My Anthem

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

IF

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do, I saw it thru without exemption ...

These morale-boosting lyrics, sung the inimitable Ol' Blue Eyes way, were over our airwaves for a substantial period to the extent that many Malaysians -- promoted or misled by RTM -- believed that then Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad was a great fan of Frank Sinatra's anthem -- My Way. Even now I'm not sure whether it was myth or reality because I had occasion reading the contrary regarding this perception. Well, never mind, as my post relates more to the message than the fans, though the latter are important, the message remains paramount.

The refrain always brings to my mind Robert Frost's famous The Road Not Taken, often erroneously referred to as The Road Less Travelled. Quoting here the last four lines:

Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

All of us, without fail, would have on certain occasions paused and wondere IF certain significant decisions we made in the past could have been varied, and the consequence, and impact on our present and future would have been another story.

Yes, it often gives rise to Regrets, I've had a few... Hopefully, it's like in the song, Too few to mention...?

We know that when Frost referred to the dilemma of selecting which road to proceed on arriving at a fork or any crossroads (of Life), when one had to choose only one of two (sometimes more) paths, it represented not just the physical paths we encountered in a walk through the woods (which indeed inspired Frost's composing while taking one in the countryside in England with a close friend). We make life-changing decisions when faced with crucial moments, for instance, after high school: is it Science or Arts. or maybe pursue a professional course in Law, Accountancy, or Medicine? Or perhaps, join the nunnery, or go wandering with the waywar wind?

Or after working for some years. the prospects of a new job appears -- do we dare accept the change in career at mid-life? Whatever the decision, the person pays the price for a "wrong" decision, or reaps the reward for the "right" one. But who's to know the future? As I said in an earlier post, Man porposes, God disposes.

That's why, "regrets" in life we will always have a few, but life is too short to be wasted on futile questioning of what could have been.

Now I continue with inTEGRITY, yesterday's post, relating to the face-off between two educated in law, Jenny moving on to corporate legal practice, and Kelly to the armed forces, different paths taken, different destinies, and now at a CROSSROAD, to be determined by their own abilities, and depending on one man's decision, the Don's.

I've noticed that all the 16 participants of Season 2 were excellent communicators, that means the mastery of the English language was a pre-requisite to qualify to even taste the shortlist, and I salute everyone of them. As I said yesterday, maybe Kelly had some winning edge in his humilty to admit mistakes, and the discipline to demonstrate consistently the integrity of his leadership and decision-making. But this doesn't in any detract from Jenny's equally impressive leadership and other human skills, save the judging, including a live audience feedback via their applause, was in favour of the military-trained Kelly.

On the way to becoming the much coveted (second) Donald Trump's Apprentice, Kelly Perdew had in his own recollection of the long journey of challenges, and many twists and turnings, said that he had practised a principle consistently to fight his battles, to always "remain cool and collected, while others are getting edgy and unnerved by the mounting crisi". Yes, a poet after my own heart, Kelly quoted the counsel given in Kipling's IF:

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings -- nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

(Here desiderata reproduces only the concluding portion. Don't just depend on me --thou shan't become a parasite! -- go read the full poem.)

7 comments:

Sabrina Tan said...

what about Keats' Endymion? I thought the first stanza was good as well...in Book I I mean...

chong y l said...

Hi Sabrina:

Maybe you can quote the stanza, or more, from Keats' poem to enlighten us. Other readers too, feel free to share with whatever you think relevant for discussion; the more is the merrier!

In fact, desiderat also invites dissenting views, for that's the heart of democratic discourse and lends to livelier debates, where participants should not fear the clash of minds, right?

Sabrina Tan said...

I came across this poem while reading one of the contemporary authors' ( Victoria Clayton) book entitled Dance with Me.
I suggest reading that book due to her vast knowledge of English Literature which she incorporates into the book very well.
Anyway I digress....
John Keats has 3 books of Endymion and this is from Book I

ENDYMION -- John Keats
A THING of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o’er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
’Gainst the hot season; the mid forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven’s brink.

chong y l said...

Hi Sabrina:

Your posting reaaly is nostalgic, reminds me of those times of "Splendour in the Grass" and the wanton days of youth and unfettered ramblings when I penned poems of halcyon days.(I grew up in two ulu villages!)

Later I progresed to seeking the less tangible, with Truth always the elusive dream escaping me msot of the time; I'm still chasing, more realistically and measuredly -- and I share with Readers the following:

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,'- that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
John Keats Ode on a Grecian urn, 5.

Anonymous said...

With so many paths to choose from throughout lifes journey,yes regrets i have a few but that makes me human.

I"d like to share this Shakespeare sonnet xxx

XXX.

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear times' waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unus'd to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanish'd sight:
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor'd and sorrows end.

chong y l said...

Hi sweetspirit:

Always a pleasure to receive such sweet replection for sharing. It really lifts my spirit to hear from thee, fellow spirited poetry lover.

Life's journey indeed has many stories to unfold
Some of woe, others of cheer.
Let's toast to a life well lived
If you're at hand, I'll hand thee
two glasses of beer,
One to compliment fair Sabrina dear.

Sabrina Tan said...

thanks ylchong! very much flattered ( speaking with an English accent here...) :)