My Anthem

Sunday, May 08, 2005

desiderata.happiness by Sabrina Tan

This young Sunday of May sees the breaking rays in various hues of a new Morningstar on Desiderata.English horizon. I am delighted to welcome the dawnin' of young&caring Sabrina Tan from New Zealand who honours me with being the First GuestBloggger here, writing on the features of happiness considered essential and desirable in a one's Life journey.


All about happiness

For years I have been questioning what is happiness exactly?

To be quite honest, there are only the few rare moments where I was very happy, elated to be exact. Getting a good mark for my piano Diploma, being accepted into Dentistry, etc.

I shall never forget these moments for the rest of my life as these are the significant moments that one never forgets. However, these significant moments shall only appear once in a blue moon, and we can’t get through life just waiting for these moments to occur.

How then, do I get through day-to-day life without all these significant milestones?
Do I have to be ecstatic all the time to get through everyday life?

I soon learnt to appreciate the essence of “Find joy in everything you do”.

Though being a Dental student, I see patients on average 4 days a week. I have at least 3-4 patients a day and I see them nearly every week. It’s stressful and we are constantly being demanded by our supervisors to be precise and excellent in our work. The rush against time often drives us up the wall as we often find that we do not have enough time to execute a task. It can get quite stressful to a point where I came back feeling numb, sad, depressed and questioning the motivation of me doing all these things.

However, happiness to me now are simple things like patients saying ‘ Thank You’ after treatment, patients baking me cookies or giving me flowers after delivering a denture to them.
I know that at least someone out there appreciates me for what I am doing.

After a stressful day, and when someone gives me a big hug after the appointment, that just simply made my day!

Happiness doesn’t drop down from the sky. We have to find happiness in virtually anything that we do, from talking to friends, to cooking, or even something as mundane as reading a book!

I also find that happiness is when I see someone happy and I am able to make someone’s day better amidst all the miseries and problems that are happening in their lives. All I needed to do is listen. Making them laugh, buying them muffins, giving them a hug, lightens up their day. It’s also a form of happiness for me when I know that I have managed to brighten up someone’s day.

According to many scientific researches, when an individual is happy, we release endorphins and that would help us de-stress and also have many beneficial effects to one’s health, hence the cliché Laughter is the Best Medicine!

Inevitably there are many circumstances around us that would lead us to sink into depression. It’s a fact of life that things often do not turn out the way we want them to be. However, optimism, but realistic optimism, can help you get through these obstacles in life and more often it would bring a solution to your worries!

I often find that if we let ourselves dwell into sorrow and misery, we shall never see the light at the end of the tunnel and things would spiral down from then on.

So try to find joy in everything that we do, and make an effort to cheer up somebody’s life. It makes you feel better and makes the other person feel so much better.

Make the world a happier place to live in, and WE can lead a good quality of life in the future.

Desiderata's PS: Other Readers are welcome to contribute on Desiderata of Happiness by writing to chongyl2000.blogspot.com. Light up desiderata's face like a thousand light bulbs as Sabrina Tan did!

No comments: