My Anthem

Friday, March 18, 2011

One Week After...

Yes, it's seven days after 2.46PM Friday the week before when the 9.0magnitude earthquake struck northern Japan, followed swiftly by a tsunami that represented the phrase "ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE" with the fury 1,000 times more furious than a 1,000 women scorned. Okay I was just superfluous on my English but this is one episode on my short life on earth I never expected to witness. Thanks to television networks like CNN and BBC and AlJazeera and CCTV, the devastation that hit Sendai and all the northern region of Japan ...

BUT what then pumped the blood for the next anxious seven days was when REALITY DAWNED that the nuclear plant at Fukushima with its six reactors were not so easy to tame.

Our hearts still keep racing every time we haer of a new fire or explosion -- and helplessly we share the anugish of the victims in Japan NOT REALLY KNOWING "What the hell is going on..."


Seven days later, I can think of two features I would like to vocalise, even if it sounds cruel -- out of place, I don't know?

First, when the Japanese authorities decided to use helicopters carrying the huge drums of water to target the heating reactor/s -- hey, I share one news commenter's remark that that was really an act of desperation. The water dumping exercise appeared like one individual throwing a bucket of water over a bush forest raging our of control in Australia!

Only today I heard of the Japnese inviting the American (or other foreign?) expertise or personnel on board to try to reconnect the electricity to the nuclear plant to get the colloing systems working again -- that is,tackling the core problem at its source. WHY, I ask,ONLY ON THE SEVENTH DAY AND NOT EARLIER?

Have the Japanese peole in power -- the crisis managers and decision-makers -- been letting their pride get in the way?

This post was planned for the afternoon, but I hesitated if I should pen something so frank which might sound out of place, BUT...well, here it's...

(There's something else I held back; maybe I'd pen it on Sunday!:( ~~ YL, Desi)

No comments: