My Anthem

Thursday, August 24, 2006

I.S.A. comes in 2 versions

Often I have teased my ER with ending on an I.S.A.
I Say Amen is to close my personal "prayer" that all be well with me, my friends, my country.

On the more serious version, I had written that the Government had used this piece of legislation most times wrongly. The "wrong" target. Meanwhile, the internal security of the nation is compromised, on several fronts. See whether you get the message. If not, then I guess the MSM is justified in treating some of you as kindie...

Today's write is an occasion where both versions of ISA apply.

Yesterday's Post on Worrying Trend3 did not spell out explicitly what the trend was. I say it now -- The worry is about the increasing violence in this country, both in incidence and in magnitude, and penetrating even to least expected areans -- threatening a lawyer no less, to 'take his life'!

Many fellow Malaysians are voicing the fear of venturing out into the street at the capital cities/towns at night. Whether in Kuala Lumpur, or Seremban, or Georgetown, or Johor Baru. Sibu or Kota Kinabalu. Robbers would kill just for a few hundred bucks, or at the slighest sign of resistance. Snatch thefts turning into manslaughter. Hit-and-run accidental deaths, and certain parties want to emrace Mat Rempit as "Cemerlang" products. I wrote about "Angelising Demons, Is It Possible?"

Is our Government so out of touch with the pulse of the nation and its people that they don't see the woes of the Rakyat on the ground. Are these leaders cursed with eyes that do not, or would not, see?

I often do not treat my readers as what most MSM (according to fellow blogger Howsy, MSM ismainstream media)sometimes do -- treat their readers as if they were kindie kids. well, even the MB of the most developed State in NegaraKu does it often enought, so is it surprising?

So boys and girls, turn to page 12 of theSun, August 24, 2006:

Suhakam: Probe Sabah
populatiion boom


KUALA LUMPUR: The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia
(Suhakam) called on the government yesterday to investigate Sabah's 362%
population rise, compared with Sarawak, since 1970.

Suhakam believes the extraordinary increase in bumiputera citizens the
past 30 years was the cause of the population boom.

At a press briefing on a half-day roundtable on "Human rights and citizenship ­ its impact on economic, social and cultural rights" held in Kota Kinabalu on July 31, Suhakam commissioner Datuk Choo Siew Kioh said:

"If the problem of foreign immigrants is not investigated and timely addressed from at least the human rights perspective, serious cultural and religious conflicts may arise in the state, with repercussions in peninsular states.

"Allegations that non-citizens could easily obtain Malaysian identity cards with false statutory declarations should be investigated."

Choo said prolonged delay in resolving the problems may affect adversely the civil and political rights as well as economic, social and cultural rights of genuine citizens of Sabah.

He said the roundtable provided an excellent opportunity for the National Registration Department state director and state immigration director to clarify government policies and provide answers.

"Despite the ample notice given to them to present papers, it is disappointing that they chose to shun us," he said.

Another Suhakam commissioner, Datuk Dr Denison Jayasooria, said "we are finalising a report to be submitted to the Home Ministry before the end of September".

Desiderata:
Is this a case of some parties in NegaraKu selling out Malaysia's sovereignty?

Desi, as an ordinary warganegara, sees it his duty to ask some pertinent questions.
My credo of patriotic feelings for my homeland -- my birthplace, my beloved land where I'll live and soon enough, die in one day not too soon -- is expressed via Mark Twain's advocation:

"PATRIOTISM is supporting your country all the time, and the Government when it deserves it."

Dear Anak Merdeka, for thy Essay received with pride this morning, I wave thee my "imaginary" flag of patriotism. Many don't need eyes to be able to see -- it's that blessed thing called "with the heart". Terima kasih, fellow country lady.

To other ER/mGf, just update that I'm flagging off the Merdeka Day Essay Series from tomorrow with a Flashback to 2005's inaugural attempt, followed on Saturday with
AllOfHelen's happy recollections; and Anak Merdeka's Sunday reflection in place of Desi's normal Inter:Lude. Others who have touched base are Howsy and Xpyred; I know a few others dare out openly commit but still having mixed feelings about penning down their thoughts. Hey, even "mixed" sentiments about our Natuional Day are okay. Life's not all a bed of roses.

