My Anthem

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Young&Articulate ... Part 5 (Post-Final)

Sub-title: THE MALAYSIAN DILEMMA- LAMENTS OF THE YOUTH TODAY

More SPECIFICALLY through the eyes of a University student abroad:The Malaysian Student Dilemma

GUEST BLOGGER: SABRINA TAN


Recent events led me to think that being a student abroad, there are many things we come across that made us who we are today, and perhaps with hope that we will be the future leaders of the country?


It’s the time of the year where future graduates are out job hunting. They are frantic on trying to secure a decent job interview. They searched high and low for an appropriate referee. They get news from the referee that the future employer called them up and asked them about their opinion towards this future employee.

I looked at them and can’t help wondering where I will end up next year, same time round.

Some of you will say that I am just worrying about nothing. Dentists shouldn’t have a problem with getting a job. Yet I hear some people who still haven’t got a job at the moment.

As for my Malaysian counterparts? They are definitely NOT going back to Malaysia. Most of them end up in New Zealand, some are ‘lucky’ enough to go to Queensland, Australia.

I have stressed many times in the past on why the Malaysian students here are not going back to serve the country. Google my name and you can find the entries at desiderata and Jeff Ooi.

As for me, I think I will be following the league of my seniors and would hope to land a job either here or Australia. My patients will ask: “Why?! Why not go home?” I often smiled at them nonchalantly and said: “It’s a long..long..story…”

They still looked at me with a puzzled look but were respectful enough to not question about my rationale behind it.

Patriotism is to support your country all the time and your government when it deserves it.”Mark Twain

I copied that phrase from Desiderata on his post (yesterday...I highly suggest one should go read it as it’s about Institutionalised Racism, written by John Ling who originally had this written for Think Magazine.)

For days, months and years my head kept coming back to the question of why am I not patriotic. I have often had comments like:

“Oh you really should come back and serve the country...the country needs you...”

Does it really need me? Then why do I keep feeling that the people who run the country are using all their might to prevent me along with my other colleagues from coming back?

“You should come back because your parents are here, you being the only child, really should come back and look after them...don’t be so selfish...”

My parents urged that I don’t come back. They don’t mind me not being there with them, as long as my future generations and I have a better life (not in monetary terms). They would rather come and visit me more often. Perhaps someday they’ll retire with me over here.

“ Don’t you miss home? Why are you so anti- Malaysian? Surely we are much better off than many people around the world..take Uganda, Etopia for example...”

First of all, I am not anti Malaysia. I love Malaysia a lot. In fact I am very sentimental towards it. It was the place where at least, I got a decent primary and secondary education. It was the place that taught me my roots, many thanks to the still strong surviving Chinese public schools in Penang. It was the place where my parents were born and bred, and they taught me everything that they know to make me who I am today.

Yet on the same level, I feel that Malaysia has soooo much potential to be a much better country. No, we shouldn’t benchmark ourselves against lesser/poorer countries, if anything we should strive to be like our better counterparts, eg Australia, NZ (and we don’t even need to look far for that).

Am I not being patriotic? Well when Mark Twain said the phrase above, he was in United States of America. That, is the land of freedom...the land where dreams can come true...

Can you tell me that this is also the case for Malaysia?
The way I see it is that at least I care about Malaysia enough to try to echo the sentiments of the young. At least I want to know what is going on with Malaysia, and voice out certain concerns if something doesn’t seem right.

Many of Malaysia’s residents and citizens don’t even own a newspaper. They litter rubbish on the ground (especially Penang). They discharge bodily fluids without discretion. Aren’t these actions of un-patriotism?

I have always admired the Scandinavian countries for their wonderful social benefits and governance. Sure, they pay high taxes, but at least their tax is fully utilised.
Many of the research projects in the health field come from the Scandinavian countries.
Whenever I read on research projects like these, I can’t help but let out a big sigh and just dream that someday Malaysia will be like this:

1) their citizens get dental check ups ( every 6 mths, on the government)
2) they get regular scaling (mechanical removal of plaque and tartar from tooth surfaces) from the government, and often a dental hygienist would be their first port of call
3) if you want to extract a tooth, they will do with all their might to prevent that from happening
4) each citizen is guaranteed having a house by age 21, be it you purchased it or you obtained loan from the government.

These are just a slight insight on how they run their government.
I have never seen any issues like AP, NEP or whatever P in the Scandinavian politics so far.

Yet people say that I am being too pessimistic towards the hope of Malaysia. Am I? Or am I just being realistic?


If I am being pessimistic, why am I not the only one who shares the same sentiments?
Why are there millions of other Malaysians around the world,that are fearful to go back?

Once again, I give up..


