My Anthem

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Leading you into celestial flight

On a starry, starry night.

If I were England coach tonight, I would send Mickey Rooney to stand 24 in the church corner.
For a few seconds of heroics, he was sent off the field to disadvantage his team by one man less than 11-strong Portungal.

The trait that is costly to young ones who think they reign supreme just because they are riding high.
But one momentary slip in discipline cost your nation its pride.

Okay, the INTRO was writ less than 15 minutes after the crucial penalties shootout which chucked England out of the World Cup. I would surv\mised had it not for Rooney's few seconds of misplaced heroism, England would have won the match in normal time of play. But this is all academic.

And in every individual's life on transient Earth, he/she would traverse through such crosswords, well envusaged by Rober Frost in his "The Road Not Taken".

Of copurse, purported croonie Frank SINatra said it similarly in his own way -- "REgrets I have a few, but then again, too few to mention..."

Rooney won't count the last hour's "indiscipline" as one such regret, among the few not to mention...

What's today's INTER:LUDE about, Helen may ask Desi, rambling about World Cup?

My answer is that YOUTHS who think they know everything, and that they are the centre of the world, just pause and ponder. You are nothing -- just a sum total of molecules which came together in mysterious ways in complex permutations to make one a human.

So let's enoble humanity in us. Progress up the lader of civilisation than to contribute to its slide.

Today I think I see a counterpoint to that Vincent that's worshipped in Starry, Starry Night.

Interlude this wickedend is made easier because i got permission to spend it at a fellow blogger's abode .
If you enjoy philosopical rumination -- into Pericles and other Greek teachers of olde -- and what Desi has been promoting, CRITICAL THINKING, then you have a good, new cyberhome to visit (But some of you are already his oldtime guests, like Howsy who I used often as my punching bag. I beg his pardon if I overdo it sometimes -- yes, lapses in discipline on my part, but my poet-aspirant status gives me special licence, NO?

I treat tonight's interlude (night because I'm scribing now at 2.00AM with an hour inter-val before the next World Cup pa at 3.00AM) as best discussed at http://xpyred.textfiend.net; so I advise my ER to visit the host there at the post titled:"malaysians: blog this blog that for fuck?

Sometimes, one's fate in life's journey is determined by a conjunction of the constellation of stars, and when it does, the players involved normally see a natural combination of their terrestrial energies in a grand combustion that leads to an explosion of lights. It lioghts up my own horizon. I don't know about the Others whether the conjunction of the stars lights up thine?


This present lighting up actually started with a "prettty conundrum" that descended on my lundun-based friend -- NO, definitely NOT FIEND! the minor or major r/R is crucial for Desi to maintain my welcome at his place. But soon similar visitations by that Vincent counterpoint I referred to earlier incited similar experiences of the celstial kind -- and today I take the liberty to share it with my ER who did not enjoy such an appearnce on their cyber horizons.

So without further ado, with the kind permission of someone I had the pleasure of engaging in occasional "intellectual" dialogue, comes a few-days-old Post: THANKS xpyred mate again for gifting us with thy thoughts; I raise a golden goblet of tehtarik minus the sugar to thee.


"malaysians: blog this blog that for fuck?


Just my two cents for bloggers like vincent and the rest of his ilk. After reading his latest blog post here, it deserves a proper reply.

I can't for the life of me figure out why bloggers who feel people who plog are socially inert, inactive and/or stupid. For starters, you don't really know what the hell we do in real life. You don't, for example, know if we're part of NGOs or not - or even if we're members of Opposition parties (you'll be surprised at just how many are…). You don't know if we help out with church, temple or NGO initiatives. You don't even know if we're environmentally conscious or not.

You don't know a damn thing about us.

Shit, we could be part of groups planning charity drives to help out poor indians or malays in rural kampungs and estates in Kuala Trengganu, or even in my own state of Johor, but you wouldn't know that at all. The fact that we don't publicise what we are or what we do does not preclude us from actually being or doing the very things you brazenly "exhort" Malaysians to be or do.

You're assuming without warrant, and you're making an ass of yourself.

Secondly, there's condemnation and then there's puerile blindness. Condemnation of what you see is wrong is the only moral thing to do. Ploggers who seem to "complain about Malaysia" are actually complaining about an incumbent that doesn't care - can you READ FIRST before mouthing off? it's usually the smart thing to do - but unfortunately, we're blogging to an apathetic group of Malaysians who hide behind spurious excuses like "you idiots are armchair hooligans", or "you so smart you go do it lah!", or in your case, "you don't talk lah, you SHOW you can do, then talk lah!"

You sound like Lee Kuan Yew and Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore: "you want to talk, join politics. Or else, shaddap or we'll ISA your ass". Talk about repression: you seem bred to it.

Thirdly, if you don't care about Malaysian politics, I say you're committing the worst of crimes. We are all citizens, and as citizens under the constitution, responsible for the direction in which our country is heading. Your being a citizen *inherently* makes you POLITICAL. You have a duty to VOTE. You have a duty to PICK the candidate(s) you feel have the best abilities to see this country through. You have a duty to make an INFORMED CHOICE.

And making an informed choice requires that you examine all the facts, discuss them if you need to, and form an informed opinion about your candidates, not be one of those zombies staring at the screen and voting according to which party the latest Akademi Fantasia winner endorses, nor scoff cynically and deride the "Apathetic Malaysian" and vote the incumbent because "everyone's doing it".

To be politically engaged is just as important as saving vast tracks of East Malaysia from deforestation, or championing good manners in Malaysia, or inculcating good driving habits, or being a little more concerned about your neighbour's well. It's being inherently Malaysian.

Here ends the Gifting of xpyred's inter:lude borrowed by Desi -- but I advise my ER to visit the ORIGINAL and better see the BIG PICTURE with all its attendant comments, from which I took the liberty (No, not of femails!) to extract some~~~~~~~



Comments (9) left to “malaysians: blog this blog that for fuck?”

howsy wrote:

It seems that he gains attention and gratification by doing this all the time. Just Technorati for his blog and you’ll see how shamelessly he got ‘admiration’ by some blog celebs.

Posted on 27-Jun-06 at 5:00 am | Permalink

xpyre wrote:

It’s not just him, I’m thinking. It’s a whole movement supported by mutual disaffection and cynical pooh-pooh-ing because, hey, disaffection and being so gen-X is ‘kewl’. It’s disgusting.

Posted on 27-Jun-06 at 8:20 am | Permalink

sigma wrote:

Hey man, you’ve hit the nail right on the head! Like you, I absolutely cannot stand smug idiots such as that vincent. Like what xpyre said, he belongs to this group of group of youths who have this misguided notion that being apathetic and cynical somehow makes them ‘cool’. Like he’s above politics, and that everyone else who’s informed on national matters are whinning idiots.

One day, when our mono-party politics suddenly decides on passing some idiotic legislation (with ease, thanks to their 92% representation) which adversely affects vincent’s life, then only he’ll come to regret his political apathy. He and his type reminds me of the poem ‘First They Came’ by Martin Niemoller.

Posted on 27-Jun-06 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Desi to sigma: I hope you'd "excuse" DEsi for not seeking permit directly from you for "reprising" your views here.

:
:
:
(HERE I've removed the so-called counterpoint to Starry, Starry Night's protagonist
for my own privileged reason/s which my regular ER would be able to discern if they have had read my past feww days' Posts plus the comments that followed...Some were DELETED after a predetermined lifespan on cyberspace -- these were less hardy molecules!)

xpyre wrote:

@vincent: Um.. “Eh?” I don’t quite understand where you’re coming from. You seem to be saying that those who, um, participate in whatever enriching (always a subjective thing, eh?) activities never complain, nor have need to. Vincent, what’s with you and your penchant for all these sweeping generalisations? I’d like to know.

