My Anthem

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Both sides now ... to any story

As a journalist who had served in both mainstream and alternative media, plus a considerable period in public realtions (which hence overlaps some advertising), I know for certain that any issues of contention would have at least two sides of the story.
Some complex stories involve thre or more parties each fighting for space for their stories to be told.
And when Business is involved, the "purchasing power" is a telling -- if not the controlling -- factor.
And when Politics is involved, Big Brother, without fail -- for better or worse, normally the latter -- always reigns supreme. I won't go into detail because this is not Journalism 101, it's more advanced.
Two items, with extracts reproduced below, follow -- surprisingly only carried by TheSun, Jan 5, 2006; I don't know why the NST and TheStar avoid them. Is news concerning Media anathema to some media? I wonder. Wandering ...)

*Page 2:
Two editors take rap
for ear-squat report


PETALING JAYA: The top two editors of China Press
have decided to take the blame for its Nov 23
(evening edition) nude squat report which wrongly
identified the victim as a Chinese national.
In a company reshuffle, editor-in-chief Chong Choong
Nam
is redesignated as personal
assitant to Nanyang Group chairman Tan Sri Wong
See Wah and executive editor-in-chief Ng Siew Peng is
now special projects manager.
The reshuffle follows two show-cause letters, dated
Jan 19 and 29 (sic, though Desi thinks
should read Dec 19 and Dec 29?) from the Internal Security
Ministry asking the second latrgest circulation vernacular
newspaper to explain the inaccurate report.
According to company insiders, China Press in its
replies to the show-cause letters explained that the
second paragraph of the report clearly stated that
it could not be confirmed whether the woman featured
in te video clip was one of the four Chinese nationals
who had alleged police excessiveness while in detention.

DESIDERATA asks dear ER to spend 30sen to read the whole report -- or run to the nearest 7ELEVEN store for a freebie (Do so for next four consecutive days and then buy Desi a tehtarik on thy savings. Yes, church-mousey feelan writers can also be
as cheap-skate ... I didn't realise skates are cheap, I thought it's a luxury item as during my younger days, we ran around bare-footed ... some are luckier being less inhibited, they ran around naked...nude is the right word, but they didn't squat, the teachers did not no they were 'loud.:)


The second item is longish (hence my appeal to ER to spend RM0.30 or go ...ne'er mind, Desi's getting long-winded and on some mGf' nerves ... may land up in court for testing their patience ... is there such a provision on Animal Farm's leguislation? I must ask George ... Or, well, he's engaged, the other court!

** Page 4,
See Hua sues AC Nielsen
Company: Results of survey commissioned by
rival paper not valid; business affected


PETALING JAYA: It may only be a defamation suit but
the outcome may have major repercussions for the
advertising and media industry.
Sarawak-based See Hua Daily News Berhad, which
publishes the Chinese See Hua Daily News.
has filed a suit against AC Nielsen (Malaysia)
Sdn Bhd and several others over a survey of
Chinese newspaper readership in Sarawak.
See Hua claims that it was defamed through readership
figures collated and released by research firm
AC Nielsen (M) and is seeking an injunction to
restrain the company and another newspaper,
Sin Chew Daily News, from further publication
of the readership figures.
In a writ of summons, See Hua contends that a
telephone survey of only 4,000 Chinese carried
out by AC Nielsen in the survey specially
commissioned by Sin Chew is "not valid and/or
reliable".


Just end with a familiar refrain -- does it have connection or bearing with aforesaid items? I really don't know l've, at all -- which applies in many spheres of adult -- or adulterated -- life. I wish I could remain more idealistic in my Writing Vocation, but sometimes Clouds got in my way...


BOTH SIDES NOW
Judy Collins
(a new rendition currently rules the airwaves.
See, Desi's updated in other areas beyound just, jest writing,
Trumpet sounds to a crescendo.)



Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way
But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done

But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall

I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
When every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way
But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughin when you go
And if you care don't let them know
Don't give yourself away


I've looked at love from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall

I really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say, "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way
But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
But something's lost but something's gained
In living every day


I've looked at life from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall

I really don't know life at all

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice rendition to me Desi!

How are you? Well, I am here going nuts. My first paper will be on Monday... o.O

dreameridiot said...

Shocked. Angry. Sorrowful. Three words to describe how I feel about what happened to those two editors.

Far from further democratisation and greater rights of the rakyat, I see a dangerous downspiral in the arrogant concentration and consolidation of powers, the death of thoughful criticism and opposition - a government for itself.

What a way to start 3006...

dreameridiot said...

Sorry, maybe I overacted...really upset with the ways things are done in our beloved country lately

chong y l said...

kyels:

staedy as she (LIfE) comes.

you'd be 'rite! cos I "peeped" by and you have a "love-current Bf or once-upon-adime-luv" hot, hoot discussion going on ...

When people have time for L'VE, they'll be scoring well in exams; Desi does not say so, 'tis the LIVER! Besta Lucka:)

chong y l said...

dreamer i.

no need apologies here man.
we like spontaneous -- like fire, Idealism must burn in order to spread... bor, you're okay.

Also, I like thy optimism - 3006, eh?
Dorian Grayism from Desi must have infected you, which is gooder than best!:)

Happy start to a new year for US, that's important, as I'm less ambitious than thee, wanna L'VE to 110, about 0ne-tenth of dreamer's not idiotic...:)

chong y l said...

dream I:

thy "errata" is contagious2, tho minor, Desi must find time to put ON RECORD, Bro, in plcae of 'bor" in foregoing, sounding very legalistic here. Digressing -- you know why lawyers like to bore us with legalese? So we are always guessing what they mean, go back to them for consultation, and "time" fee goes up. So I'm goin' tell you the story about the millionaire wishing to get a law degree at his deathbed ...ah, betyter stop, may get sued, and my other name is not Susie!:(

imran said...

Desi,

Nice rendition.That makes (two) of us who really don't know love at all. As usual it takes a paper like The Sun to highlight the real news.

I'm afraid that soon the press will no longer have it's deserved freedom, and it will become the medium of the spin doctors of the government. Then who are we going to turn to to highlight the REAL issues?

chong y l said...

hi bro Imran:

hope you've settled in nicely at new nest!

Oh, the latest is the Duo Had Resigned from China Press!
See the injustice of it all!
Peiople who performed their duties -- might have made an 'honest mistake' ie no malice --they pay a high price!

Blundering, bungling ministers, MBs and watevers, they live on, and on ...sucking our Blood, sweat and Tears.
I haer Sabrina crying ...bu the tears won't come. :(