My Anthem

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Two local and one foreign and one Mine!

Start off with the most dear to you, can I presume, my deer?
If wronly assumed, I pray for thy forgetfulness, and my own forgiftnurse, no fear. Amen.
(PAUSE, thinking of awe the femail readers who follow my blockhead 'rites...) Ah-wo'men.



Tuesday's Child is full of grace

But one-none-too-shy TwistedHeels says she's not fool
Desi replies: 'tis Gracefool of thee telling in my face
I like it, forthright and frank, just as ranking
Amore than han Princess Grace, though God bless her soul
She's looking down as us mortals from H'aven smiling
Unlike my dies, nowadays Girls are so bold. Lol and B'hold!

~~ DEsi on inspiration statistically impoosibly short time
twist 11.38am-11.41am Feb 6, 2007


Local1:

Lies, damned lies, and statistics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This well-known saying is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." The semi-ironic statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, and succinctly describes how even accurate statistics can be used to bolster inaccurate arguments.

Recent research indicates that neither Disraeli nor Twain actually coined the phrase. DEsi: Amore later, okay!***

From the New Straits Times, frontpage:


State of the economy:
How healthy is it really?


THE STATISTICS
SHOW IT'S
STRONGER
THAN EVER...


>> P4/5
Economy now and more
resilient than ever

By Adeline Paul Raj and Rupa Damodaran


Malaysian firms
marching into
foreign markets


Surprise,
success
stories
of GLCs


EPF declares 5.15 per cent dividend

DESI: I won't reproduce the stories as I believe you should not scrimp (Is that the right word in your vocab, Mr Scrooge) on RM1.20. Forego one kopi or tehtarik -- like Teh=See! -- and you'd be healtheir for it! Your brain cells too. I speak from XXperience, as I'm no doc. Dog-gone year is almost gonna. Woof, woof. Reminds me of Secret Se&en, but why am I rambling. Digression is good for thy soul, Drs Desi says.

And what is "Drs" you may ask? OKay I tell you -- One famous Datuk Bandar had a Masters which entitles him a "Drs" but he conveniently droped the "ass", and hey, presto, he was quoted as a Dr for a decade or so. If ++Mark Twain was alive, he would have whispered. "What an "ass" the city major maketh of his major in masterly education." But that's atributed to YL Chong, for I am not the late Mark's tw'in... Oh, no, or he might sue me for raising his status to above six feet under-the-ground!
"Suing, my dear American mGf, is now a favourite Malaysian passe time.
No wonder the lawyers are all half-broke. Don't fix it yet!"


++By the way, Mark Twain also said this about AGE: "Age is a matter of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Okay, back to the NST frontpage, I reprise one statistic only and pose a question, can?

KLCI Index

9/1/98 262.7pts

>>>
YESTERDAY
1,225.73pts


QUESTION: Why pick 9/1/98 as base for comparison when the local bourse fell to its lowest level?
Why not pick Nov 1, 2003 -- The day Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi took over from Dr Mahathir Mohamad as Prime Minister?

I now rest my case. Actually, mainly to rest my tired arms and fingers. I need to conserve the energy to count my Fingers for that number of fRiends, rising and falling likie ta stock market. But my range is small: 1 to 10 only. Maybe 11 to 20 when I graduate to counting the toes.

Oh, I forgot ~~ can I quote a second statistic?

EPF declares
5.15%
dividend


QUESTION: In the good years, I rmember EPF was declaring 6.5% to 7.5%, Yes/No?
I appeal to my older EsteemedReaders (Esteemed here doesn't refer to you being "more in age", I accord the same respect to Young and Old Articulates!) to tell me on this point, can?

If the memory recall is correct, then my sext Q: So what's the big deal of this latest dividend of 5.15%??
NOTE: (I normally advise my readers NOT to put two ? marks like this ??, but I make an exception because...) To be frank as TwistedHeels, my logic this mourn is also twisted, although my heels are healed. In fact, I just told a lie 'cos in the first place, my heels were not twisted. So how can a Drs become a Dr?

Local2:


I seldom blog on Business stories in my Comentaries, but this one is serious.
Digressing alittle, the Government has begun shutting citizens and the Opposition leaders up by using the official Secrets Act. As a result, NegaruKu relies on news on the grapevine -- yes, RUMOURS. Rumour has it that Malaysia thrives, even prospers on rumour-mongering, so much so INNOCENT, and NO-SO-INOCENT, parties are caught in its WEB. www is what? Wild Wild West in Desi's cowboy days, and aweOfHelen was a Cowgal. Who played RedIndianaJones here? Housey, Anak Merdeka and Mave, I hear?



From NST again,


Kurnia victim of
smear campaign, says MD


February 6 2007


KURNIA Asia Bhd, Malaysia largest general insurer, says it is the victim of an "organised" smear campaign that claims the firm is in trouble.


Its managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Loh Heong Chow has denied the allegations and it has filed reports with the authorities, including the police.

In recent weeks, certain parties had been distributing flyers and sending anonymous short text messages (SMS), telling Kurnia's agents, customers and the public to cancel their existing policies with the insurer.

"We have lodged police reports regarding this matter and we have also reported the matter to the relevant authorities such as Bank Negara Malaysia which is the regulator of the industry and the General Insurance Association of Malaysia (PIAM)," Loh said.


The company came to know of the campaign about two or three weeks ago when its agents received the SMS and flyers.


The contents in the flyer and the SMS claimed that Kurnia was facing "problems" and warned that failure to terminate would lead to unsuccessful insurance claims.


Kurnia has lodged four separate police reports in Ipoh, Kuantan, Kota Baru and Kuala Terengganu.


Loh said he had been told the police are currently investigating the matter.


However, he added that the smear campaign had no direct impact on Kurnia's business. "Its business as usual," said Loh.


Kurnia is Malaysia's and South-East Asia's largest general insurer with premiums exceeding RM1 billion.


Loh said Kurnia is in a strong financial position with an asset base of RM2 billion.


He urged the public to ignore such messages and flyers and said Kurnia's policyholders should call its 24-hour Kurnia Auto Assist hotline should they encounter any problems.


Kurnia will start a series of advertisements soon to provide the public with better information on the company as well as to reassure its 3.5 million policyholders.

DESIDERATA: I won't comment anything but advise my ER: Please refrain from spreading rumours. If you are bold, do a Raja Petra Kamaruddin, post them up in a Blog, and be answerable and accountable. OtherVice, Cease and Desist.
I'm beginning to sound like a Lawyer, but that's Maverick's terrotry. My forte is in writHing, just as one Freeluncher, who adred to cover "Crimilising WAr" while I advocated "Crimilising Sex" and Mave took Desi seriously.

Hey, what's this life IF, full of care,
We have not time to stand and stare.
TO watch preety lasses go by,
And say: HI! and with a sigh
Come into my chamber, if you dare!


NB:
Lest someone wanna take Desi to court fro Plagiarism
Which is becoming a pasttime in Malaysian folklorism
That four lines above are influenced by WH DAVIES
who was authoring too much Leisure
under the swaying coconut tree
And Rumour has it he was thinking about Gravity
how come poets say: Til rivers flow upstream
and lovers can cease to dream?
(Challenging Einstein's, NO, it's Newton's, yeled THeels,
laws of Gravity, so gravely, gravelly. Bravely.

Foreign1:

On his first job as a newspaper reporter, Mark
Twain was told by his editor never to state
anything as fact thathe couldn't verify by per-
sonal knowledge. Twain hen went out to
cover a small-town social event and tunred in
the following story
: "A woman giving the
name of Mrs. James Jones, who is reported to
be one of the society leaders of the city, is said
to have given what purported to be a party
yesterday to a number of alleged ladies. The
hostess claims to be the wife of a reputed at-
torney."


PS: Don't take me to court for 2Plagiarism,
I need the measly reporter's pay to get my daily hi and low.
But if you ask Desi what source to quote the above Twainism,
I must submit it's from author unkwoen, perhaps a Desi-Puaper?


It's from Page 19, THE LITTLE BOOK OF FAMOUS INSULTS,
TOPPAN/PETER PAUPER TIE 1084

4 comments:

Helen said...

How can a public contract (supposedly) be classified as 'secret'? Who does the classification? A body? An individual?

BTW, the only 'glory' days I had was my FD in Supreme minus Diana Ross. 10%!

Anonymous said...

EPF declare 5.15% dividend.

While some EPF member who join annuity scheme are paying 5% administration fees(annually) to the fund manager.

Roll eye.

chong y l said...

helen:

We are living in a secret society, so SS rukes rue! Li'l Sis, Don't arse too many annoying Qs!:) BIG Bro dont liekit!:(

BTW: I like Diana Ross, even with the Supreme. I dont liekit when the Coops collapsed and many Msians had NEGATIVE returns. So comparatively, 5.15% is not badder!:)

chong y l said...

moo_t:

It's still badder than to lose almost ALL in the MCA-linked Coop Collapse -- remember ex-President Tan KS? Wella, now he and ilk 're trying to save LOST souls, riding in Mercs and what Ploton potong satu-dua!:(