My Anthem

Sunday, August 27, 2006

My Merrdeka Wish for NegaraKu: AM

AM was taught us in the primary schooldays as abbreviation for anti meridien. In ordinary language usage, it stands for the period when the night -- representing darkness or lack of light or ignorance -- passes into the daylight hours when the sun brings much light, dispersing the darkness, and shedding information and knowledge.

This AM is a good metaphor to visualise the next Guest Blogger, Anak Merdeka, whose very name beholds her participation in this special National Day Project. Her close buddies call her AMoi too, and I believe hailing from Furong like this hoRst does, AM enjoys Siew Pau, Hakka Mee and Ngau Nam fun. If you aren't sure how they taste like, seek out her hospitality, which is safely assumed here! Asuured that Desi will serve piping hot tehtarik and if he can find fresh Coffee beans, would offer that latest option too. Please bring your own sugar!

The one-year-old hoRst @anakmerdeka.blogspot.com, who must hence call Desi ko-ko -- not that drinkable type! as I'm ahead by s'x months, came highly recommended by *Maverick SM, who came highly recommended by *Howsy, and soon I realise they do have a common Agenda. When fancy strikes 'em, the trio signals Come'on to Desi to become their Reluctant D*Art.

I'm honoured to be a fellow Furonglang to AM because her writes show so much spunk and spirit, the good kind. If Malaysia can culture more such personalities, soon enough NegaraKu would join the ranks of countries featuring a woman Prime Minister, I hope before we reach the mid-21st century mark.

If I had to choose a debating team member, I'd rather have Anak Merdeka on my side than her being comrade to the other two *Musks.I apologise to some ER if I'm indulging in some DDC; it's good to workthe brains a little so that Malaysian brains won't become th top choice for potential brain transplant seeds, as one local Universiti did once hold that distinction.

I welcome Anak Merdeka's reflection on several key issues our NegaraKu must face with daring and care. I urge my EsteemedReaders to engage this spirited Malaysian to show her she's not alone in her quest for a peaceful and progressive Malaysia.


Guest Blogger: ANAK MERDEKA

Happy Merdeka, Happy 1st Anniversary

One year.

Here I am talking about the upcoming "Hari Kemerdekaan ke-49" celebrations
on 31 August 2006.

Oh, before I go on, happy 1st anniversary to myself on
anakmerdeka.blogspot.com!
I finally made it - crossed the first year hurdle despite some apprehension
and doubt about whether I want to continue putting in time and effort to
maintain this self-serving rant-filled platform.

Looks like I still got some steam to let off before I call it a day. :-)

Coming back to this topic, I am rather ambivalent about my feelings towards this 49th Merdeka. I guess I'm feeling this way because I don't see the
country moving forward in any meaningful way in terms of how we are progressing as a multi-racial, multi-religious and multi-cultural society.


The past year has seen an attempt to disengage noble efforts to create the
space for meaningful dialogue and understanding between Muslims and
non-Muslims in a non-confrontational manner in this blessed country.

Looks like we are still unable to break down barriers formed by a stubborn
section of our society bent on maintaining certain status quo. I can only
presume that the fear to engage stems from the misguided notion that it
would invariably erode their current status of having the "upper hand" in
playing the religious card whenever the need arises during times of
political upheaval.

Sisters in Islam wrote a succinct letter published in The SUN on 16 August 2006 (@ p18):-

~~~~~~~~

Don't suppress dialogue

SISTERS in Islam regrets that the organisers of the
5th International Malaysian Studies Conference held at
UPM recently felt pressured to cancel the panel on
Religion, Interfaith and National Unity.

We share Prof. Datuk Abdul Rahman Embong, President
of the Malaysian Social Science Association (PSSM)'s
valid concern that certain developments of late are
taking a toll on academic freedom, and have grave
implications on the free flow of ideas and academic
discourses.


This emerging trend in suppressing the right to
openly discuss matters concerning the public is
disheartening, especially as it is being imposed on
those who are merely peacefully practising their
constitutional rights - freedom of speech, assembly
and association (Article 10) and freedom of religion
(Article 11). This is in contrast to the continued,
unfettered dissemination of wrongful information
and malicious rumours, as well as the formation of
groups by those who intend to silence such open
discussions."


~~~~~~~

There's not much anyone can do about this without serious political will
from those who wield the power to look beyond the selfish motives of a few
who are too short-sighted to see further into the future for the common good
of all.

These people fail to realise the need to discard certain mentalities in order to survive in an increasingly modern and technologically-advanced world that simply would not respect narrow-minded agendas.

I have a thought: is it conceivable that in the year 2020, Malaysia can
still practise open discrimination in the form of race-based quotas and
privileges without being seen as political and social pariahs in the eyes of
the world community?


That's another mere 14 years to go, during which time, we will probably see advances in science & technology making giant leaps forward, while we are still stuck in some black & white cinematic mode.

I'm going to forget about how I feel on this day because someone might just
accuse me of harping on eternally unpatriotic feelings whenever the subject
of unity in the context of Bangsa Malaysia crops up.

