My Anthem

Thursday, October 30, 2008

I like to wander while...

I have a problem lingering in my mind.
And it's not of Willie Nelson's kind.
I get the feeling people are less sincere nowadays
I'm talking about Malaysians in general

People just talk and talk
They don't intend to walk that talk
So inside me I ask:
Then why bother?
(The talking, I mean!)

So I like to wander
pondering
wondering

the big and small why

People just open the BIG mouth
and babble on and on
about the problems besetting the country
but that's all they do

pontificating
giing 2sen plus one more sen
of their mental greatness

But when pressed to take part in
any initiative
to try tackle any social
even national
problem

like "Abolish ISA"
or fighting injustices in general

"No-lah, I don't have the time
You people go ahead-lah!"
Stock replies

Then they adjourn to the stockmarket air-con
environ to place more bets

That's quite common nowadays

I mean my wandering
and wondering

What led my NegaraKu-ians to this

state of affairs?

Lousy leaders?
Poor education system?
Or we have all succumbed to that spiral
of effects and CON

because of the ****BIG C?

Dear EsteemedReaders, YOU TELL DESI!

**** The number one problem besetting the country that Leaders
cuntinude to talk about. It's like what UMNO's disciplne bigshot
Rithauddeen was din-ing about, the big C besieging his party,
especially the past TWO DECADES -- da BIG C getting worse with each party erection

-- Ooops, election, according to Rithauddeen, not Desi.

Come on, dear ER, please tell me, What's Da Problem?


DESIDERATA: In context, maybe for the past FIVE YEARS, we had the nation's CEO for
over-talking and under-delivering ...

Desi's last challenge -- CAN HE DELIVER ON JUST ONE LAST ACT?

From The Malaysian Insider, someone reads my mind:)

Ambiga pleads for ISA repeal

By Adib Zalkapli

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 29 – Bar Council president Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan made an impassioned plea today to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi to abolish the Internal Security Act before he leaves office next year.

"Prime Minister, while it may still be in your means to do so, and as a historic legacy to this nation that both you and I love, I ask you, on behalf of all right thinking Malaysians and on behalf of the legal fraternity of Malaysia, to move to abolish the ISA," Ambiga said in her speech at the opening of the 21st Lawasia Conference here.

She said the enforcement of the ISA had diverted from the original intention for which it was enacted.

"One can see how far we have strayed from the original intent of the ISA when a blogger, a politician, a journalist and a civil society organiser can, independently of each other, be seen as threats to national security," said Ambiga referring to recent ISA arrests.

In September, blogger Raja Petra Kamaruddin, lawmaker Teresa Kok and Sin Chew Daily journalist Tan Hoon Cheng,were arrested under the ISA. Tan was released less than 24 hours later and Kok was released after one week. Raja Petra is currently is serving a two-year detention order.

Abdullah, however, was non committal when responding to Ambiga's appeal, but hinted that the law will not be abolished.

"I am happy to hear that she raised this issue without fear or favour. As the Home Minister, I have discharged my responsibility without fear or favour," said Abdullah in his keynote address.

Late last year, Abdullah as the Home Minister ordered the detention of five Hindraf leaders after they led a street protest in Kuala Lumpur demanding the government stop discriminating against the Indian community.

On his pledge to reform the judiciary, Abdullah said the plan to form the Judicial Appointment Commission is on track.

"Work on the relevant legislation is progressing well and the government aims to table the relevant legislation to establish the commission by the end of the year," he added.

No comments: