My Anthem

Monday, August 28, 2006

My Merdeka Wish for NegaraKu: The Maverick

mav·er·ick (mvr-k, mvrk)
n.
1. An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.
2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.
adj.
Being independent in thought and action or exhibiting such independence: maverick politicians; a maverick decision.

From TheFreeDictionary



Member of Parmiament for Johor Baru Sharir Samad has built a reputation for himself by standing out among what many of my Blogger friends have derisively named the Monkey crowd by truly speaking out the constituents' interests and aspirations. Few Malaysians would forget his lonely battle to cross Barisan Nasional line in Parliament to put aside his partisan flag to support an Opposition Motion in what he personally believed as national interest deserving to transcend UMNO line. For that he paid a price, losing the BBC shair, but forever, he stamped a mark for himself, with many calling him a Maverick.

Today's Guest sharing the Third of Merdeka Essays in my humble abode is a lecturer by profession -- soon to be a lawyer too -- and believe me, my reading is that if he maintains his focus and mission to carve a Malaysia for all Malaysians to be proud of, Desi will stand proud to declare he will be among the pioneers our Blog community to join the ranks where Sharir today sits. Or stands tall. At that august House called The Malaysian Parliament, housing the Second Estate (Ledgislature) very much in need of spirited Malaysians like Mave. He taught me about THE OLIGARCHY @maverickysm.blogspot.com.


Guest Blogger: Maverick SM

Poem of Merdeka

Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdeka!
This is shout of Independence,
from a multi community of interdependence.

49 years of Independence we look back and forth,
hoping to discover the purpose henceforth.
While we called ourselves Malaysians,
while we despair of not achieving a Malaysia for Malaysians,
while we're still being labeled by individual races instead of monolithic Malaysians,
we look forward towards a Malaysia for all Malaysians.


Fortunately there remains a modicum of intelligence and justice,
that suffice to cure any defaults of the system of injustice,
sufficient to maintain harmony and peace.

We shall remember our forefathers era,
and the shouts of Merdeka, Merdeka, and Merdeka,

to all Malaysians, be ye Maya, Indiana or Cina,
we are Malaysians in recognition of Merdeka.
Desiderata means something desired as essential,
it’s YLChong’s daily Blogging essential,
Desi wants Merdeka poem from Blogger’s with Potential
Mave had to obliged with this 49 rhyming nonsensical
to fulfil the wish of a buddy’s prudential.


49 years of Independence from Colonial masters,
beginning with Alliance rule and having UMNO as the masters,
evolving and maturing into National Front coalition integrators.

49 years and 5 prime ministers later,
having 27 million people altogether,
consisting of various races with differing religious believers,
supposedly progressing towards a common agenda.
But, alas, some prefer their own agenda,
shouting slogans and crying propaganda,
threatening to tear apart the social binder,
causing ripples and unnecessary jitter.


It thus becomes necessary to control the rupture,
to re-knit the social fabric & foster a strong culture,
to enhance co-operation and see the big picture,
so as to build a nation of peace & goodwill gesture.

Once again, we remind the people to work together,
so that we can live and work together,
sharing power means sharing a future together,
without it we will suffer altogether.


Merdeka, Merdeka, Merdeka!
This is shout of Independence,
from a multi community of interdependence.

49 years of Independence we look back and forth,
hoping to discover the purpose henceforth.
While we called ourselves Malaysian,
we have a choice to determine the future of the nation,
let’s not label each other as Chinese, Indian and Malay Malaysian,
we must all look forward towards a Malaysia for all Malaysians.


DESI: I would be failing if I do not say the Desiderata of My Happiness is to receive a fellow Blogger's answer to the call to celebrate NegaraKu's birthday. If we try hard enough, there is always some ray of sunshine coming through the perceived darkness. Not all is doom and gloom , I've often reminded my Y&A blog mates, especially resident abroad, -- because often the battle to overcome adversity and darkness starts with the mind, in very individual, then folows the heart's desire (desideratum) to accomplish for a higher good among fellow men and wommen. Ladies too -- Cos I know Mave and Howsy and Anak Merdeka, who from the Trio, and Desi too, are always genteel men.


I start this week leading to Our Country for All Malaysians' 49th Birthday
dedicating the spirit of

Brothers Four Lyrics -- one bloom of Happiness
for each of the next SE7EN DAYS to all Malaysians, a Daffodil ~~
Symbol of Peace and Purity and Goodwill ~~
regardless of race, colour and creed,
as brother Mave has wished for All.



SE7EN DAFFODILS

I may not have mansion, I haven't any land
Not even a paper dollar to crinkle in my hands
But I can show you morning on a thousand hills
And kiss you and give you
seven daffodils.

I do not have a fortune to buy you pretty things
But I can weave you moonbeams for necklaces and rings
And I can show you morning on a thousand hills
And kiss you and give you seven daffodils.


Oh, seven golden daffodils all shining in the sun
To light our way to evening when our day is done
And I will give music and a crust of bread
And a pillow of piny boughs to rest your head.


A pillow of piny boughs to rest your head...

PS: @2.30PM after re-reading Anak Merdeka's and threaduing with Maverick's lines above, Desi jsut adds the following for discussing~~

"DESI: The last line in the "extract" from Naka Merdeka's essay on Sunday is a perennial chorus used by the ruling coalition government to retain its grip on power NO MATTER WHAT THE COST TO NEGARAKU.
I hope that our individual voices like AM (that morning light that shines) and comrade Mave will add up to a crescendo loud enough to send a message to these "so-called" national leaders TO STOP and PONDER:

Esp to the likes of UMNO Youth leaders who continue to RATIONALISE TILL DOOMSVILLE That's it alright to mave that "Keris" on the PWTC Stage
Is it patriotism to continue to continue the Form of singing NegaraKu the loudest, but in reality at Election time, play the Racist card that tends to tear the fabric of Negara Ku, including the Jalur Gemilang, apart?

Just so that you can remain to wield power, and many under the cover of national service, continue to plunder the nation's coffers... Yes, Hishamuddin Hussein and Khairy Jamaluddin -- and it's NOT acceoptable to peace-loving and rational citizens like Us here at Desi's Place and at other well-meaning Blogs ~~ such thoughts of you 15th century Melaka heroes beating the war-chests nearing 49th Hari Merdeka send shivers down our spine.

14 comments:

Helen said...

Maverick can write poems indeed;
Not only praises but truths and deeds;
Wish I could have that talent
so I dun have to remain silent.

Arena Green said...

Helen, I think you hv talent aplenty & you can write great puisi too - but are you game enough to dip your toes into the boring and sometimes fiery world of socio-politikus topic in your blog?

It's a tiresome topic but addicting when drawn deep into it. I know, coz I'm just as trapped by my delusive thoughts. :-)

I can't help harbouring a tiny hope that somehow our collective voices will one day be loud enough to move some decent folks in our country to do the RIGHT thing for all Malaysians. If I don't believe Merdeka in its truest sense will one day happen, I might as well pack my bags & family & move elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

And we can use to less hero, like K*,*,****,Osama,etc.

Bet not many Malaysian understand Tina Turner "We Don´t Need Another Hero".

Anonymous said...

dearest desi:

your optimism never ceases to amaze me. though i have to agree to disagree.

After all "I disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

so here is a veteran guest blogger, just helping to cheer on the spirit.
yes, we've achieved a lot..

but the question is ' are we continuing to achieve?'
so the question is: what are we going to do about the situation now?

there has been much talk.. but action?
no?

ahhh.. why indulge in such trivial matters.. let's have a drink or two, desi and relive those days when we met in KL :)

chong y l said...

helen:
mave is a modest one until challenged, or maybe that's a trait of maverickysm, playing cowboy Poker (Mel Gibson syle?) when everyone is playing "open pair"?
But lady, thou art a bit of maverickie thyself, penning Puisi Merdeka yang berumba dan berime -- see, Desi's just coined two nu'e Malay words, hope ZAM doesn't come after me. If DBP knocks on my door, I refer them to Helen-DEStroy!!

chong y l said...

anak merdeka is here to bolster the femail brigade - you can always count on her to bring forward the time when NegaraKu gets its first woman prime minister. If Desi's fit&proper, I'd like to be considered for Da Post of Menteri Budaya Malaysiana dan Broga-sfera, tak da lagi insinerator. (I owe Alice wan!:)

chong y l said...

moo_t: I thot I was the Codeine taiko-ko; obviously you're above my rank; I'd try figure THIS one outa!

