My Anthem

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Windmills of My Mind

Desiderata must have lingered in JULIUS CAESAR's territory for longer than usual (since last Sunday's wee hours)... caught in some TIME WARP pondering what I termed as a "resounding betrayal" of a friendship. When the emperor-to-be was greeted by the band of conspirators headed by Brutus, CAESAR was in a state of shock as six or seven of the assasins put their daggers in his back, splattering blood over over his robe. As Caesar staggered towards his trusted friend, the honourable Brutus, the latter took out a knife and sank it into Caesar's chest, and the victim wailed: "Et tu, Brute!" (meaning "You too, fiendish one!" also playing on the assasin's name, BRUTUS.

Yes, the most honourable Brutus who was held in high regard by all the other Senators gathered at the Capitol on the Ides of March for an assembly, Brutus' act sealed the Emperor-to-be's fate -- the stab was described by Mark Antony as "the most unkindest cut of all".

Desiderata has sunk into certain similar states of despair, and it was one thus that budded the following poem (I apologise if my AnGeR shows forth like a TiGeR's bared teeth!):

Mind Game

You praised me sky high
He landed me a left hook


One acted as Dr Jekyll
The other as Mr Hyde

Then you denied singing the praises
He said the left swings were right


I know not what game Both are playing
I've warned it's life threatening

Beware the fury of a mind nigh exploding
From damning praises and hurting hooks


You behaved like an angel
He applied the arms of a terrorist

But working in unison
You Both are cowardly leftists


Worse than the scum of the earth
Yet you Both vow to clean up the mess

It's a mind game I would want stopped now
Or I'll hit back doubly hard


At you with a humbling, righteous left
At him with a numbing, terrorist right

YLChong
,
Composed on an Angry Day some years ago, Desiderata's Ides of March?

PS: Dwell on the thought there is within us the potentials for an Angel and/or a Beast springing forth, depending on the trigger? I believe so.

4 comments:

sweetspirits said...

Hi Desiderata
I can relate to that in many ways.
Mind games reminds me of John Lennon's song Mind Games, but also reminds me of life in general.As humans we cannot be perfect and even the nicest of ppl and go astray ,as we all know there is no such thing as perfection in the humans.
tcz

sweetspirits said...

Here is a poem i wrote many many moons ago,I'll share it with you here.

The One
Thy words are in silence,
Thy love is in vain,
Art thou let thy feel thy presence
Art thou take away thy pain,
Thy do not foresake
Thy come unto thee again
Art thou love is not fake
Art thou love shall remain
Thy soul is but one
Thy hearts entwined never undone
Art thou shall be one,
beneath thy moon n sun,
until thy last breath
,,,,Always Libbie,,,,,
Posted by sweetspirit at
In thy depths of thee heart n soul
Beyond thy end of time

chong y l said...

Hi SS:

It's been a while since I heard from thee: hope you're well and s-soaring!

I'm familiar with MOST of Beatles songs (Let It Be is my anthem in desiderata.living...); but when I wrote Mind Game some years ago, it was inspired (INSTIgated?)by a band of human robbers at a certain wrokplace; I did not realise Lennon had such a nuymber. (I must look it up and comapre notes!) Some events recently triggered back a similar "nightmarish" landscape,in such times, I turn to mu poems...

Ah, thanks for "sharing" your wonderful verses. If only we can set our poems to tune, maybe some Lennon somewhere may immortalise our "compositions" in musicland, just a neighbour of desiderata.poetry.com?

Sweet (2X) Spirit: Have a Nice&Beautiful Poetic Day, OK!

sweetspirits said...

Desiderated
I may not leave my thoughts here often but i am always logging by.

Like you i turn to poetry , for me it is a release .Although it is rare for me to share my poetry with others online,so i guess today was a first .As they say there is a first time for everything,and i do hope that those "nightmarish" landscapes are gone.Musicland hmmm sounds good, i do like "Let It Be" .
I must go now or i will be here until the end of time ,if i start talking about songs n music.

I wish you a nice weekend n do take care