My Anthem

Monday, January 28, 2013

Take a Bee Gees break, knot a Kit Kat

I am using one of my fave groups' number to take ye -- esp my Hindu fRiends -- on a holidae, to mark Thaipusam, maybe jest 24 late:).

Here's that LINK: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bee+gees/holiday_20015586.html

Kit Kat is knot gOod for thee -- especially you are already as olde as Desi OR the Bee Gees' bandwagoners.

But as my sifu says:~~~ Can you Guess who is my sifu? The first Commenter with the korek answer will get a signed kopi of Midnight Voices -- no, you won't get a treat at Lingam's -- that's for lawyers who refrain: Korek, Korek, Korek!!! Not matter what!


And POETRY set to music becomes an evergreen chart-topper, or izzit the OTHER WAY ROUND?
To Desi, Bridge Over Troubled Water comes first as both poetry and song, so why nit-pick like our politikuses fighting over a term like Ah lah. As I quoted Shakespeare often enought, A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WOULD SMELL AS SWEEET>>>.....from "Romeo and Juliet".


I quote for ye, my ER (which is short for ESTEEMED READERS -- if you don't no some DDC by now, Get the hear out of Hell!:) from my own write/rite/writHe -- see, how democratic can a writer get? I even allow my ER to select the word they want, ala Multiple Choice tests in our sec schools today, no need for long essays!:( OR :), yes, your choice.

Page  -126 -


9.2 Toward a Civil Society
Our country aims to become a fully developed, First World nation by 2020 – in materialistic, economic terms, the objective implied by developed nation status can be well defined, as measured in gross domestic product terms and other economic such as per capita figures. But in the intangibles – the character, soul and spirit, and the mindset of the people, that’s where the difficulty lies! We are still far from having attained a mature, civil society. Recently, many quarters, including deputy premier Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, have lamented that while the country can boast of infrastructure that rival the best in First World countries like the US, Britain or Japan. the people’s mindset is still of the Third World. This is evidenced by the people’s general lack of civic consciousness, with daily media reports of common littering, unkempt public toilets and “uncivil” behaviour when motorists take to the highway. Hence, while the country focuses on physical development, the mental and spiritual life of the individual Malaysian must not be neglected. For Vision 2020 to be achieved in the “holistic” sense, then both physical and economic features, and the soul and character of the nation. must progress in unison and tandem. Poetry has a significant role to play in the “civilisation” process of Malaysians. May the day dawn quickly so that while we proudly trumpet the Petronas Twin Towers as the highest such structure in the world, the citizens can also stand tall in terms of their grace, culture and heritage, displaying first World civic behaviour and tastes.

Malaysians may do well to heed this wise observation from Thoughts on Virtue11 by one of history’s great thinkers, Charles Darwin (who propounded the ‘Theory of Evolution’ in his opus, “Origin of Species”):
            If I had my life
            to live over again,

            I would have made a rule

            to read some poetry
            and listen to some music
            at least once a week….
            The loss of these tastes
            is a loss of happiness,
            and may possibly be injurious
            to the intellect,
            and more probably
            to the moral character.

I conclude with Bell’s recall in his Introduction  (p.7) to Desiderata that Ehrmann once told an interviewer: “At De Pauw I contracted a disease which I have never shaken off. The disease was idealism. Because of it, I did the thing in life I wanted to do – Writing.”





No comments: