My Anthem

Friday, September 08, 2006

What IF...?

The country's power grid crashed down on US completely.

And we are thrown into total darkness for 48 hours?
No electricity.

Lots of sweat. I don't know about toil and tears.


Candles. Yes, soon the sundry and moony shops will run out of candles. But candle power cannot connect me to the PC. Can yours?
No Internet. No Word-processing, which is my lifeline to keeping body -- dunno about the soul! -- A-LIVE.
And I have an assignment with a newspaper to complete, Dead-line 2pm Friday, Sept 8, 2006, which, if NOT MET, I'm Dead!

But the paper's bosses would understand, right?

Is that a rhetoric Q? I dunno. I may ask mGf Yan when we meet next in Kuala Lumpur.

She was in the big, bad, city of wolves yesterday and we were supposed to catch for a semi-official breakfast meeting at 7.30am this moUrn. Luckily she called at about 6pm (I think) to "cancel" as she needed to return to Catsville for somethin' "urgent"! I hope she did not miss her fright!

That "What IF" thought crashed on Desi at about 7.00pm as I was working on some press summaries. I forgot to bring a diskette -- a case of More haste, Less speed again -- I used "again" because obviously, it's NOTthe first time. Neither can I promise thee it would be the lust. If some Maverick complains Desi is back to his DDC menace, my retort would be: Hey, please detour to another website, K! I have other ER like Helen and FA and PRose who enjoy some teasing of the mind; further now I'm among Top 10 Bloggers in NegaraKu, (ref: asiablogawards.com, or contact fashionasia.blogspot.com and allofhelen.blogspot.com, the hoRsts of which are my campaign managers -- one conscripted to lure her back from hideout! and the Other, a A-volunteer!)

WoW! Desiderata2000 has at least Three diehard fans! and I don't mean the Three Musketeers! I think sometimes they act bona fide de les', that is, in con-cert, or in con-sort, trying to put Desi on the hot plate.

I suspect either 1, or 2, or 3 were responsible for putting up desiderata2000 nama to the ABA orgasmnisers. I may sound "ungrateful" (as ex-PM Tun DR Mahathir Mohamad had alleged of some people, so also the Trio might follow suit. Power by association, eh?)

But I desire their (The 3 Musks' I mean) banters/bantai!), therefore today I won't overdose on DDC. OthereVice, this scribe be accused of acting aksi.

Now, where was I?

Oh, as I was saying, I was writing out press precis. I forgot to bring diskette to the Internet Cafe -- where they don't serve Coffee or Tehtarik (THINKing allowed: don't know if I can complain to the Consumners' Claims Tribunal for my money back?) -- so I sued the Yahoo Mail "DRAFTS" channel to work on my assignment. No, I am NOT a fulltime Blogger. I blog because it helps to clear my block(ed)head so that I can earn some moolah (B&B, with some kaya thrown in) writing serious Business/Economics articles and some...

Was 2-1/2 hours into the job, then Poop! a pictute took over the PC screen, and I LOST the precious document!

I begged the Cafe supervisor (telepathisedd him I won't make the Tribunal claim...) to help me to try to recover the document. "Sorry" was the first, and lust words he said. "Too bad-lah" came in between.
WSo was I glad that sisdar Yan cancelled on the BF Meet though I was looking forward to an early CON BF (by 48 hours).

So back to my important question.

WHAT IF the country's power grid broke down for 48?

Hours-lah, can't be 48 days -- we are not 4th world, are we?
Also not 48 minutes, we are not yet First WEorld, are we?

The Most Important Questions that follows ~~

My EsteemedReaders, how would you cope without electricity for 48 hours?
Pick from the following trains of action~~~~~

(1) DESPERATION: Jump from the Twin Towers?
(2) OPPORTUNITY: Call your Boss and ask: Can I take a holiday?
(3) BLOGGERSSOJOURNITY: Organise another G7+ Meet?
(4) MAKELOVEWHILETHESUNSHINES: ala-Lionel Ritche "AllNights&Days Long"
(5) OTHER

PS: If you select (5), please enunciate/elaborate/essay. IF it's award-winning quality, I'll forward to the :: ABA orgasmnisers :: for
con-sideration for the following year's awards.

Oh, kuasa telah kembali,SemuaNya OK!

14 comments:

Fashionasia said...

desi desi...didn't your tech guru ever teach thee to always SAVE(SAFE) your drafts!!!
seelah...told u to use Gmail oledi wat. Convert convert faster!! Gmail auto save all your drafts every couple of seconds...which is really great.

Fashionasia said...

Option 4: those days where there is no such thing as electricity..THAT is ppl's pass time activity...thats y ppl those days got so many children ma....

chong y l said...

FA: I'll definAtely CON-seatder Gmail, any Gfemail as fallback?
If I switche, do I get some dole? Poor ousey writHer here! LOST in DARKNESS!:(

I second Option 4 choice of yours! Dr Mahathir's fan -- 70million!
Me --only 20mil!, so do about 1/3 +li'l of the dime:)

Now I know where YOU were when all the lights went out!

Ooouch, I got poinched by Anak Merdeka for being chicky!:(

chong y l said...

Short Note my ER:

Join Desi for 3D power-saving sojourn until the Electricity comes back on? Two-some. 3-some like Howsy's. Four-some also cun!:)

Seeya folks Sext Monday, Insya-Allah.
Meanwhile, I'm letting FashionAsia &Helen (if she lapur for duti!) do the marketing -- She's one hella of brading person with the bestA selling proposition!

CONvinced Desi about GMail o'lady!:)

Anonymous said...

Haiya, got generator mar! Ask Jln. Riong or Section 16 whether they keep a generator or not.

Use Gmail lar, you want me to invite you issit?

Maverick SM said...

Any lesson learnt? Use Gmail? I don't know... I only use yahoo

Arena Green said...

No power for 48? No Streamyx for 4848? What's the difference? I'd say use the good ol' manual typewriter - tick tack tick tack .. (if u got nothing else to do to pass too much free time) LOL

JOEPSC said...

Desi, is the blackout real or just hypothetical?

I had the unfortunate experience of the blackout in 1992, when I was in KL for business. The traffic was at a standstill, shops were rushing to close their shutters, and it was candle light in the hotel room without air-con. Telephone lines were not working, and after one night, I happily flew out to Penang, to find the blackout followed me there too! So I spent another two nights by candlelight without air-con, but was supplied a paper fan, and eating roadside hawker food (they use gas to cook) along the beach...the good thing, I lost 2 Kgs!

Primrose said...

WHAT IF I offered you some baked cheesecake?

chong y l said...

howsy: thanks for SECOND invite to use Gmail?
I told FA I'm considering her offer -- she hasn't replied whether a Gfe-mail comes along!:)

AS for the Jln Riong or S16 generators, they only use tonnes of money to run; Desi only offers Words, and Words are all I generate ... hope to please my ER like Howsy, upset him once a w'ile, also nah mine!:(

chong y l said...

mave sm:

Like thee, I RPOcrastinate; Yahoo-mail serves me wella, except once a w'ilelah. But to use Gmail, ah...that's a BID decision man...I dunno, will slepp over IT while the lights are steal Out!

chong y l said...

anak m:

I also have a typewriter -- my first costing BIG bucks of RM220 centuries ago! -- an Olivetti with Desiderata inscribed proudly.

Wanna XXchange? Have you inscribed your name/penname/blogname/PC name watever, in GOLD?

4848 with NO email and Internet? CAn Anak sirvive ah? No tokking ...k with brudder Howsy & Mave -- leave Desi alONE lah-- he has got Helen mui-mui and other mGf counted on fingers once, and TOES now, to keep him going...tehtarik2, cafe cinoroserie3 plus cheesecake4!

chong y l said...

joepsc:

It was indeed a theoretical case, following my "document disappearing act" when I used Yahoo-mail to do my draft press summary. Come to think of it, yes, I recall there was a major "power failure" in my country ...was IT the 48 you described? What were you involved in -- teaching young Penangites flying chow kuey teow in Penang besides giving English tuition?

No wondeer PP CKT tastes sinfool! But goes down wella with my piping hot tehtarik!:)

Joespc: When you're next in Seremban/heading to Penang, pls inform Desi -- I'd like to learn how to fly CKY so that I can entertain Sabrina and Theels to beat 'em at their cuisins!

chong y l said...

primrose:

I'll take the cake, but you have to "move the cheese" for the mousey!

NB: I don't take to cheese like the mice take to Desi,
So 'staed, I'll take two cuppa of PRose branded cafe cinoroserie!:)

I now have my cake and eat IT2!
Minus the cheese which will make my mice vely AP-py!