My Anthem

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

MIS-Stress -- You're Making Me Si(o)ck!

Desi is trying to get out of a woeful mood. Need to de-stress. Need to prevent that migraine from coming on. The rainy season doesn't help.

Then an eye-catching item caught my -- whatelse! -- eyes.

But let me detour a knotty bit.


You know what I've observed -- after wealth and power, the almight man about town would go afetr a MIStress!
THis is not based on any scientific studies findings -- just anecdoctal observation.
What about the females who have acquired power and wealth then?
Do they go after another man -- a MASter, defined as the male counterpart to a MIStress...?

Of course, having a MIS-Stress around thy arms in the right circle is a sort of Badge of having arrived. Yes? (THat's a rhetorical question directed at the right men.) This brings on the Siok feeling.

On being discovered by the wrong party, it brings on the Sick feeling.

Frankly, a caveat (they call it a DISCLAIMER on many Blogs' heads -- that you have the right to log off if you feel what you are reading on MY blog is upsetting your sense of honour or good taste or lack of taste...something along this line-lah.) -- for this morn's rambling -- I'm not responsible for the consequences, I'm just a messenger of what I believe is an eye-opening finding at an Australian institute.

So, to continue...
BUTT having a mis-tress can be very stressful -- as the Almighty Man would tell you -- he has to keep a tight lid on his adventures so that his official wife is always in the dark. Playing cat-and-mouse is fine when you're just four-going-on-five.
But at forty-goin-on-fifty?
That in deed can be very stressful.
So Desi will share a dark "secret" with mGf this Tuesday morn -- not to worry, it's just jest!

If the man about the house shows symptoms of getting a li'l sick, he could be suffering from stress. If it'snot work, not home, then ah ...it could be the Mis-tress!

From the ABC News:

Monday, December 5, 2005. 7:00am (AEDT)

Stress causes sickness: study

A group of Sydney researchers says it has scientifically proven that stress causes sickness.

The Garvan Institute scientists say they have discovered that a hormone, known as neuropeptide Y, is released into the body during times of stress.

One of the researchers, associate Professor Herbert Herzog, says the findings show the hormone can stop the immune system from functioning properly.

"Neuropeptide Y is one of those hormones that gets unregulated or released from neurones when stressful situations occur," he said.

"And it's known for example that it regulates blood pressure and heart rates so your heart rate goes up but it hasn't been known that it actually can affect immune cells as well."

Professor Herzog says it is good to have proof of something people have suspected for so long.

"Now we have proven without doubt that there is a direct link and that stress can weaken the immune system and that makes you more vulnerable when you for example have a cold or flu and even in the more serious situations such as cancer can be enhanced in these situations," he said.

The impact of stress on the body can best be observed in athletes.

PHD researcher at the University of Queensland Luke Spence, together with the Australian Institute of Sport, studied elite and recreational athletes over five months.

They found elite athletes were more susceptible to respiratory diseases.

"A lot of elite athletes put themselves through vast amounts of physical stress in their training, but also their emotional, psychological stress of feeling the pressure of Australia on their shoulders, wanting to compete and wanting to do their best," Mr Spence said.

Mr Spence says the Australian Institute of Sport is now modifying the training of athletes to focus on quality rather than quantity.

But it is not just elite athletes who are prone to stress.

Pressures at work and at home cause emotional and mental stress that can be equally damaging.

Almost a third of all work absenteeism is due to illness, costing employers more than $10 billion a year.

"I think it has a huge impact for the work force and also for employers - if their employees are constantly stressed, constantly under pressure, they are more likely to get sick," Mr Spence said.

This research could lead to the development of a new drug, which may work to inhibit the action of the neuropeptide Y hormone that attacks the immune system.

But Professor Herzog warns people to minimise stress before it becomes a problem.

"Relaxation methods like yoga will help you to prevent that but there will still be people out there that are not responding to that and treatment by interfering with the system will be important," he said.

"There's obviously some time until such a treatment will be available but this is something we will definitely work towards."

PS: Desiderata's theory by extrapolation about the wayward -- or isit wayforward? -- husbands is pending scientific confirmation. He and a group of like-minded curiousers are inviting confessed men with misTRESS cum Sickness syndrome to take part in a survey: email ........ better not go public with this. You know where to meet me, Haridas tehtarik stall, no fail attendance Saturday from 8-11pm. If you don't know what this place is, ask the citizens of FuRong, an hour's drive from the big, bad wolfish city of Koalu lumpur, where all these almight men with chest problems normally dwell or have their nests. Very stressfool staying in KL... hence I don't like to linger here except to cari-cari makan. The straight one.

10 comments:

dreameridiot said...

I read a NY Times report that discusses a tenuous link between stress and cancer, although no sicnetifc and concusive evidencce can be found in the relationshi between the two. I, however, belve there is a link, along with diet, environment and genes in a complex combination that later triggers the cells to go berserk mode of overproduction.

