My Anthem

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Learn to speak well before politicking

I have an advice for some Malaysian politicians: Learn to speak well before politicking!

I was a little upset recently reading about a certain Malaysian deputy minister calling on fellow Malaysians to protest the Japanese government's so-called "re-writing" of history by playing down past atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers in China during World War II, and also to protest Japan's candidacy for a seat in the United Nations' Security Council.

I had the misfortune of attending a press event when this particular deputy minister spoke in English. His grammar and enunciation were so bad I was inclined to cover my face that such a leader was appointed to represent us. He could not even deliver sentences coherently reading from some text. I couldn't imagine how he could carry himself when visiting Japan, or any foreign country for that matter when the English language would be the language he would use -- as English is universally accepted as the lingua franca of diplomacy -- to sell his line or message abroad using this international language.

Yes, my hair would tend to stand to attention each time this so-called national leader appeared on television speaking English. Even his Bahasa Malaysia was not that up to the mark expected of a representative of the people, though I reserve comment on his Mandarin (which seems to be his major strength linguistically speaking), though I consider myself quite understanding in that language but that is definitely not my forte.

My contention is that this leader should not have a priority posturing on the Japan-China issue just because it was the flavour of the month. Furthermore, was he speaking as a Chinese leader or a Malaysian leader? Because as far as I know, the Malaysian government had not taken a well-publicised stand on both issues.

(Here, I am not to debate the merits and demerits on the stands taken by Chinaand Japan on an issue that saw mounting confrontations, still being staged in China and Japan, as well as Japan's fight for the UNSC seat.)

What I am saying here is that such leaders should prepare themselves well in terms of mastery of the languages they are commonly going to use, on a daily basis, to discharge their duties. Hey, take time off for some English classes, both theory and practical. I just wonder if he has any competent press secretaries to advise him?

Otherwise, young Malaysians would have a very poor model of what represents good leadership. If one plans to become a politician, especially to be serving in the Cabinet, please prepare in acquiring basic skills like language mastery and public speaking. Mastery of oration -- in whatever language, especially in English -- reflects on the quality and critical and logical capacity of the speaker's mind, and hence oratory skill is definitely one of these essential tools. (Senior citizens too are embarassed each time this leader opens his mouth to address public functions, but I'm more worried for the present youngsters who will form the pool for our leaders of tomorrow.)

Did the deputy minister's speech-writers do their job well or at all? I think he'd better conduct some interviews soon to recruit some good apprentices for this critical job. Well, I'm offering today's advice pro bono, as my nation's image is at stake, and I want to reduce the incidence of further embarassment which sometimes I can't avoid sighting as long as this VIP remains a public, national figure.

I suspect his stand on these two issues amounted to "mere politicking" to garner support of a particular community. We can do less with such chauvinistic politics. No, Mr (deputy) Minister, you've got thy priorities wrong. If I had Donald Trump's power, I would add: You're fired!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would like to say that this truly reflects how poor the standard of English is in our country. young people tend to speak English with a Malaysian twist, and it's particularly embarassing when you hear them carry the same connotations overseas!

chong y l said...

As my piece touches only on a deputy minister, here I nore that I had also met some excellent Malaysians who speak Queen's English, but they are a vanishing breed. Just taking "journalists' copies (their raison d'etre is the communication skills, both oral and written) as an example,based on my experience, there are definitely a big number who could not write a decent 100-word news report, what more a 1000-word or lengthier feature.
My lament is that we inherited a powerful base for te English language but politics/nationalism? got in the way and we saw it wither away, and a half-about-turn a few years ago would not see us catch up with countries like Singapore, India who know a good and precious thing when they see one.
To young Malaysians like you, Sabrina, my word is: Self-improve and learn as much as much wherever you are -- evn the fools have a lesson there to share.

chong y l said...

Oops, last line ... a much as possible (NOT much!... ). I'm sure the other obvious typos are easily discerned by my intelligent readers.