My Anthem

Thursday, January 25, 2007

RIP: van Winkle

RIP: VAN WINKLE: "Life is a fairytale..."

THis morning finds Desi in HI-spirits, so I am taking a dig.
If I were to spell it DICK, someONE may complain it's against the Multimedia Media and Communications Act under some sub-section defining "decency", so I shall not test the unchartered waters.

Frankly speaking, so many Malaysians have been taking digs at the thre-year-old Prime Minister, honouring him some fairie-airie titles as Sleeping Beauty,and ah, yes, RIP van Winkle! Dare I add: More Talk, No Walk aMore...

The title is of course an adaptation of the character famusly cooked up by one American who woke up from deep freese after the land mass suffered from global warming and he told a wondrous tale of his perfect vision of his motherLAND. The stress in NOT on MOTHER cos she's transient -- like YOU and Desi who's not important to be honoured by Time last year as PERSON OF THE YEAR -- and the land is permanent. Unless some "small" politicians of Port Klang ribbed as DZ think they can take it along when they retire to EqualLand about two metres underground.

Now, where am I heading?

Yes, it's premature to hang the sign: RIP.
Van Winkle is not about to go away. He may be having forty winks, or even eighty, but do not be missled. Even the sleeping China of a dragon finally woke up. Yes, RISE IF POSSIBLE is the opther apt definition.

And in the Malaysian scenarion, the PM has stated clearly from LONDON in an interview with the BBC:
I'LL RUN IN NEXT ELECTIONS

Dont be kedekut-lah, the oil price at the pump won't rise in near futyure, trust Desi! Spend RM1.20 and read in in the People's Paper, page N6.

Okay to those quite nigh to bankruptsy, though I know you feign it, one Amore line:

"There is a lot of work to be done, says Pak Lah in BBC interview".


Oh, yes, I'm planning a trip to The Chinese Assembly Hall tomorrow because I hear they serve good free: NO, can't be lunch at 8.30PM! Neether, nayether SpecialBrunch, Cos that's only available at PeaceHill. POETRY, SONGS and PERFORMANES. "from F1 to f4" I here, and don;t ask me to elabiorate on what f4 is. That would be testing That Act agin!

Why am I in such HI -- LO, and Behold -- spirits?
I don't know myself, maybe:

It's 'cause Spring is in the Air,
Soon to be followed by May
Dare I confess to say
Yes, many Y&A Malaysians were born that month fair
And the Government of the day
Has to decalre: May Day! May Day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CUT&Paste from
2020freelunch.blogspot.com~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dear ER of freelunch:

(I share a poem I composed after attending a Ceramah by Sdr Anwar
Ibrahim at Port Dickson on May 31, 2005 at 9.00pm ...

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

May Day! May Day!

From January to April
A writer can scribe on whim and fancy.
But when May comes around
The Muse and Inspiration abound.


I sauntered from civil to political sojourns,
Often it sinks the spirit amid woes and mourns.
The politicians preach but do not walk the talk
Expecting the Citizens to swallow all their poppy-cock


This month of smooching the magic of May,
I try to write of happier and optimistic days.
Still I meet more and growing dismay,
Yet I try best, crafting my poems in positive ways


But the past 30 days or so,
Did not instil in me much besides sorrow.
Fellow Malaysians question what's in for the morrow,
To survive now -- need to beg, steal or borrow?


DearFriends, don't ever fall into any Illussion,
That our troubles will be over through wishing and
patience.
We need a GamePlan, we need a Leader with Vision,
SomeOne prescribed V2020, yet the Rakyat stagger on
false medicine.


World petrol prices go up, logically it's good cheer
for Malaysia,
We earn more from our oil resources, but They make our
petrol costlier.
Pak Lah promised a cleaner, more accountable
administration,
But after a year and six months of honeymoon, it's
growing frustration.


So it's not happy days in May,
It's more like May Day, May Day!
The only option now is for People's Power,
For grassroot democracy to once again flower.


So dear one, somewhere find time to ponder
Don't leave the Quest to others, and just wonder.
On this significant date of May the thirty first,
SomeOneSpecial in Port Dickson is quenching some
thirst.


Regards,
--DEsi-YLChong
PS: FL, now you must bye me Dinner by PD shore
I'm Msian Oliver Twist: I want summore!
Labels: anwar ibrahim, badawi, cakaptakserupabikin, democracy, malaysia, pak lah, pm, politics, reformasi


posted by freelunch2020 at 8:13 PM | 1 Comments


Tribute to REFORMASi Heroes ~~ an evening of songs, poetry and performances

Venue : KL-Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, No.1 Jalan Maharajalela, 50150 Kuala Lumpur.
Date : 26th January 2006
Time : 8:30 pm

The call for reforms, or Reformasi, began in 1998. It has since been an important historical marker in our quest for political reform in the country.

This would not have been possible if not for the sacrifices of ordinary Malaysians, who have searched and worked for justice, freedom and genuine democracy.

In our collective struggle, we have lost many committed ‘reformists’ such as Ustaz Fadzil Noor, MGG Pillai, Umar Tan Abdullah, Haji Taib, Hajjah Ning, Cikgu Non and countless others.

“Tribute to Reformasi Heroes” is an evening of songs, poetry and performances, to commemorate those among us who have departed, and to celebrate the spirit of ‘Reformasi’ of those who remain in the journey for a brighter, better tomorrow.

The Guest of Honour will be Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Advisor to Parti Keadilan Rakyat (Keadilan).

For further information, please contact Ms Ginie Lim 012 669 3453 or Nasir Isa 019 399 9744.

FREELUNCH: For my personal account of 1998 "Remembering 1998 : Anwar's violent fall from grace", click here (Desi: travel to her Blog-lah, you NOT lazybum!). For the record, I was never part of the Reformasi movement but was just an observer as I was in the midst of my university education in the UK. It was indeed an event that shocked the nation, and left many like me still in a sense of disbelief that Anwar Ibrahim has returned once again to recapture the country's imagination.
Labels: 1998, anwar ibrahim, malaysia, politics, reformasi


posted by freelunch2020 at 5:02 PM | 1 Comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Van Winkle buy UD10,000 coke stocks and sleep for 20 years, he will get 20 millions when he wake up. ;)

chong y l said...

moo_t:

20 years is TOO +LONG, tho +tis part of my Nama! Hlen is Miss Patience; knot Desi! I'm, watelse? Mr Knotty!:)