My Anthem

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Blowin' in the Wind

The last few days Desiderata was engaging in light banter and joyfully tagging along on a Wild Goose Chase with my readers in an excursion started off by a short question sent over to this self-apppointed guru inggeris for the Sunday column. The Booker Challenger has NOT been won yet.

Today I am back to normal musing, if there is anything normal about a journalist in a half-awake and half-ranting mood! Half-awake? Yes, the goings-on in my country seem to be out of Alice in Wonderland -- "It gets curiiouser and curiouser!"

SssssSpirit
must be in higher spirits this morn when she reads this, (Shall we do the Matilda, nicolekid? Don’t you people get jeles okay, I shall have the first dance, then it’s Open House - National Day remember?) but please don’t drink too much Foster’s unless Desi is around!


Where am I?

Oh, the answer my fRiend, is blowin' in the wind …

Yes, along Jalan Ampang near where the World’s Tallest Twin Towers stand, the Petronas Oneor2, built there on Citizens Behalf as Petronas is the National Oil Corporation.

The reality as God Disposes and Smiles on us Malaysians. TWO Bloody Lucky COUNTRIES -- Malaysia and Australia, I used to tell my Aussie Friends. I plan to propose in Parliament for these two to merge to become MALAUSTRAYSIA when the YoungPeopleParty forms the Government.

Here’s the basis.

I read this report belatedly as the day faded into Eventide, hidden as a Brief on page 2 of theSUN August 23, 2005.

M’sians more like Aussies : Downer

ADELAIDE: Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has described Malaysians as “the Australians of Southeast Asia”.
“Like Australians, Malaysians are frank, robust but very friendly,” he told Malaysia’s National Day celebrations here over the weekend.
“While Malaysians will tell you what they think, and they are frank about it, the other Southeast Asians tend to be a little cautious of what they say,” Downer said at the evnt organized by the Australia-Malaysia Business Council.


Hear, hear! Minister Downer does not live up to his Nama, but it’s okay; He gave us Bloody Malaysians an Upper!

SssssSpirit must be in higher spirits this morn when she reads this, plus that knottyboy from Catsville, Kennysiah, if he reads this, as he considers Perth his H-own!

Just for the record, I got my GAJI (handsumONE) for 12 short years from the Aussie government while serving as its Press Officer at the High Commission in Kuala Lumpur in THOSE WERE THE DAYS. Although I interacted often with someone at the Wisma MCA in Jalan Ampang,Koala Lumpuh, just a stone's throw away, I never did buy into his party propaganda. In fact I tried to seduce him inviting him to the mission's ANNUAL MELBOURNE CUP< during which run the whole bloody Australian nation comes to a complete shutdown except for that horsey race!

INDEED, Malaysia and Australia are TWO BLOODY LUCKY COUNTRIES. But in deeds, how do the leaders perform?
Oz land is blessed with all sorts of minerals most of which are untapped.
My country every now and then finds new oil fields, and God saves us many a time from Doomsville.

But lately, the strange goings-on, at the PWTC and Wisma MCA -- they make me feel half-sedated, and nervous. Even as I write this, I ask: how do our leaders perform, in deeds?

Tell you why my concern and nerves.

Remember that keris-waving hero of Hishammuddin Hussein at the recent UMNO YOuth Assembly? He's the youth chief of the largest component in the 14-component Barisan Nasional. He represents the leadership of the next generation. And he's wielding a weapon from out of 15th century Malaccan empire -- ancient times, isn't it? Don't you parents waver in your daily prayers?

Then just last Friday, Mr Ling Hee Leong -- soon to become Datuk? -- was elected as the deputy chief of MCA Youth. Remember him of the roaring 1997/98 stock-boom-and-crash days when he could -- at the old age of 27 --obtain RM1.2BILLION facilities from the conservative Malaysian banks to take control of at least four public listed companies?

I hope Malaysian memories are not that short, sedated may be, but let's wake up to THE REALITY!

The reality is that as OUR NATION approaches its 48th Birthday, I have some tremblings down my spine looking at the country's second echelon leadership if they are represented by the likes (or ilks?) of Hishamuddin and Ling Junior.

The latest, from a reliable source -- Hishamuddin drives around in a four-wheel drive called the HUMMER made by General Motor registered number JEN 8. (JEN for jeneral and 8 for Chinese luck?)

The rice is a cool -- or is it small change? --RM960,000. That JEN8 is only one of three imported into the country now.

And compare with this fact: The National Union of Plantation Workers recently signed a wages agreement with the workers ensuring them a handsome monthly wage of minimum RM350! No, Desi did not leave out a zero or two! And my eyesight is not approaching senility stage! Neither is my hearing!

Foof for Thought, myGOoD fRiends, especially the YoungOnes. You have evry reason to be afraid, and we are NOT living in a land of want. There's plenty here, as inDOWN UNDER. But Mr Downer better be prepared for another exodus of the Malaysian YoungOnes out of Malaysia to DU -- ma ybe you consider my Humble Proposal in advance, pass it on to Mr Howard? MALAYAUSTRAYSIA?


DESIDERATA: A special message to the YoungOnes like Sabrina and Kyels and many other raeders who I know occasionally visit Desi' Place, I urge thee to ponder over maestro-philosophic Bob Dylan's mighty deep words:




BLOWIN' IN THE WIND


How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.


How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.


How many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea?
Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
Pretending he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.


FAREWELL to all the thousands of youths who died in Vietnam in the service of their Proud Country called the US of A; also to the YoungOnes who answered Dylan's call to do somethin' about the delibilating war in the 19760s that took away a whole generation of Vietnamese, especially the YoungOnes. So, when will we ever learn? Remember, WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE?

28 comments:

Fashionasia said...

lo desi, oh i love the song....well since im too late for the previous challenge, looking forward to the next challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Desi,

I don't think we can do much since Hishamuddin and Hee Leong were elected into the Youth party. What we can do now is just pray for the best that our motto will not be eat, drink, play and be merry.

It's really sad to see our nation succumb into the hands of ignorant "youths". What will Malaysia be in the next generation?

I don't even want to start wondering. In case I might wonder further and fall deeper.

Hmm..

chong y l said...

hi fasjioasia:

How art thou tis morn.

And what's the F-trend for today.

In seremban my I abide it's the Haze back again, also hot and dry.
I'm mail, I can go topless, can't I?

What about for the femail? -- safe to go bra-less? Topless? Anyways, we don't see beyong 2 feet 1inch plus 1cm in the ...Yeh, Blame it on the Haz...!

Oh, you have to wait for sunday -- desiderata.english remember for the next challenge -- but desi must not be in that Haze-y mood. Go shake-a-pear or2 may be. L'VE, from F1, remember?

chong y l said...

Hi kyels:

I've agreed to be the party's Honorary Adviser, with your generous Honorarium, remember?

How's the YPP going. Touch a million members, readying for GE2008/2009 yet?

Hey, the future for thy YoungPeers looks a lityle Haze-y and Maze-y, Do sometin' SOON. Ger Sabrina back on track; Mr Downer is is a generous mood with Malaysians -- ask him for a launching grant (AUSD1million? = rememeber my Honorarium of RM1million a year!) for a potential merged MALAUSTRAYSIA!

Sabrina Tan said...

huh??? tht must be the joke of a lifetime...msians like aussies??
As the Aussies woudl say it:" Get out of here!!"
I am sure ssspirits would agree with me on that...
Muahahhahah...

*blushing now, this Sab is trying to be an Aussie at heart...well, blame in on Sydney who took my heart away..and I still pin for Sydney...imagine the days and nights without Syd..**

Anyhow I digress....

I WISH msians can be more like Aussies...not taking every BEET (bit, in actual fact, but the Aussies have a funny way of pronouncing the I's...as the Kiwis put it...) of the culture, but absorbing the good BEET of it...

I...shall return to my afternoon tea...after a day's stress...

Anonymous said...

And where shall the wind blow today?

For tis morn' the wind came with the rain and wet the very ground my tyres traverse towards the place of my labour...hehehe

Humvee with JEN8??!! Omigosh!!! Must be from the allocated quota for each Member of Parliment...;)
Now that is a real ego trip. Whatever happen to ole Proton car?

Er..Desi, MALAUTRAYSIA sound very close to MALAUxxx as in monkey in Chinese-leh...

chong y l said...

Hi Sab:

Found thy way back to Desi's, I see, through the Haze.

I share many of thy views.

But we sometimes must look at the brighetr side of things, don't we, so we can wake up the morrow to FIGHT THE GOoD fight?

You can go on to Sydney soon, but what about all your fRiends back home? I know you sometimes wonder where is this hOme? OR question what's HAPPENING to this land called Malaysia. I too. Kyels too. Imran too. ... hey, am I too presumptious here speakimg on someBODY's behalf!

Let's hear from the Others.

Meanwhile, Sab -- you go with SsssSpirit and do the hip=hop and think about this plan for MALAUSTRALSIA, willya? GoodD'y. mates!

I'll come a Waltzing Matilda with thee (that is, SS and Sab, -- Hi brudder IM, don't feel jeles, join the Party! Hope you're recovered from WORK!--, if the plan comes true and thru.

chong y l said...

Hey Moses,
Glad to have you back, but miss'd you (I was about to say THEE, but Im whispered, hey desi, don't wanna lose his support for MALAUSTRALSIA, remember?) at Challenge 2! What happened -- learned the great EXPLAIN by HOWSY, and the REVENGE OF THE APOSTROPHE?

Back to this proposal -- yeh, the name sounds a li'l "funny" in KantoniCe, meanwhile it's alright, We'll excange our monkeys for their 'roos, not for eating though, you chinamen!!! (i have eaten dog meat before, but GrandPa said it was goat's meat ...Those Were The Days, my fRiend, we thought they'd nenver end, remember?))but I don't think Downer or Howard knwos this dia-lect, do they?

I'll consult and test it on that nicolekid (the INTERPRETOR, at the UNited Nations level somemore, remember?...I digress, beg your (cancelled the thy I typed just now!) pardon.

One teh tarik for thy visit. The wind has blown the Haze partially away, and mGf Catherine who's a li'l mite asmathic, breathes better today...

chong y l said...

PS to Moses:

You're still driving that Ploton? or Perodua or Tiga? You're living in Malaccca of the 1500s, when the keris is till vely much in fashion. Today in the newer millennium, five years gone into it o'lady, we must use up our APs and make the rent-collectors have some more -- millionaires instantly, remember? At 27 by that ling Jr? Also the second most powerful kid in the country at 28 -- that Khairy Jamaluddin, remember? I wonder what cars these two laeders of the Youths of today -- and OMIGOSH, can I borrow thy swear word, very mild one! --and LEADERS OF WONDERLAND come 2020 or earlier!

I'm vely, vely faraid for you YOUNGOnes; me, I'm very, very YoungAtHeart, still beating, or as Sab says, BYTing ,or isit BEETing!

Anonymous said...

Me? Mon Car? Er... 1993 Toyota Corolla SEG that is making my pocket empty every other third to fourth day, sir.

In fact, if can, and if wife permits, plan to change to 1985 Ploton. Minyak economy lah...old car never mind as long as can get me from point EH! to point BEE and help keep my pocket bulging with whatever value paper thereis to be kept.

Ling Boy-boy? Hai-yoh...1.2B...Man, I can fly to moon and back and back again many times over ;) with that kind money. No need much for me, 1985 Ploton Sar-gah, small little house by the sea side, every month RM1000(inflation adjusted) for personal expenses for the rest of my natural life is not lot (right?)

That humvee guy-ah. Better clear the road, let his ego past better than get rollover by it. There are better things to do in life... like seeing a kid goes to school than selling contraband cigarette on the street like what is happening in the East Coast of Sabah (This one I actually see for myself)

Cheers

Anonymous said...

P/S As for chasing wild goose or Desi "reality" challenge, I settle for the next one. This cikgu inggeris is one heck of a writer to follow but very good-lah.

BTW, on a serious note...how was it like studying in primary and secondary school back in your days? What was it that you remember about those days? I asking because my wife and I were discussing about what kind of education path for our precious junior. Every kid is a precious pearl, mine is no difference. Want him to experience the joy of wholesome education rather than being pressurized by public exam studying.

Regards

sweetspirits said...

Hi Desi
Hmm Downer might have it half right ,actually i don't mind Downer,, in other words his ok.As for Australia being like Malaysia , i think its ok to say. Actually my former neighbours were from Malaysia lovely people .They use to own Cinta take away yummy .Then of course my former online bf was Malaysian , that is what drew me into cyber space and Malaysia .So yeah Ausmalaysia sound good ,however you spell it.Btw i love
Bob Dylan I believe in you
They ask me how I feel
And if my love is real
And how I know I'll make it through.
And they, they look at me and frown,
They'd like to drive me from this town,
They don't want me around
'Cause I believe in you.

They show me to the door,
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to,
And I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter,
I believe in you even though we be apart.
I believe in you even on the morning after.
Oh, when the dawn is nearing
Oh, when the night is disappearing
Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

Don't let me drift too far,
Keep me where you are
Where I will always be renewed.
And that which you've given me today
Is worth more than I could pay
And no matter what they say
I believe in you.

I believe in you when winter turn to summer,
I believe in you when white turn to black,
I believe in you even though I be outnumbered.
Oh, though the earth may shake me
Oh, though my friends forsake me
Oh, even that couldn't make me go back.

Don't let me change my heart,
Keep me set apart
From all the plans they do pursue.
And I, I don't mind the pain
Don't mind the driving rain
I know I will sustain
'Cause I believe in you.




cheerz my friend

sweetspirits said...

Now i couldn't leave here after realizing i never stated my thoughts on the Vietnam war , like every war they are shameful acts of mankind :(.

chong y l said...

hey mistyeiz:

Tellyawat -- I'll officially make thee OUR tehtarik gal!
Satu lagi, campur ice poliis!

chong y l said...

brudder moses -- Ne'er mine, yours toyota SEG, mine Toyota DZ once-upon-river-TIME, where I gota my inggeris masters, I digress, gostan a bit -- then to answer miniSTER's call to be tatriotik, I subs Toyota for Ploton Is 1.5, now no one can excuse me of not supporting the local outermotive (bad motif here, poor spelling', my darl...I digress again, Im whispers I should test thy patience now you've gotta used to Desi's LONG-windyness ... Blowin' in te ....remember?)industry.

But seriously, how old are you?

That Ling-a-ding was primed as a role model for Malaysian youth by THE STAR (and maybe other HuaRen controlled) paper, you did not follow in his footsteps ah? One-thousandth of his role modal will also make thee a Millionaire wat!

Me, I took part in Jalaluddin's "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and i was kicked out in the first round -- They asked me to name the first MCA president --- I cracked, and cracked my head, then just beofre the bell rang, I answered "Bill Gates" -- and Ibowed my head in same-lah! My face turned Pinkish, then Red Indian Red, then Loster Red!

I think i stop here, vely tired, do want to put in that apostrophe anymore, also no capItal for i, makes me feel so small.

Moses. go bring back those Tablets featuring The Ten Commandments, will send a copy to be hung at Wisma MCA, and PWTC, WanOrNot? We'll lead, the YoungOnes like Sab, kyels and Im (i guess you're a teenager plus a few tahun, right?)will follow...

chong y l said...

