My Anthem

Thursday, December 22, 2005

This Broken Road

Last was a disturbed night. Earlier, I surfed to keep an eye on some A-Angels -- One Y&A wrote in her Blog (go visit, before she flies away! at http://sabrinawstan.blogsome.com) -- vocally seconded by a "secret" admirer -- okay, not secret, but sincere, johnleemk -- that the Malaysian state of affairs does not 'appear good'. THIS 'sumup' is an understatement, the closer one is "Tis really a hopeless situation".
I ended with an equally downhearted:

"*
at the end of the day, the people get the government they deserve.
As i realise the futility of the political process, the nimcompoop govt we get must have come about from a “majority” of the electors who have been every 4 years putting the cross against the Dacing — these put have lost their right to complain. AS for those who supported the Opposition, the “idiotic” Oppo leaders have been taking people for granted, or a ride — with each chief quite happy with the niche “kingdoms” they have carved up for themselves.

Sad to report, dear mGf from Blogworld, Desi sees “no solution” in the near horizon — Quo Vadis?


my Young&Articulate Ones, the future is in thy hands. Desi can offer more tehtarik and some humour along the five foot way!

Sab: you’re right — Desi has been too Optiimisitic, hence Delusional.
But what choice does this writer have? I am truly concerned and disheartened that my YoungFriends find the scene so dismal and hopeless.
Pak Lah — what art thou doing for the next two years?


Comment by ylchong — December 21, 2005 @ 2:39 pm

The young hostess' reply, from the Horse's mouth:

Desi: sad to say, i too don’t see a future with this place in the meantime. things are getting bleaker by the day, and we don’t know if it’s going to get worse from here.
forming a political party i heard? don’t think it’s feasible.
like i’ve said before, we need connections: and connections lead to corruption.. yadda yadda..

Comment by Sab — December 21, 2005 @ 3:00 pm



Pensive, at dinner I "exchanged" the two topics of Spirit versus Soul and Sabrina's Laments.
I was not surprised that my esteemed coleague said Soul and Spirit are "ome and the same". If was re-assuring to Desi 'cos all alonmg, I said as long as I can seek solace and peace in my Poetry, I am on the right Road. But a more discerning and educated one puts me in restive mood by saying that My Poetry takes careth of my Soul, NOT my Spirit.

My ER, please respond to My Soul Survey so we can later share more "reliable" findings come 2006, an-OR-not? I offer tehtarik, tambah gula also-can-lah!

Back to the nation's State, mGf pointed to the day's news, affirming more or less Sabrina's contention that the picture is indeed, and in deed HOPELESS!Read on...

Some extracts only from...
Wednesday December 21, 2005


RM1.5m paintings hot topic

KUALA LUMPUR: The purchase of three paintings worth RM1.55mil by Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to decorate the chairman's office was to maintain the stature of the place, the Dewan Negara heard yesterday.

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Azlan Sultan Abu Bakar said the money came under MAS' current expenditure.

The paintings were a hot topic among members of the Dewan Negara yesterday, besides the hiring of expatriates on high salaries.

Tengku Azlan also clarified that the salary received by MAS senior general manager Chris Andrews of RM7,525 a day was normal, no different from the pay received by any individual who had held the post in the airline.

“If there are any unsatisfactory answers, please come for a briefing on MAS tonight (yesterday),” he told the senators during his winding up of the debate on the 2006 Budget.
– Bernama

DESIDERATA:
If there was a "Nigerian" headman heading MAS in the past few years, I can undersatnd, (as every other week, for the past year, I have been receiving an email seeking to share USD500million largesse with Desi for just using my Malaysian bank AC to place the idiot's imgained DC (DaCon) riches left by the most corny sounding name like African Lord Rufus the dufus of an Imwauna dynasty persecuted by the present regime...see just arrived sample preceding Post)but ...? WT...okay I put an "H" for Hell not an "F" plus an Ass for ....but that's too complimentrary to these cons at the national airline.

From another The Star update today, page 4:
(Lazy not Ignorant nor insignificant, please get a copy -- don't photostat the extracts please, get Da Orioginal, RM1.20 sahaja!)

Artists in the spotlight

Readers learnt --
Those paitings were from world famous (Desi's: Yeah?) Fernando Botero and Sophia Vari.
Yeah, has the average Malaysian Joe heard of these two guys?
I've had the privilege of helping to organise shows displayiing works by artists like Latiff Mohidin and Syed Jamal (a former National Art Gallery director)-- why could their works promoting Malaysian creatives not be bought. Prices were the most tens of thousand ringgit. Or these Malaysains have no class -- can't raise the carrier's image. Need ball carriers, is it?
Hey, MAS stands for Malaysain Airline System, NOT Colombian or Greek!
And they labelled some others "unpatriotic" like not flying the Jalur Gemilang on August 31!
MAS bought Botero's Still Life With Violin and Still Life With Lobster amd Vari's Coeur de L'Impenetradble at RM1.14million, RM342,000 and RM75,000 respectively.
The Star report even hinted that one of the paintings could even be a "fake", and carried a poser:
Could MAS have settled for prints of these works that are sold much cheaper online?
Frankly, in the first place Desi aks: Why the F.... should a Malaysian iconic company display non-Malaysian works, print of original, maybe fake?

Now you understand a li'l how MAS had entered into the red territory.But there are lots more skeletons in the hangar. Hanger? Boardrooms decorated up to world standards. Like some blogger cracked: Gaya Mau...

Another bailout of several billion ringgit o the KLIA horizon.
Using oil money? OR our -- taxpayers' -- money?
Your guess will be 50% correct either way. They even paid back one smart investor who borrowed some RM1billion to do a NO-RISK business because the giovernment bought back his shares at DOUBLE the market price then. WoW, no wonder we can boast of non-failures among our esteeemed MAS top guns.

And some expatriate -- this Andrews fellane must have MAS/golden cables! --took us on a ride too. This man must have been 1,000 times blessed -- RM7,000 plus for a day's work, maybe woirking the Beatles' Eight Days a Week as an added burden.
I wonder how our esteemed Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abndullah Ahmad Badawi would feel?
Inferiority complex, I presume -- after comparing his church mouse gaji -- like Desi's the stoopid writer, did not go into CONsultancy!, even then not sure it's coming at the end of the 34-day month!

The Malaysian Broken Runway
... Da Road we know by heart already.


Bless The Broken Road

Rascal Flatts Lyrics

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through

I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you


That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.


PS by Desi: God Save Us from Our Leaders,
Political and Corporate.
Amen.
Now I feel my Spirit quieted. The Soul is still wanderin' somewhere.

10 comments:

imran said...

Desi,

The problem here is that people are not really interested in developing the country. They are more interested in developing their bank accounts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Desi,

Allow me to console thee; I'm no sinseh, but hope these little words
can lift your spirit a little (not in a theological sense):

This is, indeed, a broken road
With holes to trap, bends to throw
Life's stroll made hard and slow
Differentiating not, the young from the old
Save for the haves, God bless the rest
Till the future, the ballots to the test

About the purchase of those paintings, are you sure one of them is not a Dorian Gray and the other a Mona Lisa? At least then that will pluck your heart string a little. Seriously, I agree that buying local will give motivation and support to the local artists. On remuneration, they say that if you pay peanuts, you will monkeys! ....waht if you pay with bonds...will you get a James ? Anyway, a million+ Sing$ is OK if the bottom line is as solid as the rock of Peda Branca which sticks quite above the water-level. I wish I was the CONsultant head-hunter; I could have collected my pro com(n)-fee of one month, rite? Anyway, the key word is "commensurability" - it must commensurate with experience and returns.

Time must be very difficult, for many people to come out with so many ideas to rip people off - stories of a fortune locked up somewhere in war torn zones, used to be in Africa, but now you mention Iraq ! Look out also for the "smaller" but numerous CONs trying to sell "peace of mind" or some "cure all" to naive housewives and elderly folks, but nothing more sleek than someone shaking your hand and you willingly part with your purse and all therein.

About Soul and Spirit - are you serious about the survey and sending answers via your email?

chong y l said...

hi yan:

the discerning A-Angel -- not Gabriel or Michael -- this one is very Down-to-Earth, and Desi truns to her for Da Light when in doubt.

