My Anthem

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Don't Think It's The Day The Music Died ...

SUNDAY INTER:LUDE

My contemplation today springs from a song in a gift album mGf presented me some time back, and I checked its lyrics only recently becaue I was tantalised by its liting melody, and yet it ended with the repetitive woeful, but mesmerising line~~~ the line

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED.

But I don't see the whole relevance -- just minor bits being suggested -- about the song's title and the lyrics, and I truly appeal my ER to educate me, especially those esssentially absobed by Big Brother cunty's culture. This is a neutral statement by the way, about Big Brother lest some LoveJesusSoMuch sisters take offence and again snap at me like Jaws! If you knoweth not what I'm talking about, it's better to follow Ignorance is Bliss policy -- you don't want to be introduced to the Great White! But to curiosity cats like SheStrikes! it's related to the Minishorts-MENJ outing that was All's Well That Ends Well (Though ill winds still boweth in that den ... you ask When? then you're not Blogsworld fan.

Okay, back from Digression, which is a Blogger's privileged, much abused here! I begin at the beginning~~~

I first checked Thesaurus.com for the meaning of the root word from which music springs -- "muse".

Main Entry: muse
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: think about
Synonyms: brood, chaw, chew over*, cogitate, consider, contemplate, deliberate, dream, feel, meditate, moon*, mull over, percolate, pipe dream, ponder, puzzle over, reflect, revolve, roll, ruminate, skull drag, speculate, sweat over, think, think over, turn over, weigh, woolgather

Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.2.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
* = informal or slang

The majority of us lead a routine life. Like a placid lake. No tidal waves. Calm waters.
We hardly notice the passage of TIME. Except for landmark occasions -- like Today, Father's Day.
Maybe those who celebrate BIRTHDAYS every year -- I term them brave souls! -- observe its annual rite of passage with great confidence. It takes a great optimist, to my mind, to constantly remember such Milestones. But the majority of people (including Desi mayhaps) in the subconscious avoid marking such milestones because they all lead to the Final Milestone which I won't mention because it's taboo, and we don't want to spoil a APi Dae like Today.


But sometimes we have to ask the question:

Is this all there is to LIFE until we die?
Are we ready to meet our Maker any time?
In a Meme(I did the LUST ONE a few dies back...) I spied at a fellow Blogger's, the climax was a question:
What would be your greatest wish before you die?

DESIDERATA has a ready answer. Partly, yes, definitely influenced by TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, I would like to gather all the Angels i have met togther at one place to celebrate the remaining hours of my life.

Who are these Angels? Do they exist?


I have answered the question before, and I reiterate: YES.
One mGf from Down Under reinforces that with "... ANGELS EXIST but sometimes, since they don't have
wings, we call them
FRIENDS."

If I ever had doubt about Man proposes, God disposes,
it vanished around the Ides of March 2005 when truly,
in all sincerity, I say "Desi was touched by another Angel."

And what has Angels got to do with today's Post Title?

My short answer is that the moment a person stops believing in having Friends -- or Angels without Wings -- in his/her life, that's the arrival of the Final MilestoneThe Day The Music Died., which to Desi, is the better title than American Pie, do you agree?

Artist: Don McLean Lyrics



A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.


But february made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step.


I can’t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.


So bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."


Did you write the book of love,
And do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so?
Do you believe in rock ’n roll,
Can music save your mortal soul,
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?


Well, I know that you’re in love with him
`cause I saw you dancin’ in the gym.
You both kicked off your shoes.
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues.

I was a lonely teenage broncin’ buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck,
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the music died.


I started singin’,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."


Now for ten years we’ve been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin’ stone,
But that’s not how it used to be.
When the jester sang for the king and queen,
In a coat he borrowed from james dean
And a voice that came from you and me,


Oh, and while the king was looking down,
The jester stole his thorny crown.
The courtroom was adjourned;
No verdict was returned.
And while lennon read a book of marx,
The quartet practiced in the park,
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died.



We were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."


Helter skelter in a summer swelter.
The birds flew off with a fallout shelter,
Eight miles high and falling fast.
It landed foul on the grass.
The players tried for a forward pass,
With the jester on the sidelines in a cast.


Now the half-time air was sweet perfume
While the sergeants played a marching tune.
We all got up to dance,
Oh, but we never got the chance!
`cause the players tried to take the field;
The marching band refused to yield.
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the music died?


We started singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."


Oh, and there we were all in one place,
A generation lost in space
With no time left to start again.
So come on: jack be nimble, jack be quick!
Jack flash sat on a candlestick
Cause fire is the devil’s only friend.


Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No angel born in hell
Could break that satan’s spell.
And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite,

I saw satan laughing with delight
The day the music died


He was singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
And singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."


I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news,
But she just smiled and turned away.
I went down to the sacred store
Where I’d heard the music years before,
But the man there said the music wouldn’t play.


And in the streets: the children screamed,
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed.
But not a word was spoken;
The church bells all were broken.
And the three men I admire most:
The father, son, and the holy ghost,
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died.


And they were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die.
"this’ll be the day that I die."

They were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin’ whiskey and rye
Singin’, "this’ll be the day that I die."


Of signioficance to Desi personally are following three highlights~~~

H1: ~
I saw satan laughing with delight
The day the music died


H2~~:
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed.

H3:~~~
The father, son, and the holy ghost,
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died.


I don't klnow if any of my more knowledgeable Readers have seen the movie detailed by Google extract as follows~~

American Pie (1999)
Directed by: Paul Weitz
Written by: Adam Herz
The Comedy is about a group of buddies taking a challenge before Prom Night that they would prove their sexual prowess by "scoring with the gals" before the night is up and out.

A opiece of trivia noted is the Certification: Malaysia:(Banned) (uncut version) / Malaysia:18PL (cut version) ; Singapore:R(A) / Singapore:M18 (DVD rating)


AMERICAN PIE
Desi extracted one comment:~~~~

"If you are a person easily offended by a film dedicated primarily to the glory of teen sex, you may well view "American Pie" as yet another in a long line of cinematic harbingers of the collapse of western civilization. If, however, you remember adolescence as essentially a period of unending coitus interruptus, you may well find yourself engrossed by this amusing, though admittedly crude, series of sexual and scatalogical gags woven around a plot involving the desperate attempts of a quartet of last semester seniors to lose their virginity on the fast approaching sexual armageddon known as "prom night."

As meager compensation for the moralists among us, the film does heavily promote the use of condoms and comes up with even more creative prophylactics for those times when a partner is not available."


"American Pie" is certainly not for every taste and there are those who would argue that it serves a less than salutary purpose as a guide for already sex-obsessed teenagers. Be that as it may, the film provides a fair number of hearty chuckles for those of us who can find humor in a group of backward youngsters experiencing the frustration and desperation we have all, at one time, experienced.~~~~ (ends Comment)



DESIDERATA:
If you have seen the movie, study the song Lyrics, and my thoughts above, please share your views here, especially highlight the threads of the Song and the Movie.

Desi had writ this poem year back, reprised here so that our YoungOnes won't go around after "failing" to prove themselves by Prom Night (University Graduation upcoming for people like Theels, Sabrina, Kyels, just mentioning a few here... okay, Johnleemk, Len Choong and Len Ng for balance -- Don't ever believe it's equivalent to the day the music died.


My Muse In Thee

Please Don't Stop The Music
In your presence
Feeling the tender beating
Of the dance of Life


Doing it in our time
In our rhythm
To our rhyme


I wish it's Eternity
In a world of intimate conversation
In speechless embrace of the eyes


Please don't stop the music
Of our special symphony
Of sweet, and sometimes wordless, melody


I find my Muse in you
I hope you too in me
So we can sing love songs
happy and sad songs
Okay, sometimes a nonsense song
where we belong
But it's always a hot 2-in-ONE
of ecstasy and agony
when May comes around
I still miss the
Muse in Thee


(C) copyleft to My Muse

8 comments:

JOEPSC said...

Desi,

The following two links explain everything you need to know about American Pie and The Day The Music Died.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/crash.htm
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/amerpie-1.htm

Two of my fav singers, Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens (with Jiles Richardson) died in the air crash on Feb 3 1959 - the day the music died!

Don McLean, writer of American Pie, alluded to that air crash and some other personalities (Mick Jagger, John Lenon, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, James Dean, The Byrds, Beach Boys, including political figures) figuratively.

Howsy said...

I have the whole trilogy of it and even the fourth one- American Pie: Band Camp!

One of the best trilogies ever made. Wished I had proms too...

Maverick SM said...

eh, now you become musician ah? Got new song or not? The American pie has now turn into a sugar pie.

chong y l said...

hi brudder joe:

Thou art alays the Encyclopaedia for Filmdom -- IF desi's to write a historical novel, must get you 2B a consultant or co-writer. Be Prepared to answer clare's call and oso Be pauper prepared2!:) We'll share the Pooridge OK!

I visited your recommended links -- my, MY, I can do a Masters' thesis based on this song, movie and composer and his Buddy Holy Cow era alone. May even upgrade OIT to PhD -- join Mave SM and Howsy ranks, kiasissy!:(:(

Joe -- can forces? If successfool, it may be impetus of joint armed forces of Mal-Sin to join hands2, with or minus the bride withoout the G-strung!:)

I see Pak Lah and Lee HS s-miling on da ridge, still waiting for the Coy-Bride. We are the match-makers, I wonder IF you get a TUN-ship to sail beneath Dat BRIDgE? What will sinland gomen offer Desi, ah? Ha ha or he he...

chong y l said...

howsy/mave:

Now I can undersatnd why you're expanding mimi, nicole to Monica -- into TRI-logy eh? Hey, stick to BIO-logy; Mave into Law, Desi has no choice but butt into Sing-A-long-ology with Joe. Psc!:)

PS TO Mave only: Keep an EYE on this friend based in lundun -- don't wan him get into trouble venturing into Trysts and Trilogy.:(

dreameridiot said...

Wah, so long one ah, today...

Albatross around the gov's neck?
Ah, is it a sin that can be removed and cast away? Nah, i doubt it, it's a cancer that spreads throughout most of the body, even the 'better' parts arr indirectly affected as a result.

Perhaps, one day... one very fine day, you the narrator will be relieved of this burden to tell such cautionary tales?

sweetspirits said...

Arrh Music soothes thy soul my dear friend :)

Just logged by to wish you a Beautiful Day :)
tcz GB

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my cristian music lyrics site.
Have a great day!