My Anthem

Monday, November 27, 2006

A warm toast in Chinoserie mediascape

THis morning at breakfast my toast tasted warmer than usual -- sweeter too with the kaya seemingly acquiring a more fragrant and richer taste, ooomph! -- as I was lifted by a news item in a field close to my heart, MEDIA. Desi has spent the larger part of his career trying to be a good journalist -- derisively called many names in this field like P! but do I blame them? -- like as in newshounding, ala Woodward and Bernstein? Wow! fame and power, by association, that's a wordsmith's trick of the trade to gain some attention. I guess it's better/badder? than a GEIC always writing in the first person "I" having a power-lunch with a certain corporate bigger with a Datuk in front, or a Tan Siweighing one Tonne ...The more exuberant would even front it with a Dr. to boot/loot. In good and august company -- Dr. Elie, where art thou with thy RM1billion for Makna?

An undoubted positive devlopment in Chinoserie mediacape is the following -- from The Star, Nov 27, 2006, page N10:



Businessman offers to buy Tiong’s NPHB shares

KUALA LUMPUR: Sarawak businessman Lau Swee Nguong has offered to buy the shares owned by timber tycoon and media mogul Tan Sri Tiong Hiew King in Nanyang Press Holdings Bhd (NPHB).

Lau, 81, who is KTS Group chairman, said he was making the offer in his personal capacity to ensure the healthy advancement of the Chinese media’s future.

“I shall accept and purchase all shares owned by Tiong and upon completion I will split the shares and resell it to any corporation, society or individual from the Chinese community with a public covenant that no such corporation, society or individual shall own more than 5% of the entire paid-up capital of NPHB,” he told a press conference here yesterday.

He also opened the offer to other shareholders of NPHB, including MCA’s investing arm Huaren Holdings Bhd, but did not disclose the price he was willing to offer.

Lau said he was making this proposal following requests from friends in the Chinese community, and he was making this offer together with the community.

He added that he would undertake the role to raise RM5mil to be donated to the Chinese community in assisting them to purchase the NPHB shares.

Last month, MCA announced that it had decided to sell off 21.02% of its 41.02% stake in Nanyang Press (M) Bhd to Ezywood Option Sdn Bhd.

Ezywood is owned by Tiong, who also owns two other Chinese newspapers – Sin Chew Daily and GuangMing Daily.

“I am an ardent supporter of issues concerning Chinese culture and education.

“Although I live in Sarawak, I am equally concerned about the development of these issues in the Peninsular,” said Lau, who is also former chairman of the Federation of Associations for Chinese Independent Schools Board of Management in Sibu.


DESIDERATA:

I urge my EsteemedREaders to note the highlights (BOLDED THUS or itlaicised by DEsi).

AS a media practitioner -- I still earn B&B as a freelance journalist; hey, I don't get paid fro Blogging, OK! Though some posts are spun again later for use at any MSM willing to accept Desi's writHes! -- I am always gladdened by media events that help to democratise this social institution and its environments.

I am most heartened by the potential new majority owner of Nanyang by this assurance:

********
“I shall accept and purchase all shares owned by Tiong and upon completion I will split the shares and resell it to any corporation, society or individual from the Chinese community with a public covenant that no such corporation, society or individual shall own more than 5% of the entire paid-up capital of NPHB,” he told a press conference here yesterday.
*******
Especially the latter part of ~~ "with a public covenant that no such corporation, society or individual shall own more than 5% of the entire paid-up capital of NPHB...".

Here's an enterpreneur with a civic conscience who is in touch with the Chinese community. I would urge other language media -- English, Tamil, Malay even Urdu if in existence here! -- to follow this prime example. Whether one likes it or not, present owner Tiong with more or less monopolistic control of the Chinese media in the peninsula -- rivalled only by new kid on the block, Oriental Daily News, which is by the way, also owned by the KTS Group -- does not lend to a healthy media environment. Tiong has, to his credit, avowed his dedication to a free and responsible press when buying over the Nanyang stake from Hua Ren, but it's putting into action such as pledged by the new owner in "diluting" the ownership for a wider spread, especially among individual stakeholders, that re-insures a lesser tendency or opportunity for "abuse", or for biased reporting and editorialising.

Desi thinks (it's allowed yes?) that someone borrowed one of my ideas (about that 5% limit thingy...) which was floated when I wrote in conjunction with World Press Day, but I ain't gonna file a suit for 'plagiarism', Ahem. Oh, no, Desi's no opportunist though he has often thought aloud on getting that 20million. Or the usual 30% CON...Howver, I would still urge the Government to abolish the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984 so that other press, like PKR's "Suara Keadilan", can freely publish to truly promote a First World citizenry acquainted with civilised discourse, even allowing for room for dissent and disgreement. Now that I have done my small "part" promoting democratic discourse, can you indulge one more idiosyncrazy of mine?

Since this is a happy morn, I shall reprise a happy tune, cun?
And that's a rhetorical quest7...


IF I HAD A HAMMER (The Hammer Song)
words and music by Lee Hays and Pete Seeger


If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning

I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land


If I had a bell
I'd ring it in the morning

I'd ring it in the evening
All over this land
I'd ring out danger
I'd ring out a warning
I'd ring out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land


If I had a song
I'd sing it in the morning

I'd sing it in the evening
All over this land
I'd sing out danger
I'd sing out a warning
I'd sing out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land


Well I've got a hammer
And I've got a bell
And I've got a song to sing
All over this land
It's the hammer of justice
It's the bell of freedom
It's the song about love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

5 comments:

Maverick SM said...

I don't see what's wrong for Tan Sri Tiong to owned Nanyang. Sin Shew Jit Poh had proven that it's reporting had shown reasonable credibility and integrity. Nanyang under Tiong would certainly perform better than under Huaren of MCA. But I would support SB Lau's mission based on his statement of belief and ideology. It's applauding.

Anonymous said...

I can see people in Sibu, Miri will smile from their heart when they read this news.

If Desi and other reader don't know about the chapter in Sarawak, let's make it clear, KTS are Tiong rival.
The whole rival episode can be seen in Peninsular, it is open news(sorry, is no longer secret) that Sinchew trying to sanction Oriental Press by threatening distributor not to carried Oriental alone.

Honestly, I don't bother, because it will make no different to the press freedom.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to spoil your fun Maverick.
Nanyang is actually SNAFU now. If Tiong buy Nanyang(NYSP), it will be the end for NYSP. And not forget NYSP sinking will hurt SCJP readership, since mandarin reading society will associate it with Tiong monopoly. Do take note that the Chinese society currently are not happy with the keris playing saga and the way Chinese media downplay the issue.

Since MCA heavily associate with Tiong, NYSP will never sold to KTS. So Lau is merely taking the opportunity to tease Tiong. I can assure you, Lau offering will be downplay in SJCP (and I am not surprise the news never see the day light in SCJP).

chong y l said...

mave sm:

No, basically there's nothing wrong with Tion buying into Nanyang , it's better than a politically-owned company like Huaren to control the newspaper. But still the problem on a nigh-monopolistic situation in Chinese media ownership has arisen -- and the new interested party has come up with a genuinely "compromise" offer that's fair and appealing to most poarties involved. Especially too to the cuase of media freedom and a more acountable and transparent majority owner dedicated to the Chinese media and culture.

At the end of the day, the test of the pudding is in its eating. We'll wait and SEE, with both eyes wide open.

chong y l said...

moo_t: Thanks for your "insider" input from Sarawak perspective. But I beg to disagree with your concluding "Honestly, I don't bother, because it will make no different to the press freedom.
"

If Lau went ahead to control Nanyang, he had a great responsibility to fulfill his stated pledge and mission. He cannot afford to "fail" -- it maketh a BIG difference to Chinese media survival and in the longer term, flourishing if in the "right" pilot's hands.