My Anthem

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

From Adelaidenow.com.au, not so lucky news!

Malaysia the neighbouring "lucky" country is privileged to be out of the LIST featuring that Lucky Country where sheep outnumber Homo sapiens and most people are happy all day greAting Thee, a stranger on their shores: G'Dae, mate! (and bump-ing you hard on the back as you've know him/her for a lust century!:). I dunno about the nightz!
For once, not making it to the TOP 5 is a prize! No more comment from Desi as he has many friends Down Under, and this is no laughing matter.:( -- YL Chong

WWF says Australians are world's fifth worst polluters
Article from:

CARA JENKIN, ENVIRONMENT REPORTER
October 29, 2008 10:05am
AUSTRALIANS are now one of the top five polluting and consuming nations in the world, using more of the Earth's resources than ever before.

WWF's biennial Living Planet Report has found Australia has jumped one place in the world rankings of the nations which exploit the environment, entering the top five for the first time.

The report compares a country's ecological footprint, which is the measure of how much of the Earth's land, water and air resources are used and abused.

Australia's position is one place higher than when the survey was last conducted in 2006.

The United Arab Emirates has the worst ecological footprint, but the US is not far behind.

WWF-Australia chief executive Greg Bourne said carbon emissions accounted for much of Australia's footprint.

"We currently have the technology and capital to turn around our destructive excesses - the real question is, do we have the will?" he said.

"Industry and Government must take urgent action to preserve Australia's natural resources that remain."

Each Australian now needs 7.81ha of land to maintain their lifestyle, up from 6.76ha per Australian in 2006.

If everyone in the world lived according to Australia's footprint, more than three planets would be needed to sustain consumption.

The top five countries in order were United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Kuwait, Denmark and Australia.

3 comments:

sweetspirits said...

Oh dear maybe we should remove our bins from the beach .I don't think that would work , just remember we are now the country with the highest obese population in the world .
Damn we should all diet , that should help :) I've already started .
cheerz

btw I'm doing my bit , I'm a non drinker , non smoker , a vegan ..

chong y l said...

hi sweets:

I guess I was SIRprised reading about Ozland being highly polluted; goes against the "imgae" I had about its Rakyat so nature and fun-loving which assumes they naturally would take care of the environment.

Well, now instead of admiring the sunset at Redhead, I gas Sweets may have to pick up bits and bytes of paper and throwaways!:)

I am like Thee a non drinker, non-smoker, BUTT I'm no vegan. I'm for "V"4Change! Change to a greener environ!:):)
Cheers, how's the beach waters todie, matey?

sweetspirits said...

Hi Desi
Haha geez i do enough cleaning at home , I'm not gotta clean the beach hehe .Honestly Redhead beach is the cleanest I've ever seen , it's beautiful ppl use the bins on the beach :). Surely Desi saw that through my eyes ;)
cheerz