My Anthem

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"I seek the peAce within"

I enjoyed the simple yet meaningful poem composed and first recited by Pak Lah when he was Deputy Prime Minister at a Malam Puisi on May 9, 2003. The poem was reprised on page 2 in the New Straits Times October 10, 2005 with a report that the poem, in Malay titled Aku Cari Damai Abadi, would be circulted widely in the form of greeting cards.

I seek not riches untold
To live a life of luxury,
I seek not millions
To live a life of plenty;
I seek not friends so many
To live a life of profligacy,

I seek he who is Al-Ghazali
I seek he who is Al-Shafei
To unravel the secrets in the Holy Book
Seeking inspiration,
To unravel the secrets in the ways of the Prophet
Seeking guidance,
I live only for him, my Lord
He is my companion
He is my guardian
He suffices,


I live a life of full meaning
Immersed in the peace within


I have always held OUR PRIME MINISTER DATUK SERI ABDULLAH AHMAD BADAWI since he took office on November 1, 2003 in the highest esteem. From his various policy statements, I know Pak Lah meant well for his country, OUR COUNTRY. He has on several occasions exhorted the people to speak the truth with him. Today this humble citizen likes to converse a little with my prime minister,perhaps helping him to get to some approximations of some truths lying out there.


The life philosophy expressed in this humble poem shows Pak Lah as a God-fearing man answering only to The Almighty, who knows the temporal nature of the species called Homo sapiens, as indicated in the expressed “I seek not friends so many”. This assurance really instills confidence in me.

We know a PM will always be welcomed by tremendous crowds, and visited by throngs of people seeking his “help or support” to advance their private businesses or ambitions.There wil always be hangers-on and cronies seeking largesse via ministerial connections, but I believe the PM stands by his conviction that the Rakyat should emulate his ethos "not to seek millions".

Here lies a GooD MESSAGE to politician-aspirants aiming to become millionaires by the age of 27-30 -- I hope MCA and UMNO Youth leaders are hearing this! MIC Youth leaders are out of the radar screen because the leaders can't even raise RM500million to get to their meagre single-digit share of Indian equities. Whose laments?

The premiere has promised a corruption-free, transparent and accountable government. He has pledged to WALK THE TALK. Here perhaps the people’s expectations were too high in the first two years, and many felt the PM had not acted tough enough. But we have seen a few TOP GUNS given the marching orders, though they were not sent to face the four grey walls exemplified by the Prison along Jalan Pudu nowturned into a Museum. Maybe more politicians should join the Museum pieces.

I am using a lot of maybe and perhaps this morning. I hope I won’t have to use “Mayhaps” because then the possibility becomes even remoter, graduating to the remotest. (Somebody check whether it should read as more and most remote…ne’er mind, you got me, didn’t you?)

As a citizen, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has not given me any ground to doubt his words.But between the pronouncement of the policies of good intentions, there are just too many spanners poked into the wheels to prevent the final and smooth delivery of the systems. In other words, the intermediaries the PM has to rely on have not been able to live up to the CEO’s stated objectives and goals committed to the nation and the people's wellbeing.

In another 20 days, Pak Lah would have served as for two years steering the nation’s ship directed at reaching Developed Nation status in 2020.

I don’t have much confidence that in his present team within his Cabinet to be able to propel the Ship forward at the speed and in the direction that he clearly wishes.
Maybe he need to immerse his Cabinet members deeply with the essence and intellect espoused in his Poem, especaially his God-Fearing ways; then perhaps, he may yet be able to attain Vision 2020 goal, which is a short 15 years away.


I think Pak Lah has reached the Rakyat with his personal message via his little, humble Poem. But the other leaders need to take heed too because they are part of the team. They have to pull their weight along with the helmsman. The Rakyat expect it, they in fact demand it. Those who can’t deliver or fulfill Pak Lah’s pledges supported by the people’s mandate, please do the honourable thing.

As common Citizen Joe, I pray that the Cabinet members who have not cultivated the wisdom and path of their God-fearing leader, and walk the path in consonance with the leader’s examples, then it’s only right they step down gracefully. Make way for others who will walk with determination and focus as Pak Lah has vowed so that we all seek the peace within like the Master. And that “all” includes all the present Yang Berhormat Cabinet Members.


I reprise today another poem quite resonant with Pak Lah's which has a special message to all Common Citizens Joe& Jane. I have always liked this inspiring poem, which was taught in Malaysian secondary schools in the good olde days. It is an optimistic piece, so essential to idealistic youth so that they are encouraged by the prospects that “good people” like our Prime Minister will have their own reward.
A person similar to Pak Lah’s stature from a Poet’s imagination more than a hundred years ago, yet still as relevant and heart-warming as Pak Lah's poem, is
Abou Ben Adhem

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An Angel writing in a book of gold:
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said,
"What writest thou?" The Vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord
Answered, "The names of those who love the Lord."

"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the Angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerily still; and said, "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one who loves his fellow men."

The Angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And shoed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And, lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest!


Leigh Hunt
(1784-1859)


TODAY I STAND PROUD BEING A MALAYSIAN.

The reason: I finally found in Pak Lah the rare confluence of
THE SINGER AND THE SONG.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the poem too. It's really simple and nice!

Hehe. Maybe you should write one too!

One teh tarik for thee!

chong y l said...

kyels:

One poem inXchange for one midnite rendezvous with my loyal fan:

Woke up to check on my fRiend royal Moon
He's sad looking last nite, and I need to find out why soon
I realise even the faithfool need some appreciation
Hence I find time to pen this li'l poem of admiration

First for Da Moon for such loyal duty
Then thee, for such loyal beAuty
Back to thy bed Child, I'm minded
Both the moon&mGf are tired

GOoDnite, or isit GoOderMorn
Now I know why MBooker's born
But this poem can't rival the peAce within
Desi's humble bee,Let my PM win.