My Anthem

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bonus midday reflection: Anwar Ibrahim's Agenda...

Desiderata has spelt out his grounds on the PKR Option plus Anwar Ibrahim's Role.
From the start, I wish to reiterate what I'm promoting holds for me personally at a certain point of time -- the present -- based on the information, intelligence and the feedback I have gathered, and from personal interaction with certain parties, so my dear Readers should be advised they read such "political" pieces with both their eyes wide open lest Desi be accused of being guilty of leading peiople up the garden path. I am open to other perspectives -- nay, I am even open to persuasion that my path is wrong and misleading, but you tell me! -- so give me your views generously. Nothing you say here will be used against thee -- I am foremost a poet-aspirant, remember, now trying out some acting-politicking appearances.

I'm now reproducing, in full, one Anwar's action programme Down Under received via Email (sent by someone who knows my mind inside-out, there's nowhere to hide!) because I feel it's good to put you in the know, and let you gauge what the former DPM is up to, and the future of this man obviously trying to be a COME-BACK KID. I think the United Nations detour is just another Nicole Kidman's diversion ... if you don't know where's the relevance, go get The Interpreter and enjoy 2 hours instead of wasting time following the ongoing
Epic Play on the PWTC Stage.



July 26, 2006
Anwar campaigns Down Under


BRISBANE - YOU cannot blame Malaysia's former deputy prime minister for running for office. Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim is a politician. Running is what politicians do. The only thing that seems unclear is what office he is running for - prime minister of Malaysia or, as some supporters have recently suggested, United Nations secretary-general.
Last week in Australia, he appeared at a Shakespeare World Congress in Brisbane, on many national radio and TV programmes, at seminars on 'Islam and Democracy' at universities in several cities and in newspaper interviews.

Sample from a Brisbane newspaper: Datuk Seri Anwar's portrait emblazoned with a line from Shakespeare's The Tempest: 'As you from crimes would pardon'd be/ Let your indulgence set me free.'

The Straits Times
caught up with him at ABC TV's Brisbane studios as he posed beside an iconic riverside Australian eucalypt, and at a seminar at Queensland University. Excerpts from his range of messages:


On future plans - prime minister of Malaysia or UN secretary-general?

I'm not presumptuous about my role. I'm committed to the reform agenda. This applies to both Malaysia and the international community. I've been moving around. I've done nothing at all to plan or strategise on my role as a so-called future secretary-general or prime minister of Malaysia. But I'm just moving on, getting people to understand the reform agenda.


On some advice from his wife:

My wife tells me that I should leave out talking about having been deputy prime minister. 'That was a long time ago,' she says. 'They've forgotten about you.' I say: 'I have to remind them.'


On reports that Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed could be planning to return to power:

I know for a fact that Tun Dr Mahathir and his supporters are conspiring to put him back for one to even three years before they decide on another anointed successor. This is to my mind certainly not feasible. Not good for the country. For now, I think, (his next anointed successor) would be (Deputy Prime Minister) Najib (Razak).


On what, in Datuk Seri Anwar's view, Tun Dr Mahathir accomplished while in office:

I would give him credit, without hesitation, for the initial change and reform that he attempted to implement in Malaysia, in terms of diligence, work ethics, promoting industries, getting Malays, Indians and Chinese and other Malaysians to work together to ensure that Malaysia succeed as a model developing nation, and move towards industrialisation, better education and health services. This was his initial programme and it was quite impressive.


And the Mahathir legacy's downside?

Tolerance for corruption and cronyism (that) hurt Malaysia. He has destroyed completely all civil society's major institutions. The media was completely controlled under him. The judiciary has been completely under the thumbs of the executive. In constituencies, the outrageous plunder of votes, phantom votes. These are major crimes.


On the need for economic reform:


I helped promote the New Economic Policy agenda in the 1970s - affirmative action, poverty alleviation, of getting the bumiputeras involved in commerce and industry. But clearly, generally - seen in the context of the present - it has failed. We have used that policy to allow for the squandering of billions of dollars by the Umno elite and their cronies. We have seen the policy being abused in the awarding of contracts, privatisation, without tender, all in the name of affirmative action. So it is time we dismantled that policy and had a new programme where we encourage and treat all Malaysians as equals, while not ignoring the plight of the marginalised and the poor. A lot of Indians, particularly on the estates, are in a deplorable socio-economic shape.


On why Tun Dr Mahathir does not seem to like certain groups - for example, Australians and Singaporeans:

There has always been a subtle racist tinge in his views, first against whites. For no other reason than that he comes from that (older) generation. But I would have thought that you would grow beyond that. I'm not suggesting that our neighbours are always reasonable. I don't think Singapore has reciprocated responsibly (to signals from Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi). But notwithstanding that, Prime Minister Abdullah must be really committed to enhance good relations with our neighbours.

(Regarding Chinese), Dr Mahathir has been grossly inconsistent. Many of his cronies are Chinese. Many of his children have been working for or are being paid by Chinese conglomerates. But when it comes, for example, to enlist the support of the Malays, then he will use a subtle message that this Chinese enclave in Singapore must be taught a lesson.


On handling Proton's continuing losses:


Well, Dr Mahathir says they've got a lot of cash. And my response to that is: 'Well, yes, you have a lot of cash but you have four times (that in) liabilities.' They will have to have a real re-look at that entire policy because you are talking about issues of retrenchment, of competitiveness. I think we have to have a working synergy with some other parties overseas.


On what Datuk Seri Anwar says to the charge that he took too long to conclude that the system in which he was a major figure was corrupt:


I introduced the Anti-Corruption Act, in 1997 when I was acting prime minister. But I was chairman of a government committee on management, which covers anti-corruption, etc, five or six years earlier. What I did is on record - strong recommendations, strong rebuke against even ministers in the committee. But there was a limit to what I could pursue. If I had been tougher earlier, I would have been sacked earlier.


On whether he would rejoin Umno, given what he says is its corruption record:

I have taken this position that I'm against the corrupt leaders. I'm not against members of the party. Some of them share the idealism and agree on the need for reform. So I don't think we should preclude the possibility of continuing this engagement with the grassroots Umno members or the divisional leaders of Umno. But I must say that the issue of rejoining Umno does not arise, is completely irrelevant and I'm not prepared to accept that.


Having accepted an apology from the police chief who assaulted him while he was held on corruption and sodomy charges, would he accept an apology from Tun Dr Mahathir?

Yes. (If I met him in the street), I would say: 'How are you? How's the family?'


And his response would be?


Knowing him, I'm not too sure.


On any extremist threat in Malaysia:


You can see a lot of contentious debates between Muslims and non-Muslims, between the so-called liberal Muslims and the more committed Muslims. The undercurrents are worrying. I have suggested that Prime Minister Abdullah not allow this to drag on. From the issue of conversion to the issue of amendment to some of the provisions in the Constitution, the debates have been rancorous and bitter. It would be disastrous for the country to allow this to continue unabated.


On the so-called 'clash of civilisations' and Osama bin Laden's demands for a New Caliphate from southern Spain to the Philippines:

Osama does not have any meaningful support among the majority of the Muslims. They would like to listen to somebody who would just blast Washington because of clear frustration over some major Washington policies. (But) Osama is given undue credit and influence. If the question is: 'Do you agree with him for criticising America?' Across the board they would agree with him. 'But do you support his actions?' No.


On the 'war on terror':


We should confine our attack to those who are perpetrators of this crime of terror. You have to clearly espouse a message of moderation, the authentic version of Islam, and at the same time appeal to the international community, including the United States, not to provoke, not to make things worse.


On following Malaysia's anti-terrorism lessons:

How did the British colonial army with the Malaysians fight militant communists? With this massive campaign to win over the Malays and Chinese, give them development and say, 'Look, this is what we're doing.' And then confine the terrorists. Narrow the net. We don't include all Chinese radicals or even Chinese militants. We pick up only those Chinese terrorists who are with arms. So the people are convinced that this is a real battle against the militant communists.


On his friendship with World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz, a leading neo-conservative proponent of Washington's current 'war on terror' policies:


Paul has been a friend for decades. I say: 'What's the harm?' I agree with him on some issues. I very strongly disagree with him on the war in Iraq, and think that it's a major blunder, if not a crime. And he knows that. But to his credit, as World Bank president, he is passionate about poverty alleviation efforts. He is committed to the reform agenda on the issue of governance and accountability. And he does not discriminate against Muslim societies and Muslim countries. On the Umno website you can see them attacking me as pro-Jew, pro-West, pro-Christian. My friends in Washington say you seem quite liberal, moderate, democratic, but we hear that you're talking to PAS (Parti Islam SeMalaysia) and we hear you've had a long session in Doha with Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi (an Islamist scholar banned from the US since 1999). I said: 'Look. I discuss with the neo-cons. I'm a friend of Paul Wolfowitz. So why can't I discuss with fellow Muslims? Who are we to take such a strong position that you can't even speak and engage?'

Desi: I thank the lady mGf for forwarding the report to me in such good time. I am not making further comments except for the Intro as I feel it's best left to my EsteemedReaders to input their views first, and if I have anything to add, I would. But remember, it's okay to disagree with this Host or with the subject Anwar, for that's the essense of what civilised discourse is about -- The Clash of Ideas that we may continue to learn, and progress...

5 comments:

Helen said...

When is the next election?

AI better make up his mind where he stand as far as his political future is concern. Local or international.

But, if he's sincere in his reformation, he better stay clear of UM-NO.

Anonymous said...

A prime minister to be must always have a shadow cabinet in their mind. So who will be Anwar cabinet candidates?

Anonymous said...

About the IFC part, he is right about it. Not because the roadshow is bad but because there is way too much political "interest" over the issues.

Unless unscrupulous politikus can be confined, IFC roadshow is giving these politikus a chance to gain political capital through havoc.

And regarding PM latest speech on the issue, I think the part getting those "Putra" to help "eradict drug problem" is switft and creative move.

chong y l said...

helen:
It's anyone's guessing game, and my crystal ball is square. How about ipohlang's balls? (Howsy's included here!:)

AI has spoke a lot about the Policies and Programmes which he can puruse via PKR ONLY, not the present UMNO uless Pak Lah listens to Anwar, not Khairy which is wishfool thinking.

So he'll steer clear of UMNO -- which UMNO leaders -- ex or current -- has the guts to ask for the :dismantling of the NEP: THIS IS THER SUPREME TEST of a visionary leader. On just this primary platform alone, Malaysians must give him a chance to lead, for at the heart of the chief hurdle checking the progress of NegaraKu is the New Economic Policy extended under various guoses like National Economic Policy etc to benefit a few UMNOputras-cum-MCASuoperBumis-cum-MICCronies-cum- ....in the Q are the rest of the 12 or 13 more BN components of li'l significance, as far as UMNO is CONcerned.

chong y l said...

Moo_t:

There is a time or season for everything.
Let's just cross the bridge when we see it
withion the eye-horizon
The Oppo has not even gathered the troops yet.

Let's leave the Shadow Cabinet at PKR Hq for the moment -- I know the "Finance Minister" has been snatched away by the UN. A potential Minister of Education "deserted" back into the arms of the Establishment after releasing lots of academic hot air balloons. But I believe among the PKR ranks are a few first Woman prime ministerial material.:)

HOPE springs eternal in a poet2B's heart~~~~~ wistfoolly?