Get well soon.

PS. strangely, not much rain in my place where the heavy monsson should be.

Anonymous said...

Hey Desi, I know not where to begin. You said so many things - about MIS-Stress, about Si(o)ck, about tehtarik......

But I must agree with(out) you that STRESS is the all(y) BEGINNING of our woes and DISTRESS and also the all(y) ENDING of our MIS-ERIES. Physical stress is relatively a non-problem compared to emotional/mental stress which, to me, is like my daily companion. Everyday we meet stress in all facets of our lives, irespective of who or what we are - human, inhuman or even sub-human (animals can feel stress too !).

IMHO, only if we can rise above our human 'state of mind' and remain so for indefinite period of time, we are not going to win the fight against stress. But by adotpting some buddhist's teachings about "not getting involved with earthly concerns" (btw, I'm not buddhist), can surely help to de-stress our state of mind - that means saying "I don't care" to everything that comes our way. Of course, medications will help, but when one reaches the state of DEPRESSION and beyond... tendencies may become suicidal ??

Humour too is therapeutic and that is why I find your site sooo interesting !!! Hey, is that si(o)ck ? Too much tehtarik will also cause migraine just as light emission from your monitor screen. I would hide in my dark room filled with complete silence, like a bat does, for a day or so to get those painful throbs out of my head. As for the rich and mighty females, they can find their MISTRE-(A)SS to apply tender massages for reliefs.

Where is "Haridas" in Koala Lumpur ? I have lost touch - the last time I was there was about 10 years ago, and the first time I was there, I lived in a wonderful place called "Blue Boy Mansions" in Bukit Bintang, near the Pudu Prison. Desi(re), Is it still there ???

chong y l said...

hi dreamer i.
i guess there is a link between Stress and whatever AILS the human condition; so it's not a surprise if that link -- however remote of faint, is estalbished betwen big-C and stress.
i refer to PJ esp Subang Jaya the last few days -- it's been raining several housr a day -- it's go -- maybe douse rising "humna temperatures" a li'l so we have less road rage, and foul tempers assocaiated with big, bad cities like KL .. lesser extent PJ. Am I extrapolating tenuous links between the weather nad all these negative human tendencies?

so dreamer, consider yourself lucky altho i hope the monsoon doesn't result in "flooding" at thy place. Sorry I ain;t good friend of Onassis, or I'd despatch a ship over to help! (Maybe a beaut HELEN resides in thy neighbourhood who can launch wat 1,000 sampans...!

Pardon me if sumtimes I take my rumour a bit deep -- my cuop runneth over....

Goodie...mate.:) (THe Oz influence came about from my days working some 13 years with AHC; then reinforced by sweetspirits from DU who often sends cyber luv messages to dear Malaysians .. our image despite sin's and mal's hangin' of drug-runners is still okay, I gas!

chong y l said...

jpsc:


you're getting used to my r(H)umouring...which is Gooda, becos Life is so serious nowadays we really need to lo-o-s-e-n, even when trying to be millionaire-by-27, rite?
Desi de-streeses with wordplay, music (the beetles, Biggies, wathaveyou ...altho latest fav is FaithHill, steal envying her significant Other Tim McGrowl, in a nice way! ...:)

Hey, you spoil my die with this putdown on my tehtarik! I take it KURANG2 MANIS except when the gals are around! Then you have to add sugar -- everythin beautiful&nice goes with the stronger s'x! You agree?
hey thanks for compliment that you find my site humourous -- myGOODfriend (mGf for short...) I'lll give you the map to Haridas -- and don't travel to Subang Jaya where I moonlight for a living.
The merriment is in FuRong, capida of NS (it's mala for 9states, not National Servis!) ... first go look for KFC along Jalan Tem,pler, yes, named after that Brit Resident ... we're not so extremist removing all those colonioal names from our road signs Nyet!
You see the Gerakan Hq (no, I'm not a member...they move in name only, but stay ossified until challenged to a fight by MCA...big brother junior to biggest UMNO bully...Sorry, I truly DIGRESSED/trangressed this time...)

Walk across the road, turn left for 10 metres, HARIDAS will be bee-sy pulling his T (not the shirt, the watery1) from 7.30pm till well past midnite Mon till Saturday. If I did not showe on Sat'day nites, I must have fallen into da wells of stress... blame in on that hormone factor!

JPSC, in all honest IMHO, this has been a shiny afternnon chatting with thee, and dreamer i, altyho again I hear thunder outside my windwo as I "stole" on office time replying to thy duo's humourings.

