My Anthem

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

First they came ...

I paid a belated catchUP visit with saiko's Screenshots @jeffooi.com today, and I think it timely to remind us of a little poem attributed to:

"...Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.

"[edit] History
An early supporter of Hitler, by 1934 Niemöller had come to oppose the Nazis, and it was largely his high connections to influential and wealthy businessmen that saved him until 1937, after which he was imprisoned, eventually at Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps. He survived to be a leading voice of penance and reconciliation for the German people after World War II. His poem is well-known, frequently quoted, and is a popular model for describing the dangers of political apathy, as it often begins with specific and targeted fear and hatred which soon escalates out of control.

Wikipedia has a collection of quotations related to:
Martin Niemöller if your interest goes beyond what's currently of relevance to Malaysians, especially the Blogging community:








[edit] Poem (1976 version)

Original

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.


Translation

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.


DESIDERATA: Visit also rockybru.blogspot.com and howsy.blogspot.com for aMore ... I did not intend to Post new stuff but the recent actions against fellow Bloggers against Sdr Nat Tan and Raja Petra Kamaruddin are turning points too important not to put on record, and we Bloggers must continue to stay informed and vigilant so that we are well equipped to face the real enemies -- from within and without.

MEANWHILE, I heed my regular verse-loving MadMonk's counsel and retreat for another SE7EN DAYS' R&R and Reflection as I am now about 70% back to normal pinkish health. Drink lots of H20, okay as compromise, I drink more fruit juices and plain water doesn't appeal to Desi!:)

"***Desi,

Take rest,
It's your best,
Don't worry,
You won't be sorry,
There a season for eveything,
It's rest and rest, and not think,
You will be fine,
Later you will find,
The world can go by,
Health, money cannot buy,
Just take it easy,
Be lazy,
You will be tip-top,
Busy before, now you just stop,
Sleep and rest, my friend,
Be well soon, my friend.


madmonk

By Anonymous, at 7:11 PM *** "



My Chronicled experience offers some lessons to share: Eat more vegetables -- yes, YL has been a lover of red meats like kambing curry (meet Desi at Lingam's Curry House, anyone?); weekly con BF of lamb or beef chop and double spread of peanut butter on French toast! -- Mates, you add to the menu:)

Yes, find time to R and R and Reflect.

Till then Chow! Chow as in "See You", also someone chicky from Ipoh says it can be an invite to "Let's Eat"!:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Desi,

Like you I am a fan of meat, so much so that I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure at my tender young age of 31 years!

The good doc prescribed me lots of G&G....greens and gym. If not i'll have to take meds.

So when do we eat?

chong y l said...

sdr imran:

we eAt when you are back in PJ -- I'm game from sext weak!:)

hey, less meats Okay, more veges and fruits. we want to see 2070 -- maybe by then PKR rules! -- 50-year plan added to V2020.:) Optimistic and knotty as aweways:):)

Helen said...

Is there any chow restriction? Soft diet?

Hope that wont' make you soft. lol

chong y l said...

Chow yuen fatt-i?
I graduated from soft to medium hard foods;
No, roast lamb or beef satay; PakGOODteh also must wait --
butt Ipoh pastries-cum-pleasantries welcomed
DHL please do NOT use semi-V lembukart serbis; Desi may kolapz waiting 1-1/2 ternag bulan ...:(

Keep WellA, ipohlang
we'll meet 1/2 in KL/PJ agin SO-on.
Miss Patience is oso virtuous:):)