@sigma: I wonder what will happen then…

Posted on 27-Jun-06 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

:
:
:
AS host of Desi's Place, I do indeed listen to feedback from my dear ER, as I noted in the previous Post's Comments in response to spyred's ***THREE POINTS as general advice on how to meet with some occasional "Crawlies" (Desi's term, not xpyred's) who visit in the still of the night.

My dear ER -- esp mGf in awe -- reflect on an incisive piece of writing of xpyred to whom I feel at ease and in harmony at discourse -- is it because we fly as a formation of little stars (starlets then!) in the celestial sky. On a starry, starry night. You want to come join the formation?

Go visit him often and absorb the right type of molecules. In all seriousness, as this poet-aspirant has examined the atomic structure of such Beautiful Minds.



The ***THREE POINTS are reproduced here, with my response:

(xpyred wrote:~~~~~~~)

"I say let them post what they want to post. Firstly, if they have good information, or wish to clarify, it is only to everyone's benefit.

Secondly, if they are merely 'talking shit', it will show.

As far as one-liners are concerned, their brevity may hint at some wit but it is, as with all wit, ultimately vacuous.


By xpyred, at 2:16 AM


(Desi's response:~~~~~~~)

"xpyred:

thanks for taking the time to lend your thoughts here.

I agree completely with two of the three points cited here, except this "Secondly, if they are merely 'talking shit', it will show."

No doubt it bespeaks the shit's source -- but when it pollutes the atmosphere, it's not just upsetting to this host, more son my ER who are my guests.

Blogging is supposed to be a learning and pleasurable journey, but taking potshots at others (esp when the MALICE is clearly premedicated, made more venomous when thrown here in concert with other parties), Desi has great hesitation, reluctance.

Guess I'd bear your advice in mind,
and act on a case-by-case basis.
Yeah, hopefully, some parties learn in the growing up process.

What I don't have is the time to watch over my cyber-home 24; guess I'd leave it to the Almighty above to hold a watching brief, eh?

Thanks again xpyred, it has been some time enjoying a tehtarik with thee, offer thee an XtraXL one served on a golden goblet borrowed from a "silhouette" who often glides by here, minus the sugar.:)

By desiderata, at 7:58 AM "

19 comments:

TH said...

The locals left the live big screen at the city centre today with a sad look on their face. There's still Wimbledon to look forward to, I say.

Just like our parents warn us about all the bad choices in life, it is our own decision to listen or not. The more our parents say no, the more daring we want to try and be.

At the end of the day, everyone would taste the salt of their bad decisions. Not that I think we should let things be, but he has a point that he is entitled to an opinion whether we accept it or not.

I'm a youth too. Gargling some salt of mine now, it is definitely not a nice feeling.

Anonymous said...

People are deluded. Simple as that. Blogging community is so small compared to the real picture of the world. Even if you are smug in the blogging world, tell me about it, how smug can you be in the real world? And do you have the specific qualities to be a show off as well?

One should think before acting that way because it's not going to get you anywhere but will end up severely thrashed instead.

Period.

chong y l said...

twisted heels:

I'm in general agreement with thee -- except for the point "but he has a point that he is entitled to an opinion whether we accept it or not".

I have always told my ER I follow the dictum of mymentor-philosopher: "I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it."
The said subject --from not just my observation, beacsue XPYRED's piece was writ without my ever knowing it, but referred to IT by a fellow blogger Howsy based in lundun, and it saved my time and breath covering similar grounds because as I did comment at the host's, DEsi would be hapy to get his pewrmit to use thse said piece here and I APpreciate his generosity in granting it. Hey, timely was perfect because the World Cup was flowing for 90+30mins +penalty shootout(which broke many British hearts--I'm an Englrund fan too!) PLUS another 90minutes following the one-hour break which was the window of opportunity I used mainly to Cut&Paste, before my heart was dented a second time when Brazil went down -- to Portuga;l's credit, it did rise to the occasion!)

See, even in my Commments, I tend to go astray! Back to thy poit -- THeels -- it's NOT a matter of entitlement to an opinion. It's not a viewpoint on the Blog topic at all. It was a barging in to Take a ONE-LINER POTSHOTS to show he's pretty strong in HEROICS -- see my suggestive reference to Rooney's situation now?

When you're a first-timer GUEST to another person's house -- although it's Open House -- it's expected that the guests observe some decorum. Don't be that uncouth Jinjang Joe (with apologies to folks from Jinjang: I came from a neighbour called Rasah NV in Furong...) after you've undergone a reasonably high education (as inferred from his language usage...), but I don't wish to belabour the point.

A Converse puts one in truly branded company when the effluent that folows from Da Mouth are based on Da Rationale of your stands/stances -- not one line-Potshots you take at my ER. At me, I can have ample chance to reply, with my GUests, I call that Abuse. And with abusers, the only Option left is to press that DELETE button, delightfoollly!:(

After giving the said Molecules some chance of enjoying that 24 of media fame.:)

THeels, there is NOTHING Wlong in being a youth, There is nothing wlong in being a indie kid, or a sec or teriary level student, or a working adult, or a pensioner (I don't make assumptions of visitors age, gener or race or creed -- I only wish to see NegaraKU of ours proceed along the expressed (well-meaning to majority of us, my Guess, esp FAshionistA aspiring for the Elegant brands:) path of Vision 2020.

chong y l said...

kyels:

I'm hapy to have also met along my Bloggers' journey Young&Articulate youths like thee (Sab, bro Imran & Johnlee, and a few I've mentioned along My Way of 'rites here), with a level head on level shoulders who don't go barging into someone's else's terratry in uncouth ways more suitable for Conan da B's landescape. If we were paying RM9 to be entertained at the cinema nearest you, I gas it's NONE of my concern.
When it's into my terratry, I had better be concerned. Lest my BP shoot skywards, and Miss AtenoLOL is not working!:)

Anonymous said...

eh, now i abit paiseh, leh :p

Helen said...

WHere's the post wor??

Be back after I figured out what you're talking about.

BTW, Rooney DID Not deserve a RED. Yellow the most... ;-( Just look at the replay...

chong y l said...

xpyred:

I am the debtor, so paiseh is mine;
you're creditor, raise the tehtarik to you.
The rest redadin this: ADD your comments and stop wandering around the football field like the next reader, Helen, looking for the Goal posts.

Hey, my dear ER, the main post is "malaysians: blog this blog that for fuck?" loaned by *xpyred.
Visit him at his Abode-lah, then you see both trees and the forest!

chong y l said...

helen:

Did you clearly see Both England and Portugal,ah? And the Referee too, sending off Rooney, you think it's NOT fair, isIT?

What I'm saying is that Rooney should have restraineds himself -- pushing Ronaldo was what DID him in, being SENT OFF!

PS: Did you see a blue-vested chinakueh there rooting for Engrund, brudder Howsy dressed Desi UP in the cartoon attire, NOT red, but blue -- Keadilan color remember, 4Justice!)

Now go read the main Post entitled: "malaysians: blog this blog that for fuck"; you are entitled to expresing Blogosphereic topical views besides footsie and pretty bo Beckham yes!

Helen said...

What is the core issue here?

1) The thought/belief/opinion of an individual?
(which differs)

2) The veracity of the person's belief? (The truth of the matter..)

For example:
Let's say... I said, "Rooney sucks". THis is my honest belief so, I said it. Other people who think that Rooney doesn't, is upset. And I get bombarded for my belief.

Those who bombarded me, gotta ask... Why do they bombard me?

1) Because I am wrong?
2) Or becos I shared a different view? (and voice it..)

If the reason is (1), then arguments should be addressed to the issue in hand. Why Rooney does not suck..... I don't think it's right to attack the person and question his belief.

If the answer is (2), then, the word Demoracy is indeed a foreign word...

Maverick SM said...

Don't talk England lah.. Rooney, also don't talk... Beckham, also don't talk. Brazil also gone what! Vote Germany lah! Throw your support. I? I support Ivory Coast..sudah gone.

imran said...