In thou art haeded FuRong way, give me sufficient notice -- I'd also make sure Hari-hari does his fave Nazi Lemak with Telor Buffalo-I plus the besta curry kambing in the hole of Seremban, maybe even all of Neger9!:)

Two tehtariks to dreamer and JP (are you sure THIS is authentic1or0?)-SC...I ne'er heard our Bursa giving out such licences!

chong y l said...

jpsc:

UPdate on blue boys' mansion -- as far as Desi(ree) goes - its a historic past connected with yes, MISStresses and Almighy Men! Now it's more down memory lane for the survivors (Desi is NOT one, otherWISE,would have burnt out long ago! Yes, those thype of stresses take away a man's lifespan, adds on to the mistress's ... balance, yin and yang I learn....God on earth is very fair... Thank God, I still have this Blogging fire.

BTW, RoseChan;s games jollu joint is now starry-BintangWalk tehtarik jhere is RM8, bvut walk over to Jln ASlor 10 minutes, is available at FuRong's rate plus 20sen.Just bring RM2 for you and me will do-lah! Yum sin! Cheerz!:):)

Anonymous said...

Hey Desi:

Many thanks for your update. "Blue Boys' Mansion" brings back many fond memories. I lived there for a while, sometime in 1968/9 with an uncle who was then working for AP in admin, while I was attached on an orientation programme with a British plant in PJ.

You mentioned 'RoseChan', I was wondering if the name conjures the same essence (not essence of chicken) to you as to me. 'RoseChan' was a celebrtity in the 50's and 60's - the undisputed 'Queen' on strip-tease stage. Mayhap the thing she 'tarik' might be your zipper !!

My initials are truly authentic - J being my christian name and PSC my chinese name. In mandarin, my surname is Fang - I'm the 18th descendant of 'Fong Sai Yuk" Haha.

Tehtarik + extra sugar to you !

chong y l said...

hey jpsc:

orientation with british palnt eh
grew any trees with medical breakthru leaves to de-stress?
that's desi's yen...
or di-toxofication
Read mGf yan's entry to fulfil her yen...

if you come by KL/PJ way
we'll take a trip down rose chan's
cobble-stoned walk
but blueboys' mansion has put on a rundown front
fighting wasted ways of men, fighting time

Come visit before it's buried
along with that Green, Gren Grass of Home
they call Pudu Prison now turned museum
We''ll steal a cuppa odf tehtarik plus lembu susu JAlor style
beaten by mGf Haridas', by many a mile

chong y l said...

yan:

i give my wordsmith's word -- no, i don't have a gypsy's crystal ball!

I'lll have to think deep into my subconscious, give thee an ANSwer
at dawn on WedNurseDay day,
when many lost and stressed souls like Desi need lots of nursing :)
-- may join thee in di-toxification program2!:(

PS: I sought jpsc' s help, let's 4 how he responds -- neighbourly threads.:):)

Anonymous said...

Desi:

I wish it was that plant - sorry lah, I barked up the wrong TREE - otherWISE I could have been a TCM (traditional chinese medicine) sinseh.

As for yan's story, it sounds familiar(L) and I too would have felt some stress. But, IRONicALLY
she was able to consume that much - sanwiches, tea, pie and cake - when stress would usually cause poor apPETITE. Has detoxification anything to do with stress - I don't know, but I know some people go for that which can be quite SCARy and dangerous - imagine stripping the internal linings of our intestines !! I read somewhere CarolCheng of HongKong favoured it - it was said to make one looks younger ??

Peace out.

PS: A poem on Stress by William Goldsmith, MD :


A definition, friends, of stress:
Your own reaction to a mess
Stresses may be large or small
Sometimes they're not perceived at all
Examples: Say a lack of cash;
A just-avoided freeway crash;
An allergen that's in the air;
The barber says you're losing hair;
Fifty on a spavined horse;
Attorney's letter re divorce;
Wetness, dryness, heat or cold;
Callow youth or getting old
Stress from pains to pleasures range
The common element is change
Adapt or die, and that's a fact
And so our bodies must react:
The heart speeds up, the gut slows down
Facial muscles snarl or frown
Bronchial tubes expand and then
The blood absorbs more oxygen
Widened pupils search the void
Adrenal glands secrete steroid
Serum glucose starts to climb
More insulin works overtime
Stressed physically or mentally
Muscles tense to fight or flee
The midbrain boils with rage and fear
While cortex plans to save your rear
The point is, stress is not unique
It doesn't mean you're dumb or weak
A part of mankind's constitution
Bequeathed to us by evolution
Common both to man and beast
It proves you're still alive, at least.

chong y l said...

yan:

THANKS for transPLANTing the T party from Boston to Desi's Place,
surely thou APpreciate, like jpsc,
the never ending flow of
Haridas' piping hot tehtarik
So uplifting on these Cloudy Daes...


JPsc:
I feel your sharing is so good, like yan's cakes and kuih, and Desi's tehtarik (or hari hari does it!) -- the pome is PRomoted to front page today!
all my ER, ENJOY!:)