My Anthem

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Escapade into Childhoodism

When I was young&alwaysaskingformore
I escaped to Robin and other folklore
Lately some Incident involving a Frien'
Drove me back to childhoodism again

TheThreeMusketeers and Ivanhoe
Or was it the Manwithabrokenleg and Yo-ho-ho?
No the former was Alexander Dumas
While the latter I encountered in Treasure Isle

If I mixed up Sherwood Forest
With RichardtheBrokenHeart
Will the Hood let me off the Hook
And Friar Tuck'd not snatch me to his Cook

'tis morn I woke up early with a start
Funny thoughts of long ago made me smart
Before these running ideas run helter-skelter
I seize a pen to put them to paper

Was some reading deserving' of taking one to book
I did commit a few -- gobbling up DH Lawrence -- by hook or crook
Teacher never batted an eye when a classmate substituted adultery for adulthood
When I corrected her without winking an eye, but in a slightly haughty mood

She was still into Enid Blyton and SecretSeven
Taught her how with crooks to get even
But 'twas Lord Byron and Emily Dickinson
Who inspired me into penning verses in imitation

So in troubled times such as these
I abandon prose, into rhyme I ease
If thou dothnot grasp what I mean
Hey read the lines in between

We are allowed some Escapism
One a while are we not
I plead guilty to committing Childhoodism
'tis morn thou can put me into the cookin' pot!

PS: the above was penned (or is it canned?) on receiving an SMS from someone warning me ReMain nICE, or I'll put thee in to fry (with some PoetL to amend ...) Thanks a thousand for the INspiration, or is Desiderata Doing pre-Penitence?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have always been (after visiting your cyberhome) –

Refreshed – after a hard day’s work

Reminded – Oop, I have not updated my blog

Reduced – humbled? How much more I have to improve in usage of words

Redirected – sometimes inspired by your postings, so change my subject for posting.

Here are some responses from friends who received the same SMS –

Yes, teach a man how to fish, he will fish more for you. Teach a man how to lie, he will steal and steal all your fish meant for frying! (a colleague whom I have not taught him to lie)

Titanic is a big ship. It also sank. Therefore, friend-ship is the greatest! (A long-time friend)

How have you been doing, my esteemed friend. (A CEO of a big establishment who has wished me Happy Mothers' Day" and I have forgotten to reply)

Your new-found friend

chong y l said...

Hi new found friend:

You are too kind with thy praises -seriously, we learn from each other, and I'd definitely return a courtsey call at my friend's home if only I had the compass! - I wish we can adjourn to the teh tarik stall (opens at 6.30pm) just opened serving piping hot teh susu lembu.

It will invigorate thee so much you would surely write thy posts more and todate!

I'm glad they have been a few "fans" who got to "knwo" me better by Emailing -- should you be similarly inclined, pls do so and we'll have some buddy-buddy exchanges! at chongyl2000@yahoo.com; hey other Readers peeping in are welcome to my humble lodge too!