My Anthem

Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Merdeka Wish for NegaraKu: Y&A Duo

Last December Desi initiated what became the G7 or G7+ Bloggers Meet, comprising fellow bloggers transcending race, colour or creed, also across gender and age too. those who took the trouble and daring to venture into varying venues in or around B'g, B'd Wolfish Koala Lumpuh, found the meets "awesome", in Kyels' words, and leading them to be Olver or Olivia.

I have had earned most of my B&B in this capital city, but two scores and a-More years on, I still have not fallen in love with it. Good to earn the bucks to keep body kicking, but to feed the soul to feel living and flying, ah, it's a disappointment except for those moments. I advise those aspiring to live long and longing to get the hell outa of KL if you can. If you can't, take up at last one of these two hobbies: Enjoy Poetry, or Get a Hi in Blogging.

Or thirdly, you can resort to just Eat, Drink and Be Merry, according to moo_t. But you have to inherit a Dad like some Minister whose 27-year-old son could be enabled (they would like to tell you it's "enobled") to become a billionaire at 27. Go on thy knees to thank the Almighty, count yourself a special breed. I had no such luck; Desi ain't no walk in such rarefied company.


But I believe I am richer by half, walking with Young&Articulates from the G7 meets, and today Iim proud, as imposed Mentor! to present two of them -- one above age of consent, the other I ain't too cocksure.

Your guess as to who's the lucky one, just Toss a coin. She's studying International Business and Finance at a Sherwood Forest-like campus; he's studying Foundation to Economics-cum-Finance with a minor in Law. I believe the last was an accidental sign-on due to poetic justice or justification ala Max Erring-do, or isIT Daringdo? Never mind, just accept that Desi has a damned blardy role/roll in the throw of the dice. If the prior language is offensive to any ER, please move on to JeffOoi's Screenshots -- he's pressing DELETE more often than normal from Yesterday, all our troubles seemed so faraway...

Can we bow our heads for a one-minute silence to mark a
Dark Day in Malaysian 4th Estate (Media);
Also a Blacker Day for our Potential 5th Estate (Blogosphere)?


Guest Blogger: johnleemk

"I still believe in Malaysia!"


All the other Merdeka essays I have seen to date touch on pessimism for the future of this country, and either explicitly or implicitly refer to certain controversial policies of our government. While I have written more than my fair share of essays on those (indeed, for the second Merdeka running, I have lambasted a particular bastion of these policies on my blog), it is not my intention to contribute to the burgeoning crop of condemnatory and in some rare cases, insulting, pieces of prose in this field.

Rather, permit me to explain why, even at times when I feel there is no hope, I still believe in Malaysia. Why I still believe in being Malaysian. And why, after all we've gone through, some Chinese might say, I still fervently believe in calling myself Malaysian first, rather than Chinese.

I don't believe there's a need to explain the bout of pessimism about Malaysia and its future. It wouldn't be too hard to examine the root causes of this discontent and resentment. Rather, what one ought to be doing is attempting to explain why some who share this same feeling of discontent and resentment still love this country.

As much as I have joined the usually resounding clarion call of voices in the blogosphere denouncing the government's approach to certain fields of its administration, I nevertheless continually find myself in an odd spot amongst them. Even among those I know in real life, pigeon-holing me into one category with others is something that remains hard to do. Unlike many, I have never felt any hate or frustration with this country -- rather, the sole focus of my anger has been the government and those within it.

~~~~~~~
I hail from a rather mixed background. I was born in Japan, to a Chinese Malaysian father and a Filipino mother. I was raised in Singapore, but educated wholly in Malaysia. On my father's part, I have never really managed to empathise with his mixed feelings towards our country. Logically, I understand them, yes, but emotionally, I do not feel them. Nevertheless, we can be broadly painted as moderates - people who do not believe that this country is wholly doomed yet. We are certainly far from Chinese chauvinists, making it hard for us to relate with several stereotypical Chinese grievances such as those related to the (what I will continue to refer to as segregatory) vernacular education stream. And as for my mother, her being non-Malaysian naturally precludes her from holding any strong views about the future of our country.
~~~~~~~

Similarly, amongst my peers -- especially those who were denied scholarships! -- there is a simmering feeling of discontent and frustration at the system. In some cases, this has even translated to a dislike or hatred of the Malays and Muslims. However, having grown up amongst them, I have never shared such feelings -- and this is where my story begins.

Unlike 95% of all Chinese Malaysians, I was educated in a national -- and by national, I do mean national; it was far from a Malay school, thank God
- school. I never knew anything of discrimination or that taboo phrase, "second-class citizen". As far as I was concerned, I was just another nine-year-old grumpily getting on the bus for school with his friends. Until I was about 12 or 13, I did not even know what the word "Bumiputra" meant. Perhaps it shows how insulated I was by my circumstances; I do not know.

Whatever the case, I grew up feeling no reason for anger towards my country or my peers. Even though Islam was often brought up by my Malay friends in ways that could have been construed by some (probably those over-sensitive non-Malays) as incitement, we were very much a united bunch. My memories of primary school consist not of discrimination or frustration. Maybe my school was particularly liberal; I am not sure. They certainly gave one little excuse to argue that meritocracy was not being practiced; I was a member of the entirely non-Bumiputra school team that sent us to the district level Mathematics quiz. (Although in retrospect, they did make sure that the Head Prefect was always a Malay...) Still, if one considers the attitude of national school students and compares it with those from, say, the Chinese education stream, it is clear that one group is more "Malaysian", shall we say, than the other.

In primary school, I still remember, there was no distinction between Malay and non-Malay or Bumiputra and non-Bumiputra. We were all the same, and all treated equally. We took pains to respect one another's background, and we never encountered difficulties accomodating one another. We attended each other's birthday parties, with my parents making sure catered fast food was available for those with particular sensitivities. After school, we'd play football with crushed tin cans, nobody caring what the skin colour of the other bugger was like. We even made fun of those with particularly dark skin -- to us, that was just a physical attribute; race never came into the picture. "What does race have to do with anything?" we'd probably have asked.

After leaving primary school, as one matures, one better understands the way things are. I am sure all of us acutely understand the picture currently -- or at least understand it better than we once did. Nevertheless, we still maintain our practices and habits. I still invite my Malay friends to my birthday celebrations, and they make it a point to attend if possible. I do the same with them. The way you are brought up in primary school is crucial, because in our case, it has made us think like Malaysians, not Malay, Chinese and Indian.

There was a huge brouhaha earlier this year about a survey indicating that a sizeable percentage (I forget the exact amount) of Malaysians have never shared a meal with one of another race. This, my friends, is the legacy of that segregatory school system. This is why I continually and habitually rail against the establishment of vernacular education.

Never had a meal with someone of another race? A mixed group eating, and laughing together -- National school students have been doing that by habit since we can first remember, and it is not a habit that dies easily. Even in college, we think nothing of lepaking or yes, having breakfast or lunch, with those of a different skin pigmentation. It doesn't even come into the picture.

There are very noticeable differences in the behaviour of Chinese-educated and national school-educated students which can last for a lifetime. In secondary school and college, it is not too hard to tell these kinds of people apart. The Chinese-educated generally keep to themselves, while the national school students invariably have their own clique. That is not to say the Chinese-educated do not mix with the non-Chinese-educated; that certainly does happen. However, by inclination, one group is partial to keeping itself racially pure (whether they intend this or not is debateable; it could very well be unconscious), while another has no issues with mixing things up. Even those national school students we regard as racist thumb their nose at the Chinese-educated -- to them, this is another class of racists altogether.

Perhaps I am being too blunt. But whatever the case, it is my feeling that being of a national school background has made a tangible difference in who I am and how I feel today. Maybe this effect on my character was accentuated by my being a tabula rasa - blank slate - seeing as I had no inkling whatsoever of anything being wrong with a "Malaysian Malaysia" (still a taboo phrase for many government leaders). Nevertheless, I notice how I think differently and react differently. Some of these differences are probably attributable to my being completely race-blind at a young age (though I hope I remain race-blind today). But still, many of them, I believe, are rooted in my upbringing as a Malaysian, and not as a Chinese.

Today, my Malay accent is a bit Malay - and I do blush with pride when Malays remark on what they consider the quality of Malay. (To be honest, folks, it's atrocious. I need a dictionary whenever I intend on writing a decent essay in Malay. I'm just good at bahasa pasar.) To me, there is nothing to be ashamed of in knowing Malay, or being proficient in it. It is not the language of one race to me -- it is the language of one nation, and that is the Malaysian nation. My Malay may be atrocious, but I can tell you of the difference between kaum (race) and bangsa (nation).

Bahasa Melayu bukanlah bahasa kaum Melayu; ia merupakan bahasa bangsa Malaysia. Some might take umbrage at me referring to this language as Bahasa Melayu. If so, I apologise. Again, it is my upbringing. But I feel nothing wrong with "calling a spade a spade"; we do not recoil at calling English what it is, do we? After all, it is no longer a white man's language. What something is depends not on what we call it, but what we perceive it as. A rose under any other name would smell as sweet (Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare).

But enough of that digression. Some might think I have been assimilated as a Malay/Muslim (the two are generally synonymous, are they not?). But is this true? My faith in Christianity has never been stronger, I would say. And as for race, I have always been (perhaps rather idealistically) race-blind. I have never really come to think of myself as a Chinese, although if asked for a race, I will continue to habitually speak of myself as Chinese. As far as I'm concerned, I am Malaysian.

One common ground I hear for retaining Chinese education is that it is, well, Chinese education. That it teaches our young to be perceptive of their nature as Chinese. I will have to disagree on this, then. It is my view that what is far more important is to be brought up and educated as a Malaysian. If it means diluting one's Chinese-ness, so be it. I do not intend to pull any punches here. We are Malaysians, not Chinese. That is what must be foremost in our minds, and what must be inculcated in us from young. Our home is not a place where our classmates, colleagues, and friends are practically 100% Chinese. It is not a place where everyone can converse in Mandarin, or where everyone shares the same cultural understanding. The Chinese school is a poor mechanism for preparing our young to live in a heterogenous nation.

And as for diluting one's Chinese identity, I do not put as much stock in that argument as I once did. After all, my girlfriend's identity as Chinese remains strong despite spending her entire life in a convent school instead of a Chinese school, and being educated entirely in Malay. She habitually speaks in Chinese proverbs, and lectures me on the need to be more, well, Chinese. And yet the beauty of it is that our conversations are - what else could they be? - Malaysian. To use a bit of linguistic jargon here, we code-switch between English, Malay, and a variety of Chinese dialects. (Some day, perhaps I shall find an occasion for inserting the one or two words of Tamil I know into a discussion - although I doubt there is a way one could politely utilise my profanity-centred vocabulary.) To us, there is nothing wrong with speaking in bits of English and Malay, with the occasional Chinese idiom.

And this is what gives me hope for the future. That perhaps some day we will all be able to be as unrealistically idealistic as I am, and speak of ourselves as Malaysians. When that day has come, my friends, we shall no longer encounter the need to shelter ourselves in communal schools (be they MARA Junior Science Colleges, or SRJKs), or derogatorise those of another race as kaum pendatang. If Malaysians have decided that we are Malaysians, what can the politicians do? And that is what I hope for Malaysia, this 49th Merdeka of ours.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Bonus Guest: Koi Kye Lee aka Kyels, and she has a distinctive Blog @kyels.com named
Laments of a Broken Hearted Silhouette.

The Silhouette, like Mona Lisa, often maketh Desi pause and wonder and wait,in anticipation, about the mystique. Meanwhile, she sometimes sounds morose and lost, yet other times rise to ecstasy and poetic brilliance, not knowing Des's lapping it all up, shyly peeping through the semi-darkness under the silvery moonlight.

Sometimes I touch gold.



What’s Happening?
Quo Vadis,My Country?

The youths today are vastly different from those of yesteryears. I believe there is this Generation Gap, in Malaysia and other countries -- a common phenomenon.
What we perceive today is almost different from what our forefathers had distinguished. During the olden days, moral values were of supreme importance in daily lives, especially when it comes to older people in the society and in familial ties. Benevolence, respect, empathy, sincerity, honour, sympathy, and more, were the vital traits, and featured prominently when it comes to teaching and raising a child.

But one question I’d like to ask: Do you see in the children today inbibed with those values?

It's not to say that I am very well endowed with such "wonderful" values, but I do have a clear conscience that I try hard to contribute to promoting a civil society.
Let’s take the public transportation scene in Malaysia, for example. How often do you see youngsters getting up and offering their seats to the elderly?

I take the Light Rail Transit (LRT) every day and from what I have observed all this while, I realised that many youths are either ignorant, or they lack certain social values. There was the occasion when I stumbled upon this scenario. The LRT was packed and it so happened I witnessed this episode with my own eyes. One blind man stepped into the train and made his way towards the bar since he could not see any seats and no one took his arm and to guide him to an empty seat. Looking from afar, I saw that a young girl was seated on one of the seats, and I could see her gaze was set upon the blind man. What hit me was: why did she not get up and lead the man to her seat?

I observed for more than three minutes and she was still giving the blind man the same uncaring stare. She was not ready to give her seat up until a good Samaritan told the girl to stand up and let the blind man have the seat. The amazing part was that she was so unwilling to do so, discernible from her facial expression. But she had to -- because a whole load of strangers were looking right into her!

When we see more such scenarios happening, can we figure out that there is something wrong here? Charity begins from home after all. No, I am not judging the credibility of our parents and guardians today, but rather I believe the education system of our dear country has some role to play in bringing about such sad state of affirs.

What do you really see when we talk about the education system here? There might be differuing points of views because we all have our own perspectives. Yes, it is indeed a subjective issue, but certainly begs the question: Does the system serve to ionculcate the social values and graces in tandem with an aspiring developed nation status society?

From what I see, a certain percentage of people no longer care about morality. Many still do, but they do so at a much deteriorating scale as compared with the era of our forefathers. The people today care more about getting straight A’s in Government examinations. Yes, it’s not wrong to aim for good grades but what good does it make when you are a smart person yet you have a very bad personality? Stop and ponder...

What I am trying to point out here is that Malaysian society faces a trend that poses a dilemma: where have the moral values of the society gone to?

My opinion is that the percentage of selfish people is growing higher and higher with every passing day. Selfishness latently runs in our veins, perhaps, but there are times that we have to put that aside and look at things in a wider perspective and to put ourselves in the shoes of others. It would be good if Malaysians start caring about each other, be it the neighbours, or other members of the public, regardless of the differences in skin tones, race or creed. There would be fewer squabbles in the range of the public eye, and it can start with the political parties. We have seen many instances of "hurtful and sensitive remarks" coming off politicians' mouth willy-nilly. My wish is that such incidents would lessen in NegaraKu so that all the races would be able to live in peace and harmony.

Let not unfairness and selfishness rule us all. Differences could be made if all of us are willing to co-operate and walk along hand-in-hand to make Malaysia a better world to live in. After all, we are Malaysians.

I’m not perfect either but at least, my conscience and values are clear cut and I believe in striving towards noble values with enough to go by. I hope fellow Malaysians will strive to build a more considerate and caring society. With this hope I wish all of you, Happy Independence Day."

Merdeka! Merdeka! MERDEKA!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


DESI @9.39AM:
After reading many Merdeka posts and comments that border on pessimism and surrender, it's so uplifting to "see the other side of the
picture" expressed by two Young&Articulates. I've often urged my Y&A like Sabrina that IT'S NOT ALL GLOOM and DOOM! And johnleemk's and kyels' perspectives give grounds for optimism.

And their sharing of their "personal" stations is
precisely what I wish for, especuially from the
YoungOnes, in this Series -- perspectives from a
generation whose age range matters a great deal
for the future of NegaraKu, not that the elder/older
folks do not play a significant role. We must not,
however, lose sight of the fact all Malaysians
DO DIFFER in our perspectives, as our perceptions
and vantage points are shaded by from where we were,
where we came from -- city, semi-rural, kampong, village --
we are enriched by our diverse backgrounds and cultural roots.


DESI to John ~~ I read from your "hint" you are likely to
proceed to the US for tertiary studies -- Economics/Finance
plus a minor in Law, God-willing. I still use this public
forum to urge my Young Mentee (sometimes turns Mentor) that
you should turn Law into the major. Come home on graduation
to play a more significant role in the politics of NegaraKu,
and enrich the Malaysiana landscape and journey. And also
help write The Malaysian Story.

DESI to kyels
~~ Continue thy poetic laments, and I will
seek solace and meaning in the mystique. But I will
sometimes intercept to mend a li'l that broken-hearted
Silhouette, can I?

It's more on young shoulders like yours -- johnleemk, and kyels,
and Sabrina, Imran Ahmad and Primrose, that the future of
Malaysia depends very much on, transforming it into a truly
united nation where most of its citizens
Rise Above Colour, Race and Creed,
and Across Gender and Age barriers too.


PS: This hoRst shall neigh the Essay Series finale IF
he has strength and energy left to make across those 49 liners.
Meanwhile, Strive To Be Happy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with John's article. It's just so true.

(:

And Desi, yes, you can definitely intercept. After all, you're my Mentor.

By the way, I'm doing Computer Science and Management Studies, not IB (International Business). Heh!

Happy Independence Day to you!

*clinking of teh tarik kurang manis glasses*

Anonymous said...

Well, I do applaud the young-er ones' optimism. :)

I have lost my optimism, perhaps with each passing day when I see what happens in the country where I reside, comparing to the jokes back home, I can't help but shake my head.
I then continue to lose spirit.
After all, 365 x 6 days are a lot of days to consider..

So I have lost my cause of fight.

Can only hope the others can make a difference in other ways..
:)
Happy Merdeka

JOEPSC said...

Assimilation of people from various cultures would take long time, requiring strong political will, and even then, there is no guarantee of complete harmony. Just have to look around the world - when the crunch comes or when times are bad, the break line is almost always along ethnic/tribal divide.

So it is critical to understand the importance of social harmony, and to work against those forces that seek to divide and rule - not just within the country, but in the whole region as well.

All the best to your Merdeka wishes, and Happy Merdeka to you and your fellow countrymen.

John Lee said...

Desi, you are far from being the only person who has told me to take up law - apparently I've displayed an aptitude for it (although I think you're one of the few who expects me to parlay my degree into public policy or politics).

I'm still quite dead set against it, though - the main reason being that a law degree from the United States isn't going to be rather helpful here because of the differences between law in Commonwealth countries and the United States. I'm also not very interested in law, to be frank - I do find it an engaging intellectual exercise, but I can't imagine practicing it.

I used to have dreams of changing the world, or perhaps even Malaysia, but those dreams are by and large gone. Despite my hope for Malaysia, I must say that I don't find it a very well-grounded hope. Perhaps I'm an optimistical cynic, if there is a way such a phrase couldn't be self-contradicting.

Malaysia will always be my country. I'm bound to it emotionally by my past. But I can't say for sure I'd like it to be my home - not when I'm continually considered a penumpang or pendatang asing. If such is the case, I'd rather menumpang elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

IMHO, johnleemk has little exposure over history and various human culture. It is CHEAP and LAME to blame on the vernacular school system.

Vernacular school has it own historical political trail. It is about insecurity about the system. And the history show that politikus do break the rules(including the constitution) which make vernacular crucial to preserve ethnics identities.

Johnleemk should read the Indonesia chapter in 1997(Just 9 years ago), the assimilation does nothing to promote unity in Indonesia, alas, the minority still being slash and burned.

While in 1st World country like Sweden, Finlamd, Norway,etc, minority is given the right to retain their own identities(even in school), they don't need a "unity" slogan for every national day.