My Anthem

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Malaysiania selling points

In Malaysia, we are born equal, but when it comes to application of the law. I'm half sure.

The Star, page N$4: (THe $ sign came in inadvertently, but somethinh tells me I should let it stand:)


Najib: I'll settle traffic fines

PUTRAJAYA:Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib
Tun Razak says he will settle unpaid traffic sumonses issued under
his name and called on other ministers with outstanding fines to do so.

Najib was responding to a Malaysiakini article which said he and
24 other ministers had not paid the summonses for several years.(Emphasis as BOLDED THUS is Desi's).

"I know about the article. I know I am at number 5. I do not
drive, it is others who do and I did not know about it.
They also did not tell me. I will settle it," he told reporters yesterday.

According to Malaysiakini, Najib's accumulated summons stood at RM7,820 for 67 fines.


DESIDERATA:

A few years back, when I was still gainfully emplyed (now freelance is considered half-lah!), I went to the Road Trasnport Department in Seremban to renew my car road-tax; otherwise, cannot drive-lah!

Being super-efficient the clerk read from his/her PC (personal computer, not police constable-lah!) and then said: "Sorry, cannot renew. You have two unsettled traffic offence summonses."

I rushed to the Police Hq (for outsiders to Peyton Place Furong, it's near the Courts-lah!) traffic section, got a computer printout at super-fast speed (Like the Inland Revenue Department, I think the Traffic Section is among the most efficient departments in NegaraKU; sorry I digress-lah!, but that's a Blogger's occupational hazard.

Long story short, I paid RM300 each -- there goes about six month's supply (average of RM100 per month!)of Haridas' tehtarik, sangat manis (then I was living an Ignorance is Bliss policy healthwise; almost said 'hellvice', but Mave and AM are always on my mind, even in a half-frivolous mode/mood/post-lah!

So asking an acadmic Q: Could I have enjoyed an automatic discount?
The DPM, after not paying for "several years"
and claiming "ignorance", would get a hefty discount!
This I can safely say based on precedents as previously
reported cases involving VVIPs cited, I believe the culprits
-- is this the right word? -- got more than 50% discounts-lah!
IMHO, they should have multiplied the fines by 2 if overdue
one year, by 3 if 2 years, etc, in an ascending order, Follow my logic?

Didn't they teach you in school that repeat offences should get increasingly
higher penalties to teach "delinquents" a lesson?

NO? Then you should have transferred to Seremban schools-lah!

You become products like Desi who paid up RM300 per summons WITHOUT ANY DISVOUNT.
Good, obedient, loyal tax-paper-cum-model citizen. Yes, Seremban-knights.




So can I ask the Road Transport Department:

How did DPM Najib's cars (I presume more than one) get their road tax renewed?
Oh, the name did not show up at your PC, ah?
I think the ACA should investigate all the 25 cases of Ministers involved -- how did they get their vehicles' road tax renewed over several years with summonses outstanding?

But who am I to suggest?
I'm just a commoner-lah!
Sorry, I have tyo stiop here, have to rush to work.
Now where's my chauffeur?


Helen -- oh, she's too faraway, in Ipoh.
Hey, Anak Merdeka, can come over to give Desi
a LIFT?
In many senses of the word-lah!

Hence, I'm not only half-sure of being equal
under the law, as said at the beginning
The other half will come IF:
hey, POlice Traffic Department,
CONGRATULATIONS for a job well-done.
Now go handcuff
one of those 24 ministers! Then I'd be fully sure!


PS: Short post as Desi has to cari-cari makan. The discourse on
Malaysia's Politics Landscape aka Epic Play on the PWTC Stage
will carry on -- Insya-Allah (God-willing), which I've been saying a lot
nowadays...Doc, what's wrong, ah? -- come Sat/Sundae. The last spelling
is a dig at any Tom, Diock and Harry who fits the bill.bell/belle/belly.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor desiderata(poorer by RM150). I got my summon poslaju(errrrr, guess who is the slow one) to me 10 months after I commit speeding offense. Compound RM300 and discount 50% for early bird.(now desi know why your are poorer by paying extra RM150)

Before getting the summon poslaju to me, I get my license renew without a hitch.

So the lesson is, don't register vehicle in small town like Seremban. You can always hide yourself in a pile of slwo data updates and paperworks in KL.

Helen said...

The morality of the story is... dun buy those German tech cars lar. Those Bavarias and Benz are too damn steady... so there is the tendency to overspeed without the driver realizing it. Come, join me and show our support to our country by driving Protons lar... You'll definitely know when you hit 120km.

chong y l said...

moo_t:

my hometown is Furong but the 2 offences wre
* My fault 100%~~one for expired road tax, just 4 days overdue, didn't notice until Trafiic hawk flagged me down at roundabout near The Star.

** *)%sure not my fault -- I passed the traffic lights near Phoenix Plazam Cheras, already 1/4-way when Amber came on (not Chia lah, the colours!), the blardy PC waved me down after the lights, summonsed me for neating Red lights. I argued with him -- you expect me to stop in the middle of the LONG stretch of no-man's land, ah? But this PC has got brains not tuiup there, but in the 'hole where the sun don;t shine --SO?
Unless you're filthy rich (which most 'straight' journos are not!) and have time/dime on your hand, you just pay-lah!

HOBSON's choice - between the Devil and the deep, Blue Sea. But no, not -- I never bribed any PC, the blardy computer may turn JAWS alive and snap my head off!:(

Moo_t: Belanja me Many Cuppa in lieu ...when I meet UP eh? Are you somewhere in Subang Jaya, where ppl are not sombong but are Jaya!:)

chong y l said...

helen:

how come you not ANONYMOUS anymore?
I left an ANNONying msg at your Place -- need to let go steam paying RM600 for one confirmed offence and another CON-offence!

And now only bro Moo_t adviced Desi how to beat those Buggers!

Helen -- you expect a church mousey journo like Desi to drive Bavaria and Benz? Me oso like you, Patrioktick wan, driving the Ploton. I hit 120km and the needle shot through the sppeedometer onto the mata-mata's eyes.:) I'm still looking for the needle...:(

Now make hay while the sun enters where the sun don't shine. Is THIS a CONtradiction? Moo_t may eluciodate us on this!:)LOL.

Howsy said...

I would like to see them doing a check for those ministers not yet collected their MyKad yet. For example, the (very silent) No.1 man in the country.

Maverick SM said...

Do your spell check, Desi! Scrubbing my eyes to figure out...

Hahaha... you are not minister and so no discount.

You talk some more, increase to $600!!!

H J Angus said...

desi

What's a traffic ticket to a speeding minister?

They have important jobs to do you know.

Maybe that is the reason they almost backed out of pushing through the IPCMC thingy.

At least AAB promptly settled his fines - the rest? Maybe looking for more discounts or ask police to "close one eye".

chong y l said...

howsy: A thorough check will show some of these dammed VIPs hold DUAL citizenship or PR (like some GEIC lah!) of a foreign land, and they yell the loudest at those not flying any/many Jalur Gemilang, YOU'RE NOT PATRIOTIC!

God, protect us from our Masters,
I say Amen very often nowadays.

PS: Came here to entertain thee after composing ADVICE poem -- tehniCe?

chong y l said...

mave sm: I have been waiting for the bell to ring -- no sign of your sexcretary belle?

RM600, no problemo; I 'rite a Chubby cheque-er, can twist and bounce wan!:)

chong y l said...

hi h j angus:

Long time no hear
hope everything's fine dear
have you been chronicling Dr M and Pak Lah
I tried to board the plane for Perth
But they showeed Desi te cruise ship's berth
Then tried to go to Europe where Dr M's headed
They gave me a rope
No Ministerial bed and bread

So I can only join Mave in saying
A Prayer
Pak Lah, Be A Leader!

So if we meet the one-eyed Jack-MP
ARSsEe if he needs some goody smack! From HJ&Desi

chong y l said...

GOoD Night Dear ALL,
The World Cup is o'er
Art thou suffering Post-ball syndrome?
Or isit Ex-PM Withdrawal Symptom?

seefei said...

aiyah...they give kiasulang special treatment. we were always and mostly checked when we drive through the 2nd link on a weekend and usually after golf. our summons are usually about 6 months old. but #@!$!$# we didnt know can ask for discount!

i guess police got to work fast cos kiasulang are scrapping their car like very fast nowadays due to fast dropping car price.