DESIDERATA: I won't re-introduce Sabrina Tan, except to say that she must rank as the first "awesome" YOUNG&ARTICULATE who caught Desi's eye in blogosphere, and it was my greAt privilege and pleasure to have her all the way from New Zealand ... (landscaping so familiar when you saw The Lord of the Rings...?) as the Maiden Guest Blogger here. This post fits in so well with all the previous FOUR PARTS in the same-named SERIES I had to re-open the runway, walkway, or writeway for this shAring ...For more on the dentist-to-be -- Desi has teAsed her she can always have Journalism as her fallback career option!-- please visit Sab's Place at http://sabrinawstan.blogsome.com.

AND I do strongly urge my EsteemedReaderers to ENGAGE Sabrina (hey, Sab, you play host today, play goalkeeper for a change, I'll help Haridas with the tehtarik!) in her tjoughts frankly put, even challenge her maybe, rebut any controversial claims even, but don't get personal, for we want a platform for civil discourse. You can use sarcasm, innuendoes, wordplay, fore- or post- Desi won't care, just be careful you don't make Desi call in THE BOMBA!

IN CLOSING, as Tuesday night waltzes into Wednesday morn, this writer by destiny's walk hears the strains of Moon River whispering from Breakfast at Tiffany's recalling another "Sabrina", transported into another era of KATE & LEOPOLD's olde world of a duke and his bridal-duchess, and I wandereth/wondereth into Life's strange twists and turns, seeking the meaning of meandering threads in Blogosphere.

Then I understand why ... please if you don't know what Desi's talking about, it's another Challengia to which Desi's not aloud to give an answer ... yet, from the stars that lead some one here, she yet finds a soulmate at the end of a rainbow ...it always comes after a storm. Desiderata like a DJ caught in a midnight reverie, dedicates this Mark Twainesque drift to mGf:

"Moon River"

music by Henry Mancini,
lyrics by Johnny Mercer
Hear Audrey Hepburn sing:

Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,

Moon River and me.

18 comments:

Sabrina Tan said...

i have already played host at my place..there's a heated debate over there between Skay and John LIng.
GO! GO! go to my blog now! =)

Howsy said...

Hey...guess what...I was eating a Chinese takeaway yesterday and guess what the fortune cookie's message was...
"Man goes everywhere to find what they want only to find out that what they want is at home"...
Dunno quite what that meant but I felt a hint of irony there...

chong y l said...

sabrina:
Responding at 1.13am after posting a comment at thy place -- maybe we should havea teleconference facility here, eh?

I;m glad that s-kay provides a counter-point to johnling's well-based premises. I won't add to that except urge the YoungOnes on two options:

(1) Let thy fires of Idealism work for thee -- Change can only come from the YoungOnes, and if they leave for foreign shores (permanentkly...), who stays to fight, poor Desi, but no more tears to shed! Hence my appeal to consider Migration from here only as an Option of Last Resort.

(2) Form a new Political party, for the YoungOnes, and the Young-at-heArt2! I'd like to be an Adviser -lah, maybe pay me one-off?RM20million to buy that Dream Fantasy I-LAND, where the YoungPoliticians CAN GO FOR PERIODIC HIATUSES! Hey, second part is usual Dsi pulling thy legs, besides enjoying pulling our teA!

(2)

chong y l said...

Howsy:

Just the Right sort of Malaysian anecdote to perk up my Wednesdays!

Also, it ties in with the FUN CHALLENGIA which attracted thee, s-kay and dangerous V.

At the end of the day, HOMELAND CALLS, and with all the Forget-Me-Nots that bind us to dear Malaysia, it's still NegaraKu, My Country, Your Country, OUR COUNTRY...

So your story does ring true .. thanks Mate ...will call it a nite as I just heard the whispering of Moon River calling ...
Waiting round the bend
My huckleberry friend
Moon River and Me.

H J Angus said...

I believe that all Malaysians should train to become global citizens; limited only by their own talents.

I do not expect my children to return to Malaysia unless the country knows how to attract and reward their talents.

There is a non-political group of young ptofessionals called Promuda in Malaysia.

If anyone wants to contact them, let me know.

Anonymous said...

LOL..when I saw 20million there Desi, I thought you were gonna sponsor 20million to start the new political party. Ahemz..fundraising perhaps? "Help the Young&Articulate to Help You" ;)

Sabrina Tan said...

well guys and gals..this hostess will adjourn the hosting 'ceremony' to my blog. so please care to drop by there.
I am sure Desi will serve the Teh Tarik =)

Dangerous Variable said...

Sab,

I totally agree with you and understand your sentiments why you might want to consider working overseas and not coming. Totally legit reasons. However, as you were comparing Scandinavian countries, you have to remember that they are already developed countries and have homogenous compostion of society, which is easier to govern. i.e. Japan, Korea, etc.

