My Anthem

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Joining the Bloggers' Bandwagon...

Desi feels a little discomforted -- maybe "apprehensive" is the better word -- that when I surfed to WalhWithUs linked via Jeff Ooi's update yesterday (I read him daily to hear from one of two horses' mouth -- the orther being RockyBru) the developments concerning the NSTP et al's defamation suits against the two fellow Bloggers now making waves beyond the Malacca Straits and South China Sea.


Do I have grounds for my "apprehension"?
YOU -- Time's PRSON OF T%HE YEAR 2006! -- decide. Best you are advised to first check out the horse's mouth.Chew the grass then, spit out yor frankest and innermost food for thought. Meanwhile, I give ye my Comment dare ~~





MY perspective is just ONE BLOGGER's, for I do not represent any other though I have some good Blogger friends who debate, banter with me almost constantly. In the next PPS Bash, I think a few of them would want to BASH up, or down, Desi. But I have many Seconds, or Thirds, with me ... "Plagiarism" expert, thou heareth Desi?



"
Desi is reproducing his humble Comment made yesterday (Jan 23, 2007) at the said referred site because I truly feel this subject is of utmost concern to ALL BLOGGERS -- veteran, few years old like Desi, newbies alike -- and I stress that my views are just One Concerned Blogger's, and there is enough room for diversity and divergence of opinions. As I posted earlier: "Blogger's Realm as Diverse as Journalists'"

ylchong
Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
January 23rd, 2007 at 2:39 pm
Jeff Ooi and Ahiruddin Atan are actual persons who dare to reveal true IDs. Any initiative on their Cause also must reveal their true IDs, otherwise what standards are you following o=if not these TWO LEADERS?

You guys state as if we Bloggers in Malaysia are caught in a Cloak&Dagger situation, to wit:
“Admittedly, we are gripped in a total state of fear, and no one can trust no one. You may not even want to trust us, which is perfectly sensible and understandable. But knowing this country, we simply can’t take chances.”

Take a look in the mirror, you already have planted the seeds of fear and suspicion where in the first instance, there was NONE with me as a blogger who was inspired by Jeff and I started blogging 1-3/4years ago with my ID fully revealed.

I throw back this challenge to you: Show true grit, otherwise, cease and desisit because you can not rise to the clalenge (dilemma) faced by the owners of Screenshots (Jeff) and RockyBru.


___________________________________________________________________

I also am taking the liberty to reproduce below the Comment at the same site of a fellow Blogger (who I have interacted with and I know he's all for wide circulation of his views, so...); and I endorse the sentiments he expressed. ~~ DEsi



nathaniel tan
Says:
January 22nd, 2007 at 2:25 am

"Dear Walk With Us,

A good effort you have here, thanks for the work!

I would humbly and sincerely invite you to post the names of the people involved in this site, as while anonymous blogging may have its time and place, this may not be it. After all, without putting our name to our work, are we not after all being penembak curi?

Thanks again for your initiative!

Best wishes,

nat"


____________________________________________________________


One mGf a Malaysian based in Solomon Islands (seeking his wisdom dare?) expressed in a recent Email to Desi, extract~~

"desi
:
:

it is sad and a shock to hear bloggers being sued for political view. i know it is real this time but hope ppl of malsia dont get too embroiled in this issue and neglecting others urgent matters. i dont have time to read your full article except the one on the defence. will come back and read it later.
:
:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(truncated Email for obvious reason; other Kaypohchic stuff NOT relevant,
or ruled out of order by this hoRst!:( You may APpeal that I share, but my answer is NO,
unless that check for 20million comes with your Post:)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :)"


Chong YenLong
wrote:

First time my ER used the word "SANDIWARA" to describe
the latest going-us making international headlines. I
agree with your obs -- but one qualifier. This san(d)ywar
can't be ignored as IT IMPACTS ON ALL OF US bloggers,
esp civil-political ones (I believe I belong hear?).


I did ONE post on the issue, not saying much, but I
think it's best not to say too much becos it's such a
COMPOLEX ISSUE. Put it mathematically (knowing you're
science-inclined), it's akin to:

IMPACT (B) = SUM of f(B) + f (B+Po) + f(B+Pg) + f
(B+NGO) + f (MSM) + f (Others)

where B: Blogger
Po: Politician of Opposition
Pg: Politikus of BN
NG: all the activists not aligned with g mainly,
tho some are g-supported
MSM: mainstream media
and f is function, or relation of several variables.
Others: etc, etc, with minimal factoring efect.



:
:
:

Regards,

YL"


PS: NOTE: If you no understand, ask the Blogger sitted next you eg the hoRst @maverickysm.loogspot.com

DESI: Briefly, what I am saying is that the IMPACT on each of us Bloggers varies, depending mainly on where we hail from. The variety of bloggers defines the breadth and width of the Bloggers' spectrum, which is well nigh "infinite", just as wide ranging but covering different, sometimes over-lapping, as Fourth Estaters. Thre factors that influence the Impact include if thew Bloggers is also a politician, or P-wannabe -- BN or DAP, PKR or PAS, MCAP? -- or an NGO activist, or a Dr Mahathir supporter, or Anwarista (which Desi admits to being one from a few years ago!), or Pak Lah admirer (Don't write the PM off, for many ER enjoy Rip van Winkle, I think!), "... et cetera, et cetera..." as YuklBrynner
sang with a dismissive wave of his bare hands in "THe King and I". Frankly, Desi doesn't know why YB and the blardy k'ng's name cropped up in a discusion of the Fifth Estate. Never mind, maybe the Real Estate was on my mind -- One UMNO King Liveth In A "Small" House in Port Klang, remember?

_____________________________________________

Last, but not least, on Bloggers' bandwago cometh the Prime Minister; let the CEO have his lust say!
Many ER think he's a Ripped van Winkle, but I do not -- he's having 40 winks, sometimes 80, but he sees more than you and I do.
If you don't believe, ask the number 2 at The People's Paper -- double Datuk aMore!:(:(

The Star, page 3

Nation
Wednesday January 24, 2007


Bloggers must be responsible


LONDON: Bloggers must be responsible for what they write on the Internet as there are laws on defamation and sedition, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said.

The Prime Minister said these laws were enforceable and bloggers must bear in mind that they could not hide or take advantage of the Internet to do something that was against the law.

“They cannot hope to cover themselves or hide from the laws,” he told Malaysian journalists at the end of his three-day working visit here yesterday.

He said bloggers, just like newspaper journalists, must be responsible for what they wrote or risk facing legal action from others.


Abdullah was commenting on the legal action against bloggers Jeff Ooi and Ahirudin Attan by the New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd (NSTP), its deputy chairman Datuk Kali-mullah Masheerul Hassan, Group Editor in Chief Datuk Hishamuddin Aun and former Group Editor Brenden John Pereira.

He raised the question of “what was freedom without responsibility,” saying that laws must be respected.

On the lack of proficiency in English among teachers and lecturers, he said there was a need to improve the curriculum and methods to teach English in schools.

He added that Malaysians must understand that English was an international language.

Abdullah was responding to questions from journalists on the declining standard of English in Malaysian schools and universities.

Earlier, Abdullah told Malaysian students at the London School of Economics of the need for Malaysia to be competitive, pointing out the paces already made by the Chinese and India.

Related Story:
Bloggers to set up legal fund to protect their interests
(Go-lah, read from TheStar, pay RM1.20 that you saved by BoyCoting the NST!:(~~ DEsi, who gets no 30% for this pro-promo, and wan dis-promo.
Yes, I seem to be speaking in tongue, Some Bloggers are twisted indeed.
IUf YOU have no SENse of humour, or rumour, please boy/gal-cott Desiderata2000. I won't sue you. Because I can't afford a Lawyer. Mave, when are you qualified to give free/flee serbis?


PPPS:

A poem I think I composed during the Reformasi days (1999/2000) which rings some notes of relevance today~~


Questioning Mind

They talk in many tongues
Preaching salvation
And monopoly of the Truth


Breathing hellfire
On those who'd not stay
To sing the same saccharine song

You're a traitor to the Cause
If you should raise just a murmur
of any question

You'd die a thousand deaths
If you'd doubt the Elder's tongue
Or God forbid,
Challenge the wisdom of his Word

So remain a meek lamb
Another number in his obedient flock
Or else, bid farewell

Jump off this wagon quick
So that Heaven has one more
Vacancy to dwell.


Chong Yen Long

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

~~~~~~hmmmmmmmmm, the statement by pak lah is worrying. they just want to sue??? CHILDISH! anyway responsible blogging is important~~~but freedom of speech is too, they should have responded on the blog to defend themselves?
but how come RPK not sued? what about KMU?

Helen said...

Who defines the limit of freedom of speech? Its definition varies from individual to individual. Country to country.

The law of the country is the standard we all adhere to. To this point, I do not see anybody's right being violated.

Perhaps, (I repeat perhaps because it's just my opinion) NST did not do the right thing, but it's an undeniable fact what they're doing is within their rights. Those who are fighting for justice and freedom surely have to accept the concept in which all individuals (even NST) are afforded this very thing you are fighting for. Afterall, don't tell me the so-called freedom you're talking about is discriminatory, exclusive only to popular bloggers?

The implied notion circulating around the blogosphere we cannot trust the Law of this country to allow justice to run its course, IMHO, is more frightening.

chong y l said...

freelunch:

The present dilemma pits freedom of expression rights VERSUS individual rights to protect their reputation if they feel they have been defamed.
Hence the need for arbitration -- the court will sit and decide.
The question of whether Malaysia's judiciary can be trusted to operate independently of the Executive or other "parties", that's ANOTHER ISSUE altogether.

It tghen extends the struggle into POLITICS; hence when I sometimes promote PKR cause, I am NOT apologetic about it. We can't escape being involved if we plan to do something about the present ? state of affirs.

I thiunk I've digressed, nah mind, Helen is also Miss Patient!:)

chong y l said...

helen:

I rank your Voice, and Y&A johnleeMK's, as among the Voices of Reason and Common SENse involved in the debate.

I'm troubled to see certain forces of ANRCHY intruding into our very democratic space which we are trying -- they too (These anrchic forces) by their loud decibels! -- to preserve.

I shake my head -- it's early days and some parties are already shouting down "dissenting" voices.
I may reprise a Poem I once knocked out reflecting this dilemma:) You have time for poesy, also pusi, NOT pussy LOL! yes!:)

Anonymous said...

- English thingy.
WTF, he ask teacher to improve themselves? Did he just asking the teacher to DIY using their personal time and resources? Where is the plan from MoE to retrain the teacher? OMG!

- THE lawsuit.
I have my word here
http://caffeinbar.com/wp/?p=126

Desi, it puzzle me because everyday pass, the PM looks like a man trying to run MSM and play PR. The horse are wrong about the half-pass-six job, it should be in-Compe-ten-t.

John Lee said...

desi, I was absolutely astonished to see this nonsense about Pak Lah's comments on the rule of law being used to interfere with the judicial process. It's absolutely ridiculous. As I said, how on earth could you read Pak Lah's comments in that way? All he did was state that the law applies to bloggers as well - not that Jeff or Rocky are guilty, or that they should be found guilty. All he said was that bloggers (not even referring to any specific ones) are not above the law. How is this wrong?