Hi, mGf from the neighbourhood of Catsville, have you plucked enuff oranges and apples from Orchard Road -- surely not broke' nyet -- to decorate the CHRISTmas tree?

And did JPsc send some M&M -- since he hates it -- to Desi via your Santarina bag?

Cheers to all, Morale boosters:)

chong y l said...

JPsc:

you've spent lots of time penning the [pome -- thanks with a S-million:) The Ass does nOT stand for Sin(g), tis for smiles, like MSA-SinG gals at one time... Those were the days, mGf!

On the survey, mGf Yan has already taken Desi Very, verily seriously.
She will be Guesting with one standpoint -- more leArned than desi, you can safely (p)resume -- come Saturday, food for thot for weekend, not wickedend for a change for CHRISTmas is the time for some jolly, holly and some Msians and Singas following the Brits over-kissing under the MISStleToes!:)
Do it -- counting those toes -- you don't get it, ask Yan, she asked for it, my oo7:)

chong y l said...

imran:
be crefool, you said it at Desi's, I'm not responsible for 'em using the
I
S
A
on my guests.

I checkled iwth ALL the banks, they denied the existence of these billion-dollar ACs. So how?

Oh, i hear you, the Swiss bakeryshoppe, good for a White Christmas holiday, on Citizens Joe&Jane's ACs!

Seya, bro,
God Save Us
From The Leaders
Political&Corporate!
B
Li'l brudder johnlee is in hiding,
seeking those hidden billion$ in ..."Nigeria" -- CON, cunt or can-ned? My Engrish has fallen into MASs standard -- RM1.5million for three brush strokes.
When my sifu Erring1 hears this, he may just Arise, time isn't it, my XteAmedInterCourser?

Anonymous said...

Hi Desi:

I almost type Yesu, meaning Jesus; the CHRISTmas emotions must be playing in my subconscious this whole week.

Btw, I took your request seriously and sent you my take on the Soul&Spirit thingy via the mail, but not sure it's thru' cos there appeared some 'server error' message. Please let me know (via this column or mail) if you have it at your end, if not, I'll resend.

Now, I'm still a blur(e) king regarding that TOES thing; so, Yan of Catsville, can you please render me some help on account of CHRISTmas ?

Cheers to all

Anonymous said...

haha desi: johnleemk my admirer? haha.. never think that would happen.
he's too focused on other things.. haha..
:)
anywayz.. desi.. no use of feeling sad about the situation in Msia. just accept that this is it. yes, this is IT.
nothing we could do. nothing we could change.
we have fought. and i think hard enough.

chong y l said...

JPsc:

It's in the air -- Christmas is special because it puts all Malaysians in the merry mood, acroos all religious barriers.

FDesi prays it's not going to be too commercial -- at the end of the day, there are folks out there who need a helping hand. The true spirit of the Season is Gifting -- to those in need -- the old and lonly, the orphans and less privileged, and the wanderers of the nite without a home ...
Hence it's a Good Feeklin' on a Friday
to report of Positive News
(mGf Sab advises Desi: be positive, not Optimistic --
There's afune distinction there!)

And JP, thanks for the "soul-searching" piece, but sisdar Yan always comes first ...tis A_Angels never fails, that's why you need to ask here what's this MISStheToes affair about!

si'ning off with
:)0:))0 two snowmen, one fat&one thin and
~:) a sAntarinA.

chong y l said...

hi sab:

hope you are not frequenting THAT RM3.90 warung -- johnlee may just hang out there!
Poor Y&A one, I pulled the T and his leg a li'l and he went into hiding, with a short msg to Desi: you wont hear from me til after Da New Year..no Rationale, No laff, No nutin'.
Wella, john, have fun, butt not too much secretluving!
"They try to tell us we're Too Young..."

Sab: you enjoy the Christmas celeb-wherever you are.
On the political thingy, it's out on the BlackBurner, til l'il johnny comes back, askin for Amoree.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Yan,

Many thanks for the enlightenment and the wonderful mail.

Happy to note that Desi has enlarged his cyber-family from counting by fingers to counting by toes and Christmas time is for him to balance his book by a mistletoe - his yuletide abacus, I'm now told.

May the true spirit of CHRISTmas touches and be with us all.