My Anthem

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Let's list'n to some...

ADVICE

Ella Wheeler Cox



I MUST do as you do? Your way I own
Is a very good way, and still,
There are sometimes two straight roads to a town,
One over, one under the hill.
You are treading the safe and the well-worn way,
That the prudent choose each time;
And you think me reckless and rash to-day
Because I prefer to climb.


Your path is the right one, and so is mine.
We are not like peas in a pod,
Compelled to lie in a certain line,
Or else be scattered abroad.

'T were a dull old world, me thinks, my friend,
If we all just went one way;
Yet our paths will meet no doubt at the end,
Though they lead apart today.


You like the shade, and I like the sun;
You like an even pace,
I like to mix with the crowd and run,
And then rest after the race.

I like danger, and storm, and strife,
You like a peaceful time;
I like the passion and surge of life,
You like its gentle rhyme.


You like buttercups, dewy sweet,
And crocuses, framed in snow;
I like roses, born of the heat,
And the red carnation's glow.


I must live my life, not yours, my friend,
For so it was written down;
We must follow our given paths to the end,
But I trust we shall meet--in town.


DESIDERATA breaks tradition today by seeking solace -- and guidance -- in poetry. Normally such adventures are for the weekend, but there's always an exception.
I do that often, conversing with Miss Poetry -- in solitude.
I may e'en speak aloud alone -- and pasersby think me queer; but why do I care?

Today I go public -- because lately I have been getting a lot of negative vibrations.
When one mixes too much with negative people who whine and sigh,
It weighs you down, and your spirit can do less with that proverbial frown.

Why do you bother to write about civil society?
People don't give a damn. It's every man for himself.
(Man: can stand for anybody and has no gender connotation -- I don't care
if some bra-less feminists want to flame me; I have better advice to follow.)

Why do you want to stick your neck out voicing the common man's woes?
Because if I don't care for my brothers, my sisters won't care for me either.


Do you earn money for your writing?
I don't yearn for money when I write.
But believe me, sometimes Miracles Happen.
I've been getting Pennies From Heaven because of my writes.
And my heart gets lifted when someone who's touched says she enjoys my writes.
Yes, when you lift up your brother and sister,
You raise yourself onto a higher plane
And you touch the sky where birds fly
You touch Freedom
And many voices speak to you
And you touch Friendship

And sometimes a lonesome stranger seeks your company
And you touch Harmony

If you're lucky you hear your (late) Mother's voice
And you touch Peace and Tranquility

But most important of all
You hear your Inner Voice

And you touch Yourself.

~~ Desi's inspired composition which started at 12.02AM, ended now at 12.24AM
Thursday, when a child born today has "far to go".
Maybe I'm that Childe.

12 comments:

TH said...

Beautiful.

And you touched Twisted Heels.

Have been keeping low key these days because I don't want to read Animal Farm again, heh. I'm still alive!

chong y l said...

Awe, it's heart thumping to log-on at 9AM to be welcomed by a P&P lad' called THeels whispering "beautiful" in Desi's hard-of-earring ears.

So my magic hands do bring relief to some sprained (w)heels, eh?
Now, now, join Desi @Anime Pharm, I play Napoleon and Thou art Sowball ...off course, we are all kicking and `live - & beaming from Da Lundun Studio of P&P.

Now, you owe me an Email. Other kayPOHciks like Helen -- pls don't ask what that's all about? Go-stan at Da Church Korner, practise TCkicks! :)
but don't sprain any heels!:(

sweetspirits said...

My inner voice whispers " Sweet "

tcz

Maverick SM said...

I touch my head and it burns... I'm sick!!!

chong y l said...

sweetspirits:

thy sweet whisper is the most sweetest of 'em all -- loaning from Da Bard's compliment/complement.

Take caresxz~:)

chong y l said...

mave sm:

I hope my poesy did NOT deliver a head punch!
It was aimed at the heels, and the heart.
Ne'er mind, go see Miss Pana-doll!:)

TH said...

I'm all lost and Miss Pana-doll wouldn't help!

Questions of the day:

What's P&P
What's TCkicks
Err..an email about ..?

Hehe. Sorry with the list of questions :)

chong y l said...

TH:

P&P1: prim/e and proper
P&P2: prose & poetry
(P&P3 like my post today, July 14: Paste&Paste!:)

TCKicks is strictly between Helen&Desi, other eehKAYpohciks, pls donm't ask, otherrvice, Desi speaks tongue-in-chic agin : GO-stan in da CC!

Email: wirtes to use for Borneo Post as I have done for several Y@A via this channel ~~~ Sab, kyels, Imran, PRose ... you wanna get onto the LIST? I get 30% CONmiss...

Anymore Qs, Theels, before I take back the PanaDoldol? LOL!
I need my AtenoLOL, so many Qs from my Y&A -- or isit IgnorantCows? Long tiome never heard from these Sarawakians -- maybe head-hunting steal!:(

Arena Green said...

Ella Wheeler Cox writes ever so beautifully .. bet we can agree on this, yes Desi?

chong y l said...

Anak Merdeka:
In fact, I agree with AM on lots of things except we are more vocal on our differences!:)

Besides Ella WC, we also like The 4 Musketeers ooops. 3 Musketeers + D*art!
I also agree that you and Helen make a good act (in concert) LOL!
We also agree we BOTH come from the Peyton place of Malaya
where they sell the best Seremban Siew Pau and Ngau Yoke Ho Fun!:)Yes or No?

Arena Green said...

Yes to Seremban Siew Pau but Ngau Yoke Hor Fun?? If moi is not mistaken, it's Ngau Lam Fun.

Also, Hakka meen near the JBA office. Don't say you dunno this one lor! :-)

chong y l said...

AM: Thy art right, I am leftist -- it's indeed and taste "Ngau Lam Fun". Need a mental Hiatus!
(Remember this 'family' opened a branch in BB KL several years back, closed shop after less than a year!)

Oh, Hakka meen, I overdosed on that since 5 years ago -- my good frens from outstation insist on patronising, I just order Barley water iced to cool down watching them eat like just out of Kajang prison!:)

Hey, want to join Howsy's theSien blog/paper or knot? He pays in pound sterling2! Then with Mave we indeed have a foursome, like in Taiwanese? band F4. Tra lala... and we do the Furong Dan-ce and Walk...