PS to Moses:

Today I remind thee is WedNurseday, not Sunday, so anything to do with the exquisite English language to the highest standards of the Bard will have to wait until the August 28, 2005 or SEVEN days later, or SEVEN7 days later still. Till the river flows upstream ...And Desi wakes up from his dream ...Moses, adieu, not goodbuy!

chong y l said...

Hi SssssSpirits:

Seriously, if all Aussies are like you and Desi, singing poems and songs of Bob Dylan, Brothers3 or 4, and doing the Ronggeng and Waltzing Matilda,
Make L'VE, Not W'R,
Australia and Malaysia will be the role models of the world.

SS, You light up the world torch
When YPP forms the gomen
I'll ensure a Ploton Saga on every porch
We'll have Porschesat Our Den

I'd oversee all Aussie politicians'needs
You oversight all Msian politicians' deeds
We'll call this nation MALAUSTRAYSIA
We'll replicate many of OUR I-LAND
And the new entity becomes OUR

SS: Thanks for the luv'ly poem; really, if I should convert some of these MCA or UMNO youths to appreciate some of OUR POETRY, they won't want to drive any HUMMER, cos Life at OUT I-LAND will make every citizen an A-WINNER.

Primrose said...

Wow! *clap clap* I like all your responses. I laaaaik!

Err, I initially wanted to write a word or two but after having read all comments, I've forgotten. Forgive me forgetful brain.

Howsy said...

Hey Desi-My england not powderful one lar...sorry-been very busy caught up with some work this whole week-unlikely to update my blog/leave comments in your blog.
BTW, Malaysia's greatest export to Australia is...its talent.

chong y l said...

hi primrose:

thanks for coming back, that fashionista too, as both of you are my latest 2 guests.

Becuase you asked for it, DESI has decided there will indeed be a Challenge 4 waiting on Sunday Aug ust 28, 2005 ... but this time you must promise to wrack your brains.

Forgetful, ne'er mine. Share a sacred with thee -- Sab and Desi wracked our brains so much = me as *hostess and she as Blogger- Guestess = we must always make the twain rhyme, 4?-- we almost became nervous wrecks.

*Compare if we can say Shirley Maclaine is an actress, why can't YLChong be a hostess? You check with the IntellectualOne HOWSY, logical? No booker prize for agree-ing 'cos on OUR I-LAND, every citizen is corruption-free!

chong y l said...

Desi was truly nerVous just now, also bloody tired after reading Howsy's (response to follow next)-->>-- replace Shirley Maclaine is an "actor" (throw that actress out of the window!) NOW IT'S LOGICAL!

SOS: Howsy, can take over as Blogger-Hostess or not?

chong y l said...

HOWSY:

You WON half the book last time, if logically speaking you win 1/2 a point this round come sunday, you may get back your advantage. See, I'm not partial to nicolekid or primrose, or fashionista, or sab, or kyels -- who , BTW, are allgreat writresses...

Howsy, Malaysia's greatest export to Oz is TALENT?! Then how come ylchong's still hiding here and wishing for OUR I-LAND? Life, as brudder Imran says, if just (did I say just as in "fair"?) not fair! I hope Moses is not going to lodge any report against Desi for abusing the engrund?

Seriously, Howsy -- you've caught on Imran's fever -- WORK -- it's another 4-letter word which I think I'd refer to Mack if it's comes under proFUNities ...

Meanwhile, till daylight dawns with a bright s-MILE that can be seen in engrund and DownOver, it's Bye-Buy (pushing Cathy's romance...) for now.

9.29pm Wednurseday (yes, that's how I heard the majority of our TV presenters saying it! Howsy, wat about engrund speakers?)

sweetspirits said...

Yes i shall become the peoples Advocate hehe,,our island home
actually have you read "My Sweetest Libbie" ?
Well my friend i am going to zzzland
nights tcz

Anonymous said...

Desi,

I think the party idea is cool and will be forming it soon. And I need you to advice me on how to go about the setting up of our new Party!

Heh!

Cheers!

chong y l said...

SsssssSpirit:

Sweet dreams to thee
Labour no more
You&I've done our share of labour
We in deed need to retire, that the morrow again we soar


Kyels too:

Put thy brain to rest
After you've done your best
Nobody can accuse us we didn't try
We're still capable of seeing, and we also cry...

chong y l said...

Oh MistyEiz:

Through the fog and mist
Thru dark and dangy Haze
I stole a quickie at thy collection
It sitrs up deep, dark and yet warm emotion

Thanks for dropping up again -- I always fall for people who have a special link with Oz Land -- hence you Words Are All I Have ...seduces Desi to peep often at thy Blog, and this latest visit amazes me as I paid a maiden call, and stole this:
(cos it was composed at the break of dawn ma be, following the dying rays of moonlight from the Ides of March 2005 when I started Desiderata2000...I can immediately connect with ...just the first stanza I "borrowed" without the poet's permit:


"*Your Warmth

The dawn creeps in like a thief in the night
As the cool morning chills shadows over me
I huddle beneath my blanket, all curled up in a ball
As feelings of loneliness begin to call ..."

PS: I commend all mGf to peek into MISTYEIZ' eyes and behold my sifu's disciple in Cyber space...


Many salutes to thee, S. Yvylyn Shann-Lu! my kindred spirit? :);):);):););) SEVEN!


PPS: Yes, sole and ONEly tehtarikgal we'll accept thee, while HariDas does the brewing, and thou the singing-resident- poetess2! on OUR I-LAND, fantasy now, but slowly realising it ... with all mGf in the plural's help.

Anonymous said...

Aiyo-eh-o!

My head so round-round leh reading all the talk-talk here...hostess, bogger-guestess, mGf, ....(& on & on) @_@

I, me, mon, saya... is a 70s babe. end of hippies sixties decade and start of seventy era. So the number is mid-age but the looks, that another story...a lot people still think I'm in college. how nice but just 'sigh' not so.

ABBA is cool, Vietnam war? Blissfully enjoying my guli.

You from Seremban? Me grow up in Mantin. Mantin is home though now Klang Valley is the residence location. I enjoy the tree lining the road going to Seremban Hospital, now shoplots. Now miss it to a certain extent.

Those Tablets? There are suppose to be hung in the heart brother(was about to say s'r but remembering you are a socialist).

Ok-lah, gotta go.

btw, i enjoy Blowing in the Wind (that is the easiet chord-change-on-the-guitar song that I can remember without actually looking at the songbook) *smirking*

chong y l said...

Moses:

From Mantin eh?
I like a fishhead curry there just as I enter te own from Seremban.

Why you're not a man to stay behind and leave all the preetygals to move to that big bad city where there are more wolves than men?

Oh, you're not the only one lost in the time and lingo warp, you see even nicolekid tries to pass on Oz slang to us, so I have to export some back to her. We cannot just recieve, can we? We must also give.

Hey, it's alright to just yak-chatter like adam and eve if you feel like Eat, appple talking to orange also can. Orang to orang-orang pun boleh -- bolehland eremember?

Some readers have fedback to Desi the posts are a wee bit heavy, hence via conversations here, we try to let go a bit with banter, kaya.bread and butter, teh tarik or Oz Rut Bir also can.

Just don't use knotty language, or my teAcher brudder Mack may object1!

Hey, Moses, how come you miss'd Challenge 3(b)? I've extended the deadline till Friday 8.00am -- go try because sole entry Imran tried vely hard, but the ball bounced back!

Seeya in seremban one of these days, I'll take thee to Haridas, where the teh tarik and/dan nasi lemak is bes(t)!