Tina's not my cupof tea, I like Nicole Kidman's (okay accept Keith te's) coffee too! Hope 3is knot a cloud.

chong y l said...

pavlova's here, FINALely!~~for those NOT in the 'no', she's Sabrina Tan of LOTR terratry who contributed TWO essays last year -- now she only remembers Desi buying those rounds of drinks and forgot what she 'rode.

it's alrite -- we'll try to recall The Good Times cometh December 2006? I feel like inviting Sweets to join us in Those Were The Days...okay, countin' down ...under.:)

And Sabbie, it's not that I'm always Optimistic -- it's the Merdeka Spirits and we must fight for our independence that some robber barons are trying to pillage from us. Some UMNOputras' greed knows no bounds -- I wonder if Khairy&Putera-Puteri hear us?

Helen said...

Sorry Desi, pinjam your place for me to respond to anak merdeka OK? No table charge, right?

Anak merdeka - you asked if I'm game enuff to dip my toes in the world of socio-politikus in my blog? The truth is, nowadays, I am more open about my personal feelings in my blog. I know, I know, if you read my blog, you might say, "what? Ain't this woman open about her feeling enuff already?"

It's actually a no. When I first started blogging, like many new bloggers, I seemed more infatuated with the stats counter than the reason why I started a blog in the first place, to post my thoughts. You can say at one point, I became a slave to my own blog. That is why I stopped a whileback and asked myself, "was it worth it?"
Now, If I feel something is on my mind, I will post it. Politik or non-politik. :-)I used to worry too much becos my blog kaki do not like talking politik. But, it's a free world. It's my blog, and I owe it to myself to be able to say what I want to say.:-)

chong y l said...

helen: You tak pinjam platfom ii -- bab Anak M adalah CO-hoRst, fellow Furonglang ni boleh Hop, Step and Jump, feel free. No serbis caj! ExXcept for Black Coffee or eeehPOH cafe!


I'm glad to hear about your Blog journey. My experience is that we are influenced, impacted -- for better or worse -- by other Bloggers' write/rites/writHes. It's enriching, just don't drown in the cesspool of UMNO politikus-lah, okay even MCA, MIC and some DAP, PAS and PKR politics too!

ENJOY some puisi, yes, MERDEKA ones like yoyurs and Mave's ; maybe Desi's -- still inQbaiting!:)

And Anak M -- thou art the bigger hoRst -- no caj for riding!:)

chong y l said...

hey, maverick, where art thou?

as co-hoRst, can you ride OUT of the sunset, please!:)

Arena Green said...

Helen, I like yr spunk! That's why yr blog gets all the more interesting these days - you have set yourself free!

Me, I'm like Desi here. If there's still one reader left, I'll take the trouble to pen my thoughts.

Now, don't send me to the corner, ok? Cheers!!

Maverick SM said...

DEsi,

I am indisposed till Merdeka Day!

Just borrowed a syupid TMNET dial-up system to post this.

Let me say, first thing first: Thank You,Helen for the praise...I had never written a poem till Wingz shoot me, and then DEsi, put a gun on me. Do I have talent? Oh,no, pls....I don't think so and I wouldn't bet too. BTW,Helen,when I am back during Merdeka,I will pay visit to your blog and would u mind if I add your blog to my link???

Hi Amoi, I agree that it's tiresome to blog politics and it brought delusion. But I do harbour hope,as you do,that somehow our collective voice will generate greater unity and support for a stronger representation in the Parliament. I am sad to say,MCA had utterly failed the Chinese.... tho'some may disagree.

DEsi,I'll be back, soon...very soon.

Arena Green said...

I do agree with u Mave, MCA has utterly failed the Chinese - again & again.

But then again, they were smart enough not to embarrass us all like someone from Gerakan who appeared in the papers thrusting the keris with Pak Misai. How low can they sink??