My Anthem

Monday, February 12, 2007

Life is precious

But some allow Death to visit early, and darkly.

"Early" is of course a subjective term. For a housewife used to greet the sunrise at 5.00am, waking up at 6.00am is "late".
To a lazybummer like Desi used to late night 'rites, writes, writHings, waking up by 9.00am is "too early". In recent times, to scrimp on harder times, I combine BF with lunch, so starting with brunch at about 10.30-11.00am is just nice, "not too early".

"Don't set the alarm clock at 5.30AM for Desi," would be my refrain to the receptionist if I'm rooming at a downtown hotel on some lucky assignments paid for by the client. I prefer my appointment to start at 2.oopm -- I am a freelance journalist, remember? A dinner working appoitent would be heavenly, especially if the Other party also picks up the tabs. ("Tabs" I understand is slang for "bill" though I don't know its root word, or is it the short for tabulations? I'm THINKING ALOUD, something I do often nowadays since *JeffOoi's name is constantly flashed everyday.)

*If you have to ask who's Jeff, you'd better get out of hear! before I yell out: Get the hell out of here!See, Desi's not totally averse to swearing as I said Yesterday, when all my troubles...

Thank God for whoever invented the air-conditioner and the computer. My Olivetti lettera 32 is now a collectible, opening bid is 2million if there are any interested parties out dare. Moo_t, how art thee progressing in helping Desi get to that 20million?

Okay, Monday being a day of blues, I'm reacting with a C&W song which bewitched many YoungOnes, and I hope they do pause and ponder and not allow despair to overcome them. Seek out a best friend in times of trouble. Seek out a partner with soulmateship with thee. Seek out the chuirch, temple or masjid priest. If everyone fails thee, SEEK OUT THE BEFRIENDERS in the neighbourhood.

My Elusive Dreams


Artist: Skeeter Davis & Bobby Bare


----------------------------------------------

[ skeeter ]
I followed you to Texas I followed you to Utah
[ bobby ]
We didn't find it there so we moved on
[ skeeter ]
I followed you to Alabam things look good in Birmingham
[ bobby ]
We didn't find it there so we moved on
[ both ]
I know you're tired of following my elusive dreams and schemes
For they're only fleeting things my elusive dreams
[ skeeter ]
I had your child in Memphis you heard of work in Nashville
[ bobby ]
We didn't find it there so we moved on
To a small farm in Nebraska to a gold mine in Alaska
[ skeeter ]
We didn't find it there so we moved on
[ bobby ]
Now we've left Alaska because there was no gold mine
[ skeeter ]
But this time only two of us moved on
And now all we have is each other
and a little mem'ry that we could to cling to
[ bobby ]
But still you won't let me go on alone
[ both ]
I know you're tired of following my elusive dreams and schemes
For they're only fleeting things my elusive dreams
For they're only fleeting things my elusive dreams

__________________________________________________


Yes, we all have our dreams -- Child, Young, Old and growing still.
Life takes its toll on everyone -- age is no more a barrier, for 21st century life brings along more and greater stresses akong with its conveniences and gadgets because very often, the currency to these gadgets and conveniences is Money. And the lack of money drives many to the edge.
Of course, to many in the field of entertainment, the other pressure in Fame.
Success does not come easy. Yes, the goal in the far horizon -- money or fame --seems so elusive.

And maybe that's what South Korean actress-star JEONG DA-BIN was seeking too. Her elusive dreams. But at the tender age of 27, she just allowed depression to swarm all over her being, and she felt she had to seek a final resolution ....
She couldn't fulfill her dreams. She just ended it -- by hanging herself last Saturday.


An AFP report quoting the police said that Jeong, 27, had been found dead, with a towel around her neck, in the bathroom of her boyfriend's apartment in Seoul, hsving sppsrently succumbed to a bout of depression over arecent shortage of work.
Jeong, who also became a Korean pop culture star in Taiwan in 2005, acted in television dramas and movies.

Jeong's death , following that of pop singer YUNI, who was found hanged in her hiome in Incheon City on Jan 21, pending the relaese of her third album, has sparked concern in South Korea, which has the highest suicide rate of all Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) members.

The AFP report quoted NA SUN-YOUNG of Lifeline Korea, which provides a telephone counselling service aimed at preventing suicides, as saying: "I am worried that a wave of copycat suicides might follow among youths."

"Following the death of Yuni, I received many calls from young people who said they themselves were thinking about committing suicide.

"They were saying they had to die because even someone as beautiful as Yuni could not stand it and committed suicide,"
Na said.

_________________________________________________________

DESIDERATA:

While Chinese New Year is just six days away, I hope this Post won't be a mood-spoiler.No doubt, this is sombre news to chew over, but the reality is that there are some lonely and depressed people out there who would not be able to celebrate,for reasons beyong their control.
I'm pausing, and pondering, while we chase our own individual "Elusive Dreams",
have we questioned ourselves:
Are our dreams based on reality?
Are we placing our priorities right?


IF the answer is "YES" to the above two questions, you'll be alright. God bless you. You are indeed lucky.
If the truthful response is "No", then it's Time to make new Dreams.
Make? you may ask. Yes, we make dreams just as we have a choice whether to wake up Early or Late to greet the sun each day.
So also we make the kind of Dreams we wish to pursue.
Know Thyself, that's wisdom in philosophers' teachings since the days of SOCRATES.My fave poet Max Ehrmann reiterates that credo too.
I know many things.
I write aboiut many things.

But do I know myself?
I have to think more about the last question myself.

6 comments:

TH said...

It's so sombre yet I love this post. Maybe because it is about following our elusive dreams and putting priorities right that just struck me.

Happy Valentine's Desi!

Anonymous said...

read the alchemist by paul coelho.
dreams should at least appear to be elusive. reach for the stars they say.
to me, the tragedy of suicide has nothing to do with the dreams but was sadly a failure on the victims framing of their worldview.
the right attitude and tenacity is required to achieve lofty dreams, which is why many give up or change dreams.
but in giving up your dream, are you not betraying your true desire?
for what reason are we on the this earth?
to have a job to make a living? or shall we believe in a greater cause in destiny that each can create and not written in the stars?
priorities can be rejuggled but planning and flexibility are critical to success.
once you put your dream into the universe, and TRULY believe in it, doors will open where there were none, and life would transform into a journey of discovery instead of daily drudgery where more money is needed to numb the endless grind. do we fool ourselves that all is well with a new car, more expensive girlfriend, holidays, and more?
so what are u left with after all that? what would your greatest contribution be? don't get me wrong this not be an achievement of GLOBAL proportions but simply something that you've dedicated your life to...

chong y l said...

twistedheels:

I hope my 'rites have not struck thee like lightning?

Happy Valentino's GreAtings to TH too -- take the child, boy, youth or senior citizen by thy velvety hands K! This GoodEarth needs Amore blessed souls like Thee, rimeth with Glee!:)

chong y l said...

freelunch:

I like thy Reflection -- methinks you maketh a good MULAN!:)

I'm re-reading The Alchemist -- why don't you do a longer Reflection for a Times&Chimes piece?

I'm pondering your viewpoints and I like the key words "right attitude" and "tenacity".

If Desi were to go to battle of any kiund, I'd like Theels on the left, and Free lunch on the right!
I'm looking for a "bulkier" frontrunner!:):):)Not necessarily mail -- I'm gender-neutral, EQUALITY like Polygamy rights for Both sexes eh? ( I hope YOU don't get batu-ed SEremban for this song:(

Anonymous said...

I remember in 80's, young people in S.Korea go to the street.
In 2000's , Korea enjoy more open society, earn respect with their car, electronics and entertainment industry, but young S.Korean wanna play suicide?

chong y l said...

moo_t:

Modern life is too stressfool -- maybe we should go back to living on trees and play Tarzan and Jane. Monkeying around with Desi -- anyone?:)