My Anthem

Monday, June 11, 2012

An IMPORTANT post by Marina Mahathir -- better late than never!

Desi has interacted with Star columnist Marina Mahathir at some rare Bloggers' meets; I often read her writings in The Star. I belatedly read the May 29 article reproduced below -- it is IMPORTANT THAT ALL BLOGGERS READ THIS ARTICLE and beware the cyber-troopers who may plant seditious comments at thy blog, and such may be used as "evidence" against you!


Thanks Marina, hope to BUMp into ye and I'll buy ye endless rounds of tehtarik! -- from fellow BUMmer YL, Desi

NOTE: Marina was gracious to participate at one of the earlier BUM events as a panel speaker. Thanks, TerimaKasih again, from BUM OC chair.
 From rantingsmm.blogspot.com:)~~~~~~








Imitation may be a form of flattery but impersonation is not. I have just found out that someone's been posting articles online that are purportedly by me. Like this one. Now anyone who's followed me all these years will recognise the way I write. And that article is not my style at all.

I have reason to be concerned about this. The Government has just passed a new law, the Evidence Amendment (No 2) Act 2012, which among other things, will go after anyone who allegedly posts views that may be different from others, even if they have posted them anonymously or by using a pseudonym. For an explanation of this, read this andthis.

What this means for me is, if someone impersonates me and posts things which I didn't say, I would still be held liable for them. Unless I can prove that it wasn't me. In other words, I am guilty of posting those words until I can prove I'm innocent. Is this justice?? Interestingly enough, as far back as 2007, people have addressed this problem, as in thisarticle.

So people, please do take note. This is my only blog. Apart from this, I write my column, Musings in The Star. Occasionally I will write a piece for some other online portal but never another blog. Be wary also of 'quotes' by me that cannot be traced to any source, such as newspaper interviews, and comments by me that really don't sound like me. As you know, I'm always polite so anything that has lots of rude words in it is definitely NOT me. I've been told that someone makes comments under the name 'Marina M'. There's a slight difference between that and how I identify myself. If you're ever in doubt, ask me.

Thank you!