Welcome thee and "My Merdeka Wish for NegaraKu"
with tehtarik, plus Miss Sunthi,
I have added on Coffee as another optional offering,
Black, White or topped with Rose-cinoserie
...oso cun.

11 comments:

Helen said...

This year has to be the most un-Merdeka Merdeka in 49 years.

Gosh, nothing is uplifting in the MSM.... I've resorted to tabloid sites. lol

Arena Green said...

I agree with sister Helen. I ain't got no upbeat Merdeka mood either - it's worse than last year!

I'm glad u appreciate my rush job, Desi. A small effort for a big guy. Cheers!

Maverick SM said...

DEsi,

I am not sure what is wrong. Maybe, you go to my blog, click your blog link at my sidebar and see whether u will be uploaded to the latest posting. I click and I was uploaded to 2nd August and 2nd time I click, it is 16th August. Then, I click you archive on August and only did I get here.

desiderata2000.blogspot.com

Maverick SM said...

DEsi, click the link at the earlier comment above and see if it will lead u to 16th August. I tried and it is...

chong y l said...

Jumping q over helen and anak M ~~ "WELcome back, Mave SM" ~~ I thought you were sending mystery Comments from Planet Mars. NegaraKu is still UNDER-populated you know, don't DESERT us poor bloggers!:(

I thought you were pulling my kaki -- which are rather weak nowadays! -- when your strange Comments didn't appear over my COMMENT channels =-- going back to Aug 2? I wished we can go back 20 years!

Hope this X-file does not repeat altho I ENJOY code-ine, but this is UP Mulder & Scully (?) alley...:)

PS: If others know not what this is about, it's between TWO BROTHERS!:)

chong y l said...

Okay doc(k)s Helen and Anak M:


Most "un-Merdeka" in 49 years, IpohLang?

"Tabloid" sites -- pls educate this ignoramus! I know what a tabloid paper is -- like page 3 gal for TheSun in UK. Sites? page 3 "men"? Helen, be carrefool, thy church pastor may just send thee to that korner again, draped in Jalur Gemilalang!:(

Anak M; Me "big" guy eh? When Zam shoots his mesingan, you and helen won't get "hit" on First round eh?
I'm a Chong, NOT a gan! ...
wave in zammy direction ~~~ a mini jalur gemilalalang!:( ~~~~

chong y l said...

mave:

Did as instructed -- went to your blog, clicked on "desiderata" at sidebar, links back to today's (asug 24) post!:)
I think the double hungry ghosts are hanting mave sm's site -- now seek helen jie-jie's help to replace with "tabloid" sites!

LOL! --just learnt yesterday at mGf yantouch.wordpress.com that it stands for "Laugh out loud"!
Why you guys/gals/gays never educate Desi wan???

JOEPSC said...

Desi:

Should try using ROTFL or simply ROFL!

Have a good Friday.

chong y l said...

jopepsc:

this Desi's quite LOST in blogspeak; so educate me on ROTFL or simply ROFL!:)

Unless it is proFUNity -- in which case, just hold IT, must get clerance from ZAM's ministerial watchdog... Don't want muy Singa neighbour -- and Desi myself -- dragged for a public flogging -- no, they don't do it here! -- frogging. I can do only about 10 jumps:(, how about you, mGf, a hundred?:)

Have many GOoDdaes ahead, and have a Sundae + CON BF on Desi soon. If you can get that bride by the ridge to join US, I'll maketh IT VELY SOON!:):)

JOEPSC said...

Desi,

ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing

ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing

LMAO = Laugh My A** Off

Have a nice weekend! *LOL*

chong y l said...

joe:

Used to do that -- ROTFL: Rolling On The Floor Laughing -- with my Dog -- i think we called him Nap (short for Napoleon).

LMAU `l` this is not for Desi, only have One precious wan!:)