make it in this world -- I felt I've been conned for decades now! -- teaching an IgnorantCow like me that Laughter Is the Best Medicine. I must now beg my Readers' forgiveness if I mislead them on this laughter business ...


After mGf's revealing anecdote,I also must challenge and then amend the phrase so erroneously used, with the caveat that mGf's anecdote is clearly unrepudiated by other scientific evidence -- that is: Laughing All the Way to the Bank!


Since I laughed more than my share in this short life on earth, I told mGF there's not enough ....(shy to mention the word-lah!) in my pocket this morn (not too cloudy or gloomy...), I smiled and let mGf pay for the BF, and laughing I made my fast break-away to do this Post!

Hey, bruddder IM< I'll collect that RM1.20 you save on not buying any of this morning's national papers!

Before I guffaw with a loud Adieu, or SSSSSSSPIRIT, is it buy, mate!, I reproduce two eye-catching quotes from The Star yesterday (old copy I picked up fom te neighbour's dustbin ... following IM's wisdom about conservation and re-cycling ...ah, the luxury of DIGRESSION, kyels!


First one dedictaed to mGf Mr Coww, and myself for learning so lately (TERIMA KASIH! for SS, that's Bahasa Malaysia for 'thanks', Cathy!) that Laughter is NOT the Best Medicine to Take if I Want to Open a Swiss Bank Account...


*The living language is like a cow-path: it is the creation of the cows themselves, who, having created it, follow it or depart from it according to their whims or their whims or their needs. From daily use, the path undegoes change. A cow is under no obligation to stay. -- E.B. WHITE, writer (1899-1985)


** Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments. -- ISAAC ASIMOV, scientist and writer (1920-92)


PS: That's all for now, have to rush to that bank before it closes at 11.30am -- to withdraw some American greenback. NAH, it's Saturday, and I realise the banks now DON'T OPEN on Saturdays unless you patronise that Casiono Royale and bet RM2million on ONE SPIN of the dice...Me, I've tried RM10 bets at Genting Lowlands, every week.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Desi,

Ahh. Laughter is definitely the best medicine. Seriously.

Hehe. And I laugh all the time. Even when I read mails.. So.. Hahaha.

Cheers and have a nice weekend Desi!

sweetspirits said...

Desi
So you like Genting , i actually have a few pics of an old friend that stayed there a few yrs ago :) kewl so i know where you are taking about.
cheerz

letti said...

i think i've only played the one armed bandits at genting and that also only once. That also damn stingy, played with only 10 dollars..Hehehe.

chong y l said...

kyels & letti
(& ssssspirit, ignore her, she's invisible for this poem to rhyme;)
are gOod story-tellers
Also ghost writers
One sweetspirited here by A-DU mGf
the other has settled here like
Desi's place is her den


WellWelcome letti from the great US of A
No, she's no American, just like you&me
Since 'is her first visit I say Hey!
Selamat Datang&TehTarik to thee!


On a more seriuos note:
kyels and letti both entertain us with goodtails about the HungryGhostsRoamingChinatowns
Back in Malaysia or A-broad.

And thanks to SSSSSspirit for successfully spiriting letti here,
It's brought to Desi's Home great cheer!

Also, just for the record, the lowlands I visit is the 4ekor shop, hence EVERY week!
SsssssSpirit -- maybe we can apply to Magnum and Howard to have a franchise branch in Oz land -- on the way to OUR I-LAND!

As for Gentings, I don't go there
IT comes to me. And thinking far ahead, with Letti's reach to Hilary Clinton, maybe we branch to the USA three years later with 4D SspiritsandLetti Ghosting Berhad? desi will just collect the rents!

chong y l said...

Ooops, YoungKyels will do her marketing -- ghosting and moonlighting while studying helps.

imran said...

Desi,

Paying a visit to the local 4D shop you say? Any luck? Nothing beats honest and hard work, like I wrote about my previous job.

TOTO = 'Tipu Orang Tarak Otak'

Money and laughter go hand in hand. No money, no laughter, got money more problems. So each of us just have to find a way to balance both.

Anonymous said...

Aha Desi,

A warm welcome to Letti from YoungKyels over here. Hihi!!

Well, Desi, a nice rhyme I must say. You managed to impress me once again. *flying off the ground*

Ooohh.. Moonlighting.. Heh!

Sssssspirit, nice to see you here. A cuppa teh-tarik for you.

Cheers!

chong y l said...

IM:

Sometimes thou taketh Desi too seriously-lah!

Maybe you art overworked -- take a break and dance with light feet as kyels and ssssspirits do -- now Letti is joining the party, but I think Sab is somewhere "lost" like Li'l Boy Blue. Ne'er mind, she'll soon be back; I can hera her from a thousand (KL to_NZ?)(S)mile(s) away!

Anonymous said...

Booo hooo.....

He lost.... Boo hoooo....

chong y l said...

Hi brudder IM:

Pls hand YoungKyels some tissue -- not your tissue, the paper!

imran said...

Desi,

Wait, let me finish today's column by Jeremy Clarkson and then I'll hand it over to Kyels. Yes, I buy newspapers on Sunday to read Jeremy's Column. And also Kallimullah (hope I spelt it correctly) Hasan's column. The rest of the paper is shredded!

sweetspirits said...

Its great to read that u were all here and Letti i hope to see here you here more often
cheerz all