It is good that we compare Malaysia to the Scandinavian countries us as a benchmark and standards to follow. However, as a better comparison of apples to apples, you would want to compare Malaysia with mulitracial and multiethnic societies like the United States. They too faced the same issues as we faced in Malaysia. In principle they have regulations and rule to deter discriminatory practices. However, their goverment is as just as racist and discriminatory in practice to their minorities and migrant workers.

Sabrina Tan said...

hi DV

sure, who doesn't have prejudice? heck in some countries, there is also discrimination.
but you see, the difference between US and Msia is this:

at least there isn't INSITUTIONALISED RACISM. as long as you are good, you can get into a decent Uni with a decent degree. sure, there might be bias in the selection process for, perhaps more prestigious degrees..eg Medicine, Dentistry etc but at the end of the day, they still TRY to appear as fair as possible.
can i see this in Msia?

Dangerous Variable said...

Sab,

I might be contradict myself with this comment. I do agree to some parts of institutional racism in the positive sense because of the social engineering of Malaysian society. However, it was been widely abused.

I agree with you that in Malaysia they would not even bother to look fair but then again, what about the aid going to the predominantly african american victims of Katrina? The government response was faster during the 9/11 tragedy but not for the minority dominated areas or New Orleans and Florida.

It might not be in education that the americans is seen to be unfair, but maybe in other areas like the distribution of subsidies in agriculture, government intervention in automotive industries, federal funding to predominantly white states.

What about an African American for President or vice president? They are no more the same as us. Even though both our contries has similar constitutions which states that any tom, dick and harry can be elected as head of state. But by natural default, it will only be the whites in the USA or the Bumis (or not even a bumi but/and a muslim) in Malaysia.

It is the to degree of where institutional racism is being practice. We are unconsciously ethnocentric because it is the way we have been socialized. It is just that, we are being taught consciously to be tolerent through our schools.

Birds of a feater flock together. Likewise, humans too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chong y l said...

Hi h j angus:

good to hear a far-sighted advice -- endeavour to be "glocal" citizens -- stud, work, multi=skill abroad, but at the end of thhe day, there is still theROOTS calling you home -- thr forget-me-nots I wrote about last Sunday.People and Places , plus cuisines, strange mix of cultures diluted by foreign influence, esp American through dominance in media and entertainment.

I do believe if you've spent a "growing" childhood, teenage years in Malaysia, there are always some roots that bind thee forever -- so after the foreign travles, travails even, servie, labour -- don't you think you owe some "yeoman" service to Homeland, mGf the YOUNGONES?

We are all actors on the small world stage called Malaysia, and each must play his/her play -- some comedic, some tragic, some heroic, some cowardly ...so be it.

But giving up at such a Young Age -- no, you owe your blood family and "national" family more than that!

chong y l said...

s-kay:

that reference of RM20million arose from some fantasy island up for sale off Terengganu, and there was a FUN CHALLENGIA guessing the name for that I-LAND, which resulted in a winner for "spiritedestination"...

Where tehtarik flows freely
and YoungOnes can idealise their dreams
and writers and I.coows roam mighty
and Life is one long, cool stream


to fulfil aspirations of young and younATheart
and if you're keen
join the teAm
to each playing his/her partPS:

One step towards realisation
will soOn be undertaken
in baby steps
by Desi, Leemk and YoungKyels
YoungPeoplesParty is yet a new destination

Anonymous said...

I've been to Sab's blog... Read all the comments... It was HAWT!

John Lee said...

dangerous variable:
As someone who knows a lot of Americans, I think it is difficult to make much generalisations about the US. The US is a paradox of a nation, because it seems to embrace contradicting values. It is as easy to state that the US is racist as it is easy to declare that the US is highly tolerant and accepting. Lest you forget, it is these same "racist" policies that permit a huge influx of immigrants into the US; within a few decades, the Whites will be a minority, outnumbered by the Blacks and Hispanics.

chong y l said...

oh keys:

Thou led me down
you like leemk maketh me frown
You DESert me for Sab's Place
I'm closing me-Blog down in disgrAce

Further you stole the thunder on Friday morn
My phua Chu Kang's sting is gone
Thou earneth my scorn
I'm goin' spookspheree, hopfoolly, reborn

chong y l said...

DEAR READERS ALL:

PleAse adjourn to Sab's Place
I went there with the Bomba
I also was lost in a Maze
One leemk's post's lost in NZ haze

Continue the red-hot exchanges between
s-kay+Desi versus sab-johnling teAm
I think I can raise that RM20million NOW
Org a debate and charge RM100,000pax
on Rcih Malaysians and Oz-NZs
To ENJOY our heated Pow-WoW

John Lee said...

Argh, I just posted another comment but it seems to have disappeared into an abyss. :-S