***Regardless of what the Information Minister says, I'd like to believe that it is precisely my love for this country and my patriotism that inspired me to start this blog and drives me to continue writing even though I sometimes get a bit sick and tired of local goings-on. The time spent updating my blog is more meaningful to me as a Malaysian than mere waving of the Jalur Gemilang once a year.> ****


And before I forget, thanks to KJ (Khairy Jamakuddin, UMNO Youth deputy chief) for the timely Merdeka reminder - racism is thriving under the Youth banner. I can expect to continue with my forced patriotic duty as the bogeyman for the survival of UMNO. Just don't expect me to die for your cause, if that's not asking too much.

There I go again. Selamat Hari Kemerdekaan ke-49 to
all my fellow Malaysian bloggers & readers.
I wish you peace and happiness until we celebrate our
50th milestone next year.


And err ... I'll wave the flag here, and hope Zam appreciates it!>


DESIDERATA:

Firstly, let's us wish this vocal and focused Anak Merdeka ::Happy First Anniversary::, and Many Happy Returns!.

Curious about her birthday -- Sorry, a slip here, her Blog's birthday, I peeped at the Post relevant to the budding. I reprise one point about "Patriotism" that AMoi wrote on that happy September morn, an inevitable topic bandied about in silly fashion by many UMNO leaders whenever the country's birthday anniversary approaches. ~~


Why the need to show proof (of one's patriotism)? I guess it is because year in and year out, we have a Minister of Information who had to scold and chide the public for not displaying our Jalur Gemilang in our houses, cars, offices, what nots. Seems to me that, just as it is with our society which paid great value on appearances as proof of your religious and moral convictions, the same goes to our BIG BROTHER that you are less patriotic if you do not fly the national flag come Merdeka Day. Never mind that some of the biggest flag fliers are tax defaulters, corruptors, racists, etc. There I go again.

I would like to believe that we are all loyal patriotic citizens who would do anything to ensure that Malaysia remains a peaceful and stable country. The most obvious proof is in the results of each General Election. Much as we dislike some of our politicians who contribute nothing to the betterment of our society other than remaining loud mouthpieces of their political masters who aim to secure their grip on the country by playing THE winning racial card all the time, we continue to vote them in each time.

Does this not at least score us some brownie points where patriotism is concerned?
How much more patriotic can we be when we continue to elect you guys who demean and humiliate us with kris and various racist agendas?
All we want to do is to live peacefully in our country of birth, that is why we are not rocking the boat just yet.

Yes, I also guess that the same old threats of May 13 each general election season does work wonders in sending shivers down our spine too."



***“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” ~~ Mark Twain (American Humorist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)****

8 comments:

John Lee said...

Until the social contract is abolished, no merdeka can truly be a happy or Malaysian one. The social contract is just used to browbeat Malaysians instead of uplift them. As Lim Keng Yaik said last year, "How do you expect non-Malays to pour their hearts and souls into the country, and to one day die for it if you keep harping on this? Flag-waving and singing the 'Negaraku' are rituals, while true love for the nation lies in the heart."

Arena Green said...

Thanks Desi for the flattering words. *blush blush* I'm humbled.

Howsy said...

Nice one, AM! Wishing you an early Happy 1st Birthday to Frus and Fuss too! Don't frus to much though!

Helen said...

Good post. Johnleemk said it well. :-)

PS: Desi, how's your Merdeka puisi?

chong y l said...

johnleemk:

I'd temper your call to "re-visiting" the Social Contract in order not to cause alarm -- as "we can't throw the Baby out of the window with the bath water".

Quoting Lim Keng Yaik of Gerakan which is an BN component shows that mainly Penang-based party has failed all these years to "reform BN from within" -- its rationale for marching into the Bn while being elected on an Opposition ticket. WWe know the main motivation is to "maintain the CMship of Penang within Gerakan smallish and infant bosom then", ain't Desi right, Y&A john?

We'll hear more from John, I assure you, and NegaraKu will go far to retain young talents like this one -- but the lure of more appreciative fields calls...? I dunno, can't tell the future; can only pray allowed that it "won't" happen though our gonmen is wont to allow such sad events happen yaer-in, year-out. I.S.A:...

chong y l said...

anak merdeka:

I'm NOT all altruistic: the praises spring forth because the recipient deserves IT -- and added to the burden is IF our Blogger mates descend on Furong, you as hoRst know what to do, staring with Seremban Siew Pau-pau...:)

chong y l said...

howsy:

This matey based in London always goads Desi -- hey, where is my choice Kambiong wella done? My piping hot tehtarik is raedy; also aromatic coffeee topped with rose-cinoserie is on standby!:):)

PS: Thanks for Miss-leading me to Mave's library and Anak M's kitchen--gives me lots of work! ...I await invite to Nicole's chamber.:(

chong y l said...

helen:

after converting thee to try Bardist lines (in BM too!), brudder Mave serves up a 49-liner; adjourn to latest Essay offering the cruise on MOnday morn, not so Bluesey or dark as The Maverick always brings on the sunshine...Desi serves the bread and butter...ing UP sisdar Anak M too. Howsy just oput up "Do Not Disturb" sign. Some ipohlang are not as sporting as helen mui-mui, now where's the Pastry? I've been long-ing for all wickedend?:)