Desi,

What has been said pratically sums up every young aspiring blogger who wants to blog about issues without fear of being labelled as attention seekers or fame whores.

Although we may be young, at least we are open and willing to listen to both sides before coming to our own conclusion. How many of us are willing to do so? Most of the time we tend to do what we are told to do rather than to follow our conscience.

But then if our role models, the people whom we should look up to blatantly disregad this rule, what does the future hold for, the young towering Malaysians? What kind of example are they settig?

The case of apathetic Malaysians saddens me. This is our country, we have every right to question, although the elegent silence is deafening. Just because we do not aspire to be politicians, that does not mean we should not have ignore the issues that are being put forward and being thrust down our throats.

Arena Green said...

Helen has a valid point. Does it mean that if we do not agree with the blogger, we have no business putting our comments on his blog?

chong y l said...

helenm& anak merdeka refer:

No, neither of the 2 points raised by you.
I suggest you read the original exchange at Xpyred's, link yourself to the SAID SUBJECT referred to. Then GO BACK to my first news break on Petronas net profits; the SAID SUBJECT barged inot the subject riding on his friend's two liners (introducing another subject with annuendo Labelling Others) WITH A ONE-LINER that straightaway makes him an UNWELCOME guest as far as I AM CONCERNED because it was his FIRST VISIT HERE and ALREADY SPOILING FOR A FIGHT. I "reprised" xpyred's Post perecisely (as Commenter sigma also said, "Hey man, you’ve hit the nail right on the head!" as the same conclusion came up for Desi.

chong y l said...

helen: The world Cuppa and rooney came up as an INTRO as a sort of Appetiser as I know some of my ER (yes, you and sisdar Anak M. were on my mind) would be following the series like a Hawk, not that I'm suggesting you cann fly, but still a possibility you fellas might "fry" Desi, for raising the subject of Rooney and gettinbg out of line. I take back that criticism -- IF I can go back to the future, OR to me, go back to the PAST, I would , to enable Rooney & mates to have a second chance to "turn" to match against Portugal around! I think I'm adding to your confusion; and you two might not even adherents to this philosophy.

chong y l said...

mave sm:

Ivory Coast cos you're from Ivory Tower, kan? (I was tempted to sperr this word with a "c", but your good 3M mate is around, and I undertand, like Catherine Zeta Jones, she's below the Age of Content! LOL!

chong y l said...

imran:

Maybe you have NOT DETOURED to read Xpyred's vis-a-vis Xchanges with the SAID SUBJECT, I was merely another PLayer caught in what the Americans would call "COLLATERAL DAMADE", but an "unwilling and protesting" one.

The question of a Y&R losing an audience for his/her views DOES NOT ARISE in this round of discourse.

Maybe IF DESi has the resources of RPK, he could organise a DEBATE and charge for attendance. AAA-TEAM vs AAB+ (someone here used this term wr to Desi, but I don't understand YYY either...)

mGf missing in Action for decades, where have thee gone for Hiatus. Looking for Sabrina in the Perthian Haze. I'm hAPi she's found, still in ONE peace!:)

chong y l said...

PS and Sabbie too: you both give me the SAME problem; when I LOG IN ......blogsome.com, it leads me to the DEFINITION of what blogsome is, not thy abode. Art thou declaring Desi persona non gratis?

Helen said...

I went to Starry place and read his posting b4 I commented here. I dun see there is anything wrong with 'blog this blog that for fuck?'

This is your blog. You of course have every right to take down any comments you feel 'offensive.' There is no issue here.:-)

chong y l said...

helen mui-mmui:

I know Barzil's and Engrund's crashes affecte you, also Desi. You are 100% RIGHT! ~~~ "I dun see there is anything wrong with 'blog this blog that for fuck?'

Now thy challenge is break DDC: what is the Counterpoint to Starry, Starry Night?


* If still noT sober enuff because of Greenie influence -- no drink Hak Kau eh?, 'rite to Desi via slwomale-lah!
Can NOT give dilect answer wan, afterwards BOTNof US wan dan, there's no more fun-d!:(