My Anthem

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesdays with Morrie, Thinking of Civil Society

I re-read Mitch Albom's TWM to understand myself and my journey called Life better, learning from a discerning elder who was generous to share before breathing his precious last.
I am also moved to think of Civil Society in Malaysia, and sometimes my blood pressure goes up.

I wish to cite a fictional anecdote to demo my point. Okay, to be honest, it's not all fictional, just that I must mask the Players' identities so I won't be sued as I can't afford to lose whatever I have, or plan to have by the time the suit gets to court. This is from a Malaya episode. A second Malaysian episode will follow,if thou be patient!

The story, in screen-play form:

A neighbour organises a kenduri to celebrate his daughter's wedding, and sends out invitations to the people he regards as friends. One Taiko in the neighbourhood feels insulted he did not receive one. The invitation, not the bride.

Puffing and heaving at the happy Dad's frontdoor, TaikO arrives with three saikos.

TaikO: Hey, you there, old man, why you no invite me to your daughter's diner? Why Sochai and Lengchai got invite, I no wan?

Dad: Eh, do I know you, ah? You my daughter's ex-BF, ah? Mui-Mui invites Sochai because he was schoolmate, mah. She invites LengChai because cousin, mah. Who are you? I dunno you-lah!
(looks at TaiKo's red shirt, hge gold chain around his neck hardly visible because of accumulated dafts...)

TaikO: So you tink I no impotant in this village, ah? Kau tim this cokky fella! (Pointing to his three balding saikos, dressed in similar red shirts with uneven collars and shirt sleeves half-rolled up to unequal lengths right and left.)

SaikO1: (Twisting Dad's arm)...Why you show no respeck to my TaikO? Wanna die, izzit?

SaikO2: (Pulling the hands of Dad's bride-to-be)... Come here, Lenglui, give TaikO a hug to show you are solly!

Dad: Mui-Mui, don't. These village idiots have no real balls, bully gals only.

SaikO3: (Punching Dad's face, as Mui-Mui rushes to Dad's side)...You shuddap! Idiot!

Mui-Mui: My Dad is right. You people have no balls! Bully young gals and old men only!

Just then, Dad's son armed with a shot-gun appears from the kitchen.

Dad'sSunny: Now you bastards, wang pak tan. I count to ten and you badder get the hell outa here!
One, two, three ...

Before reaching the lucky umber 8, TaikO and SaikOs all became Whatkos, slithering out into the nearest bushes and river.

************************ Inter-mission ******************

Come back for aMore later, if this Host is in the mood, Okay!

A matsalleh expatriate was driving his car "unrushed and unsure" along Jalan Rasah, out of Furong headed for the outskirts. He sometimes comes to PeytonPlacesque Seremban -- where Desi hydes! -- from wolfish Koala Lumpuh, and he thinks he has peace on his mind away from big bad wolfish capital city of Malaysia...

Suddely he (MSexpat) hears a "bang" as a motor-cyclist on a huge bike passes his rickety car, and here follows the episode 50 years later -- now in this proud nation called Malaysia -- from the first episode in Malaya. Note MR stands for Mat Rempit, not mister!

MR1: Hoi, gilake? Driving like bullok kart! If no kuasa to go, don come to Malaysia-lah, we advanced cuntry!

MSexpat: I'm sorry. I don'tknow this place well. I therefore drive slowly. I hope you understand... I just came from KaYel.


MR2: Heh, you stupid mat salleh -- don tok to my fren like that. You banged your car to ask move faster -- you blokking our way-lah!

MSexpat: I'm sorry. As I was saying, I am not familiar ...

MR1: Don say sori, sori-man. Just make way when you hear us horn-lah. You deaf, ah?

The two Mat Rempit block Mat Salleh Expat's car...

MR2: (moves to MSexpat's side, as the latter winds down window)... Get out you stupid man, let me see you got licence or not!

MSexpat: (rolls down car-window, waves hands in exasperation)... I don't want to quarrel with you guys. Let me move on...

Luckily a Polis patrol car arrives at this moment, waves the Mat Remit away, who move on ahead roaring their huge bikes with narry a care in the wolrd. No, the MR did not receive any warning from the men-in-blue fro bullying a foreigner who is a Guest Worker in Malaysia, heading towards Developed Nation status in 2020. The MIB wave to the shaken MSexpat who also moves on ... gostans at the next Shell station, heads back to B'g,B'd, Wolfish Koala Lumpuh...


DESIDERATA: The above is to illustrate that while certain parts of Malaysia can boast the most canggih physical infrastructure -- PETRONAS TWIN TOWERS, Palace Of Justice in Petrajaya -- that rival developed nations like USA, UK and any European country's, the people's mindset in 2006 isn't much different from then Malaya before Independence in 1957. Hence , I sigh, and wonder where have we as a nation gone wrong is the last FIVE LONG DECADES?

Come 2020 in 12 years, I believe Desiderata would be still writing his Laments of a half-broken spirit? I hope not. 'Cos post March 8, 2008 there is some glimmer of HOPE at the end of Jalan Rasah, Seremban. I see CHANGE.

*************************** Another Theft *************************

From a sweetspirit Down Under...

"Could we but draw back the curtain, that surrounds each others lives, see the naked heart and spirit; know what spur the action gives; often we would find it better, purer then we think we would. We would love each other better, if we only understood. "
Author Unknown :) from nigh Redhead Beach?

No comments: