My Anthem

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Language Exquisite, and Profane

Language is just a tool -- and like any invented by Man, it can be used for Good, or Evil, to create Joy&Laughter, or Sadness&Tears. It can make one's readers soar like with Eagle Wings, or it can Dampen, and bring you down to earth with a loud thud.

Let's compare it with a CHOPSTICK, surely this qualifies as another tool invented by Homo sapiens? A YoungFriend nicked Eagle Wings wrote me an essay recently that when two tiny sticks are put together, they serve the purpose of picking up food deftly to shoot into thy hungry mouth.

Ah food,glorious food and Chinese cusine,they are inseparable; and exquisite looking chopsticks -- symbols of fine dining at the Emperor's Palace, seved by ladies-in-waiting dresed in cheong-sam with slits in the long flwoing qipau that distracts (or entertains?) the male eaters' eyes, and watering mouths.

But this humble and harmless looking stick, when seized by a jealous lover, which can be male or femaile, can turn murderous, as the wielder in a state of frency seizes the weapon and pokes it into the surprised recipient's eyes. Cry Muder Most Foul if the force emits from a lover spurned.

So I "borrowed" this Introduction from a "fan", and it's amazing, I often reiterate in my musings such as this still hazy morning at 8am (that is, anti-meridien for the young but not so inisginificant&IgnorantCows, or those in the Seventh stage of their long lives here on TisGoodEarth.) Exquisite tools and exquiste cuisine; yes, after this Post, I'll indulge in some capitalistic breakaway -- hey TIGER,confessed Pragmatist Capitalist,join me for five-coarse breakfast?

So back to my starting.

Language serves mainly to communicate, by body language in the early days before the queer invention of this thing called words, and by symbols ingenuously used by this creature called Man who needed company. See -- lONEliness was his constant company from day 1,myGOodfriend Mr Coww, well-versed in Christian theology, explained that's why God created Eve to be a companion to Adam to start the exciting story of mankind called HisStory. From a non-Christian poit of view, my take is that God created Eve to offer Adam Challenging Times.

Language brings out the Inner Voice in each individual as he tries to communicate his feelings such as needs, fears and yes, emotions like love, fear and joy and laughter, sadness and defeatism too.

So when it comes to Blogging, how one uses the tool of language becomes vital to the blogging's success, or that F word. FAILURE.

But I also want to refer the other F word -- the four-letter word. Just as a forewarning -- children below the age of 16 (age of consent) PLEASE STOP READEING THIS POST HERE AND NOW!


Polite language

The language one uses also reflects on the speaker's/writer's upbringing and breeding. Did the fellow's parents teach him/her well. Is he/she from exquisite stock. Or just a pariah one.

Hey, I'm stepping into dangerous territory here.

Well, ne'er mind. My hits counter ws registering vely, verily, slowly. Despite my evil plan plan borrowed from The Island to make it (no, not the I-LAND! the Readers Counter ...) shoot through the roof.

May be this next paragraph will help it go, to the ground. Just pray it's notso. Surely, my time's NOT Nyet UP!

Sprinkle some flowery language: You fucker, what the fuck, of whatthe fucks (I don't know when the singular or the plural forms should apply ... so I quote both). Then you have You F......Arsehole; you smelly ...., another four-letter word that rhymes with fun but garnisheed with a T.

I'll think I'll stop here, most of Desi's readers are extremely discerning, i won't make it disconcerting for them.



(Now from here, the less than 16-year-olds can rejoin reading this Post. And that's an ORDER! Parents/adults reading this, pass on the order.)

Now I've got my examples across, my Readers might be wondering what Desiderata is tryng to say this colourwoe morning -- the air downtown Seremban where I roam is still polluted by the .. ah, four-letter word again, HAZE!


My post today -- after much reflection -- was instigated by brudder Mack -- you still don't know him? HE -- of the http://brandmalaysia.com fame!

Long story short, he deleted a phrase of my comment (for the first, I hope it's the last time!)when I cheekily refered to the 'ick word, yes, four-letter, you fill in the MISSING letter-lah! when I engaged in some WORD-PLAY with the accompanying word "Defined", which would imply I wanted to be "cool" to create a harmless variant of that longish word -- DICTIONARY. But long story short, I had to follow up sheepishly to explain myself to Mack, who responded with a compliment/complement that he was also wondering why I strayed from the straight and narrow -- not my character to use "impolite" language. He accepted my explanation, and yes, it was a MIS-understanding.

Yes, there will continue to be misunderstandings, as long it's merely using the WORD medium, it's OK by Desiderata. Ne'er mind, language can be TRICKY sometimes -- with innuendoes, double meanings, hyperboles and, ah, my fav (and for IgnorantCowws still roaming this range, fav is for 'favourite', last time, OK! ...:)Brudder Mack -- Bless him for his positive influnce along with my Sifu JeffOoi of Screenshots' fame/approaching infamy for his nemesis? -- nah, I'm not going to elaborate for those still not so InsignificantOnes out there!)is POETIC LICENCE.And DIGRESSION, becoming a boring habit; but have patience as The Nun, no?

Exquisite languagelike the humble chopstick, can be used as a mighty tool. Ah, I can't resist ending with adapting from Spidie's much quoted quote:

With mighty power comes mighty responsibility!(C)

So if any Blogger wants to survive in the long run (like any marathoners), please know the difference between exquisite and profane. I also sometimes try profound.


FOOT(D)NOTE:
Desiderata has no intention to step on any fellow Blogger's foot or toes. I was just 2 days ago recruiting thee to sign up for OUR I-LAND, remember? Today's musing is just sharing food for thought at breaking fast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Desi,

Language is definitely a tool created for us to communicate with each other. Without languages we will live in silence without anyone to communicate to.

But in this new era, polite language are disappearing mainly because foul languages are taking over its place.

I digress. I believe that everyone knows how to swear, obviously but it depends on how we use those language. But definitely polite language is better. :)

Cheers!!!

chong y l said...

kyels:

I'm wondering why even so-called "educated" ppl prime for foul language. I guess if it's delivered in a humourous context, it's OK, but overdoing it like a 4-letter word in every other sentence ...they might as well play a recorded msg singing out aloud the same WHF word if they like the sounds so much!

better not elaborate, lest ... I get ......!

Anonymous said...

Hi Desi,

Yeah. You've got a point there.

*hugs*

Cheers!!!